Recent peer-reviewed journals, books, book chapters and full referred conference papers published by Dr. DongMei Chen and her group (after 2007). A complete list of publications can be found at her CV or her google scholar profile.
- M. D. Hossain, D. Chen. 2022. A Hybrid Image Segmentation Method for Building Extraction from High-Resolution RGB Images. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. [PDF]
- S. Hutasavi, D. Chen. 2022. Exploring the Industrial Parks' Growth and Poverty Alleviation Through Space-Time Data Mining from Nighttime Light Images: A Case Study in Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC), Thailand. International Journal of Remote Sensing. [PDF]
- Y. Cheng, H. Liu, D. Chen, H. Liu. 2022. Human Activity Intensity and Its Spatial-Temporal Evolution in China’s Border Areas. Land, 11, 1089. [PDF]
- S. E. Jozdani, D. Chen, C. Prevost, B. A. Johnson. 2022. A review and meta-analysis of Adversarial networks and their applications in remote sensing. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation. 108:102734; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2022.102734. [PDF]
- S. E. Jozdani, D. Chen, W. Chen, S. G. Leblanc, J. Lovitt, L. He, R. H. Fraser, B. A. Johnson. 2021. Evaluating Image Normalization via GANs for Environmental Mapping: A Case Study of Lichen Mapping Using High-Resolution Satellite Imagery. Remote Sensing. 13(24), 5035; https://doi.org/10.3390/rs13245035. [PDF]
- X. Ouyang, D. Chen, S. Zhou, R. Zhang, J. Yang, G. Hu, Y. Dou and Q. Guo. 2021. A slightly temperature warming trend occurred over Lake Ontario from 2001 to 2018. Land, 10, 1315. https://doi.org/10.3390/land10121315. [PDF]
- S. Hutasavi, D. Chen. 2021. Estimating District-level Electricity Consumption Using Remotely Sensed Data in Eastern Economic Corridor, Thailand. Remote Sensing. 13(22), 4654. DOI:10.3390/rs13224654. [PDF]
- L. Wang, J. Yu, D. Chen, L. Yang. 2021. Relationships among COVID-19 prevention practices, risk perception and individual characteristics: A temporal analysis. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 18, 10901. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph182010901. [PDF]
- M. Burnett and D. Chen. 2021. Surface urban heat island effects on bio-productive rural land covers surrounding a low density urban center. Int. Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., XLIII-B3-2021, 539–550, https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLIII-B3-2021-539-2021, 2021. [PDF]
- S. E. Jozdani, D. Chen, W. Chen, S. G. Leblanc, C. Prévost, J. Lovitt, L. He; B. A. Johnson. 2021. Leveraging Deep Neural Networks to Map Caribou Lichen in High-Resolution Satellite Images based on a Small-Scale, Noisy UAV-Derived Map. Remote Sensing, 13, 2658. Doi: 10.3390/rs13142658. [PDF]
- M. Burnett and D. Chen. 2021. The Impact of Seasonality and Land Cover Distribution on the Consistency of relationship between Air Temperature and Land Surface Temperature Derived from Landsat 7 and MODIS at a Local Scale: A Case Study in Southern Ontario. Land, 10, 672. DOI:10.3390/land10070672. [PDF]
- H. Yao and D. Chen. 2021. Comparison of Apportionment Methods for Assigning Trip Data to Rezoned Traffic Analysis Zones: A Case Study of Toronto, Canada. The Canadian Geographer. DOI: 10.1111/cag.12675. [PDF]
- Liu, J., M.D. Hossain, D. Chen. 2021. A procedure for identifying invasive wild parsnip plants based on visible bands from UAV images. Int. Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., XLIII-B1-2021, 173–181, https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLIII-B1-2021-173-2021, 2021. [PDF]
- Hutasavi, S., and D. Chen. 2020. Socioeconomic status from space: Example of estimating Thailand’s sub-district household income based on remotely sensed and geospatial data. Int. Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., XLIII-B4-2020, 109–115. [PDF]
