University, USW ratify collective agreement
September 2, 2015
The tentative collective agreement between Queen’s University and the United Steelworkers (USW) Local 2010 is now in effect following a successful ratification vote by USW members earlier today.
The human resources committee of Queen’s Board of Trustees recently voted to ratify the agreement.
“I want to thank the negotiating teams for both the university and USW for their hard work over the past few months,” says Daniel Woolf, Principal and Vice-Chancellor. “USW members and all Queen’s staff play a vital role in the university’s continued success and this agreement will help to further the university’s academic mission within the limits of our current financial reality.”
The new, four-year agreement will expire on December 31, 2018. Highlights include:
- A one-time lump-sum payment of $750 (less applicable deductions) within 90 days of ratification
- A scale increase of 1 per cent across the board effective July 1, 2016, with eligible employees being moved to the next step within their salary grade
- A scale increase of 1.25 per cent across the board effective July 1, 2017, with eligible employees being moved to the next step within their salary grade
- A scale increase of 1.25 per cent across the board effective July 1, 2018, with eligible employees being moved to the next step within their salary grade
- A memorandum of agreement that reaffirms the parties’ shared commitment to the university pension project and sets out the process for engaging in that project.
Negotiations between USW and the university began in February of this year. Bargaining took place over 18 dates, three of which were conducted with the assistance of a provincially appointed conciliator. USW represents approximately 1,150 university general support staff.
In accordance with the university’s commitment to equity for all staff in the grades 2-9 employee group, the salary program for non-unionized confidential, managerial excludes and research, grant and contract staff will be aligned with the new USW agreement.