- X. Wang, P. Du, D. Chen, S. Liu, E. Li, W. Zheng. 2020. Change detection based on low-level to high-level features Integration with limited labeled samples. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing. 13:6260-6276. Doi:10.1109/JSTARS.2020.3029460. [PDF]
- X. Wang, P. Du, D. Chen, C. Lin, H. Zheng, S, Guo. 2020. Characterizing urbanization-induced land surface phenology change from time-series remotely sensed images at fine spatio-temporal scale: A case study in Nanjing, China (2001-2018). Journal of Cleaner Production. 274:122487. Doi: /10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.122487. [PDF]
- X. Zhang, L. Zhao, J. Xu, D. Chen, X. Wu, M. Cheng. 2020. Declining precipitation acidity from H2SO4 and HNO3 across China inferred by OMI products. Atmospheric Environment. 224:117359. Doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2020.117359. [PDF]
- X. Zhang, M. Cheng, L. Zhao, D. Chen. 2020. Estimating ground-level ozone concentrations in eastern China using satellite-based precursors. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing. 58(7):4754-4763. Doi: 10.1109/TGRS.2020.2966780. [PDF]
- P. Du, X. Wang, D. Chen, S. Liu, C. Lin, Y. Meng. 2020. Change Detection Approach Using Tri-temporal Logic-verified Change Vector Analysis. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 161:278-293. [PDF]
- S.E. Jozdani, D. Chen. 2020. On the versatility of popular and recently proposed supervised evaluation metrics for segmentation quality of remotely sensed images: An experimental case study of building extraction. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. 160:275-290. [PDF]
- X. Zhang, L. Zhao; M. Cheng; X. Wu; D. Chen. 2020. Urban ozone sink inferred from surface measurements in China. Journal of Cleaner Production. 253:119881. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.119881. [PDF]
- L. Wang, C. I. Ardern and D. Chen. 2019. Geographic variation in Cardiovascular disease mortality: A study of linking risk factors and building environment at a local health unit in Canada. In E. Delmelle, Y. Lu. (ed.) Geospatial Technologies for Urban Health. Springer Nature. pp:35-51. Doi:10.1007/978-3-030-19573-1_3. [PDF]
- Y. Feng; D. Chen; X. Zhao. (2019). Impact of Aerosols on Terrestrial Gross Primary Productivity in North China using an Improved Boreal Ecosystem Productivity Simulator with Satellite-based Aerosol Optical Depth. GIScience and Remote Sensing. 57(2):258-270. DOI: 10.1080/15481603.2019.1682237. [PDF]
- X.H. Zhang, Fan Xu, Yang He, X. Li, D. Chen, G. Wang, I. Shi. 2019. Estimation of Corn Chlorophyll Content Using Derivative Spectra in the O2–A Absorption Band. Frontiers in Plant Science, section Technical Advances in Plant Science. 10:1047. DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2019.01047. [PDF]
- S.E. Jozdani, B.A. Johnson, and D. Chen. 2019. Comparing deep neural networks, ensemble classifiers and support vector machine algorithms for object-based urban land use/cover classification. Remote Sensing. 11, 1713; doi:10.3390/rs11141714. [PDF]
- Song, M., Chen, D., Woodstock. K, Z. Zhang, Y. Wu (2019). A RP-MCE-SOP Framework to China’s County Level “Three-space” and “Three-line” planning – An integration of rational planning, multi-criterial evaluation, and spatial optimization.” Sustainability, 11, 2997; doi:10.3390/su11112997. [PDF]
- M. D. Hussain and D. Chen. 2019. Segmentation for Object-based Image Analysis (OBIA): A review of algorithms and challenges from remote sensing Perspective. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. 150:115-134. [PDF]
- Y. Feng; D. Chen; Xinyi Zhao. (2019). Empirical Models to Estimate Daily and Monthly Direct and Diffuse Radiation in North China during 2000-2016. Progress in Physical Geography: Earth and Environment, 43(1):80-94. [PDF]
- Y. Feng, D. Chen, X. Zhao, 2019. Estimated Long-term Variability of Direct and Diffuse Radiation in North China during 1959-2016. Theoretical and Applied Climatology. 137:153-163. DOI: 10.1007/s00704-018-2579-1. [PDF]
- Y. Feng, D. Chen and X.H. Zhang 2019. Atmospheric aerosol pollution across China: a spatio-temporal analysis of satellite-based aerosol optical depth during 2001-2016. International Journal of Digital Earth. 12(7): 843-857. DOI:10.1080/17538947.2018.1486892. [PDF]
- X. Ouyang, D. Chen, Y. Feng and Y. Lei. 2018. Comparison of seasonal land surface temperature trend, spatial variability and its elevation dependency from satellite-based products and numerical simulated outputs over Tibetan Plateau from 2003-2011. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 40(5-6): 1844-1857. DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2018.1482024. [PDF]
- Hussain, M., and D. Chen. 2018. Building-Level Change Detection from Large-Scale Historical Vector Data by Using Direct and a Three- Tier Post-classification Comparison. in O. Gervasi et al. (Eds.): Computational Science and Its Applications – ICCSA 2018, LNCS 10962 proceedings. pp. 1-17. [PDF]
- X. Zhang, X. Chuai, L. Liu, W. Zhang, X. Lu, L. Zhao and D. Chen, 2018. Decadal trends in wet sulfur deposition in China estimated from OMI SO2 columns. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres.123 (18):10796-10811. DOI:10.1029/2018JD028770. [PDF]
- Y. Feng, D. Chen, X. Ouyang, X. Zhang 2018. Variability of Satellite-based Total Aerosol Concentration and its Relationship with Meteorology, Emission and Landscape in North China during 2000-2016. Environmental Earth Sciences. 77(13):499. DOI: 10.1007/s12665-018-7685-y. [PDF]
- M. Song and D. Chen. 2018. An improved knowledge-informed NSGA-II for multi-objective land allocation (MOLA). Geo-spatial Information Science. 21(4): 273-287. [PDF]
- X.Y. Zhang, W. Zhang, X. Lu, X. Liu, D. Chen, L. Liu and X. Huang. 2018. Long-term trends in NO2 columns related to economic developments and air quality policies from 1997 to 2016 in China. Science of The Total Environment, 639 (15):146–155. [PDF]
- X. Ouyang, D. Chen, Y. Lei. 2018. A generalized evaluation scheme for comparing temperature products from satellite observations, numerical weather model, and ground measurements over the Tibetan Plateau. IEEE Transaction in Geosciene and Remote Sensing. 56(7): 3876-3894. [PDF]
- M. Song and D. Chen. 2018. A comparison of three heuristic optimization algorithms for solving the multi-objective land allocation (MOLA) problem. Annals of GIS, 24(1):19-31. [PDF]
- X.Y. Zhang, X.H.Lu, L.Liu, D.Chen, X.M.Zhang, X.J.Liu, Y. Zhang. 2017. Dry deposition of NO2 over China inferred from OMI columnar NO2 and atmospheric chemistry transport model. Atmospheric Environment. 169:238-249. [PDF]
- L. Liu, X. Zhang, W. Xu, X. Liu, X. Lu, D. Chen, X. Zhang, S. Wang, W. Zhang. 2017. Estimation of monthly bulk nitrate deposition in China-based satellite NO2 measurement by the Ozone Monitoring Instrument. Remote Sensing of Environment. 199(15):93-106. [PDF]
- X. Zhang, P.M. Treitz, D. Chen, L, Shi, X. Li. 2017. Mapping mangrove forests using multi-tidal remotely sensed data and a decision tree-based procedure. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation. 62:201-214. [PDF]
- A. Cheng, D. Chen, K. Woodstock, N.H. Ogden, X. Wu, J. Wu. 2017. Analyzing the potential risk of climate change on lyme disease in Eastern Ontario, Canada using time series remotely sensed temperature data and tick population modeling. Remote Sensing, 9(6), 609; doi:10.3390/rs9060609. [PDF]
- X. Ouyang, D. Chen, S.-B Duan, Y. Lei, Y. Dou, G. Hu. 2017. Validation and analysis of long-term AATSR land surface temperature product in the Heihe River Basin, China. Remote Sensing. 9, 152. d:10.3390/rs9020152. [PDF]
- J. Yu, D. Chen, Y. Lin, and S. Ye. 2017. Comparison of linear and nonlinear spectral unmixing approaches: a case study with multispectral TM imagery. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 38(3):773-795. DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2016.1271475. [PDF]
- D. Chen. 2016. Methods for detecting spatial and temporal aberration of disease outbreak in sydromic surveillance. In Y. Shi, F. Wang (ed). Applications of GIS and Spatial Analysis in Public Health (地理空间分析在健康领域的应用). Beijing: High Education Press (In Chinese).Pp.88-107. [PDF]
- T. Zhong, D. Chen, X. Zhang. 2016. Identification of potential sources of Mercury (Hg) accumulations in farmland soil using a decision tree method in China. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 13(11), 1111; doi:10.3390/ijerph13111111. [PDF]
- D. Chen, Y. Feng, X. Zhang. 2016. Comparison of Variability and Changing Rate in Tropospheric NO2 Column Obtained from Satellite Products across China during 1997-2015. International Journal of Digital Earth. Doi:10.1080/17538947.2016.1252435. [PDF]
- S. Wang, T. Zhong, D. Chen and X. Zhang. 2016. Spatial Distribution of Mercury (Hg) Concentration in Agricultural Soil and Its Risk Assessment on Food Safety in China. Sustainability, 8, 795; DOI: 10.3390/su8080795. [PDF]
- Y. Su, D. Chen and J. Yu. 2016. A targeted change-detection procedure by combing change vector analysis and post-classification approach. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 114:115-124. [PDF]
- A, Rosu and D. Chen. 2016. An improved approach for geocoding Canadian postal code-based data in health related studies. The Canadian Geographer. 60(2):271-281. [PDF]
- E. Yoo, D. Chen, C. Diao and C. Russell. 2016. The effects of weather and environmental factors on West Nile virus mosquito abundance in Greater Toronto Area. Earth Interactions. 20(3): 1-22. [PDF]
- Yao, H., and D. Chen. 2015. A system dynamics model for urban sustainable transportation planning. In 23rd International Conference on Geoinformatics, 19-21 June 2015, Wuhan, China. 10.1109/GEOINFORMATICS.2015.7378639. [PDF]
- X. Zhang, T. Zhong, D. Chen, M. Cheng, L. Liu, X. Zhang, and X. Li. 2015. Assessment of arsenic (As) occurrence in arable soil and its related health risk in China. Environmental Geochemistry and Health, 9751, DOI:10.1007/s10653-015-9751-7. [PDF]
- X. Sun, L. Li, B. Zhang, D. Chen and L. Gao. 2015. Soft urban water cover extraction using mixed training samples and support vector machines. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 36(13):3331-3344. [PDF]
- Y. Su and D. Chen. 2015. An unsupervised urban change detection procedure by using luminance and saturation for multispectral remotely sensed images. Photogrammertric Engineering &Remote Sensing. 81(8):13-21. [PDF]
- D. Chen, H. Wong, P. Belanger, K. Moore, M. Peterson, J. Cunningham. 2015. Analyzing the correlation between deer habitat and the component of the risk for Lyme disease in Eastern Ontario, Canada: A GIS-based approach. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 4:105-123. [PDF]
- X. Zhang, D. Chen, T. Zhong, X. Zhang, M. Cheng, X. Li. 2015. Evaluation on Lead (Pb) occurrence in arable soil in China, CLEAN-Soil, Air, and Water. DOI: 10.1002/clen.201400569. [PDF]
- Q. Miao, M Bouchard, D. Chen, M. Rosenberg, K. J. Aronson. 2015. Commuting behaviours and exposure to air pollution in Montreal, Canada. Science of the Total Environment, 508: 193-198. [PDF]
- X. Zhang, D. Chen, T. Zhong, X. Zhang, M. Cheng, X. Li. 2015. Assessment of Cadmium (Cd) Concentration in arable soil in China. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. DOI 10.1007/s11356-014-3892-6 . [PDF]
- Razavi, N.R, M. Qu, D. Chen, Y. Zhong, W. Ren, Y. Wang, L.M. Campbell. 2015. Effect of eutrophication on mercury (Hg) dynamics in subtropical reservoirs from a high Hg deposition ecoregion, Limnology and Oceanography. DOI: 10.1002/lno.10036. [PDF]
- M. Hussian, D. Chen. 2014. Creating a three-tier buildings classification by using large scale topographic and address-based data. In ISPRS Annals: ISPRS Technical Commission II Symposium (Volume II-2), 6–8 October 2014, Toronto, Canada. , 67-73. [PDF]
- D. Chen, B. Moulin, and J. Wu. (eds).Analyzing and Modeling Spatial and Temporal Dynamics of Infectious Diseases. Jones Wiley. 496p. ISBN:978-1-118-62993-2.
- Yoo, E-H, D. Chen and C. Russel. 2014. West Nile virus mosquito abundance modeling using a non-stationary spatio-temporal geostatistics. InChen, D. B. Moulin, and J. Wu. (eds). Analyzing and Modeling Spatial and Temporal Dynamics of Infectious Diseases. Wiley. pp. 263-282. [PDF]
- D. Chen, B. Moulin and J. Wu. 2014. Introduction to analyzing and modeling spatial and temporal dynamics of infectious diseases. In Chen, D. B. Moulin, and J. Wu. (eds). Analyzing and Modeling Spatial and Temporal Dynamics of Infectious Diseases. Wiley. pp. 3-18. [PDF]
- Chen, D. 2014. Modeling the spread of infectious diseases: A review. In Chen, D. B. Moulin, and J. Wu. (eds).Analyzing and Modeling Spatial and Temporal Dynamics of Infectious Diseases. Wiley.pp. 19-43. [PDF]
- Richardson, H. and D. Chen. 2014. Analyzing the potential impact of bird migration on the global spread of H5N1 avian influenza (2007-2011) using spatio-temporal mapping methods. In Chen, D. B. Moulin, and J. Wu. (eds).Analyzing and Modeling Spatial and Temporal Dynamics of Infectious Diseases. Wiley. pp. 163-176. [PDF]
- Wen, F., D. Chen and A. Majury. 2014. Spatial analysis and statistical modeling of the 2009 H1N1 Pandemic in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). In Chen, D., B. Moulin, and J. Wu. (eds). 2014. Analyzing and Modeling Spatial and Temporal Dynamics of Infectious Diseases. John Wiley .pp. 247-262. [PDF]
- Zhang Z, Chen D, Chen Y, Wang B, Hu Y, Gao J, Sun L, Li R, Xiong C. 2014. Evaluating the impact of environmental temperature on global highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) H5N1 outbreaks in domestic poultry. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health , Jun;11(6):6388-99. [PDF]
- Q. Miao, D. Chen, M. Buzzelli, K. J. Aronson. 2014. Environmental Equity Research: Review with Focus on Outdoor Air Pollution Research Methods and Analytic Tools. Archives of Environmental and Occupational Health. 69(4): [PDF]
- J. Li, Q. Shen, B. Zhang, D. Chen. 2014. Retrieving total suspended matter in Lake Taihu from HJ-CCD near-infrared band data. Aquatic Ecosystem Health & Management. 17(3):280-289. [PDF]
- Wu, Y., H. Zheng, B. Zhang, D. Chen, L. Lei. 2014. Long-term changes of lake level and water budget in the Nam Co Lake basin, Central Tibetan Plateau. Journal of Hydrometerology, 15:1312-1322. DOI: 10.1175/JHM-D-13-093.1 [PDF]
- Gu, F., Liu, W., and D. Chen (2013). Research on Dynamics of Urban Land Use Change Patterns. Xian JiaoTong Univ. Press. (In Chinese), 167p.
- Miao, Q.; M. Bouchard; D. Chen; I. Burstyn; J. J Spinelli, K. Aronson 2013. Assessing Traffic and Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Exposure in Montreal, Canada. Science of the Total Environment 470-471:945-953 [PDF]
- Zhang, Z.,R. Bergquist, D. Chen, B. Yao, Z. Wang, J. Gao, Q. Wu. 2013. Identification of Parasite-host habitats of Anxiang County, Hunan Province, China based on multi-temporal China-Brazil Earth Resources Satellite (CBERS) images. Plus One 8(7): e69447. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0069447. [PDF]
- M. Hussain, D. Chen, A. Cheng, H. Wei, D. Stanley. 2013. Change detection from digital images: from pixel-based to object-oriented approaches. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 80:91-106. [PDF]
- Zhang, B., Y. Wu, L. Lei, J. Li, L. Liu, D. Chen, J. Wang. 2013. Monitoring changes of snow cover, lake and vegetation phenology in Nam Co lake basin (Tibetan Plateau) using remote sensing (2000-2009). Journal of Great Lakes Research. 39(2): 224-233. [PDF]
- F. Xie, D. Chen, J. Meligrana, Y. Lin, W. Ren. (2013). Selecting key features for remote sensing classification by using decision-theoretic rough set model. Photogrammertric Engineering &Remote Sensing. 79(9): 787-797. [PDF]
- Jie, T., W. Tu, S. Tedders, D. Chen. 2013. A spatial-temporal analysis of low birth weight prevalence in Georgia, USA. GeoJournal, January. DOI:10.1007/s10708-013-9472-3. [PDF]
- Zhang, H., B. Zhang, D. Chen, J. Li, G. Zhao. 2013. Influence of filter band function on retrieval of aerosol optical depth (AOD) from sun photometer data. Journal of Atmospheric and Ocean Technology. 30:929-941. DOI: 10.1175/JTECH-D-12-00104.1. [PDF]
- D. Chen, R. Taki and W. Fan (2012). Using a genetic algorithm to optimize the inverse distance weigh (IDW) interpolation method. In Proceeding of GIScience 2012. Edited by N. Xiao, M-P. Kwan and H. Lin. Columbus, Ohio, USA, Sept. 18-21, 2012.
- E. Yoo, D. Chen. and C. Russell (2012). Site-specific prediction of mosquito abundance using spatial-temporal geostatistics. In Proceeding of the 10th International Symposium on Spatial Accuracy Assessment in Natural Resources and Environmental Science. Florianopolis-SC, Brazil, July 10-13, 2012. [PDF]
- Q. Miao, D. Chen, M Bouchard, J. J.Spinelli, I. Burstyn, K. J. Aronson. 2012. Associations between Socio-Economic Factors, Ethnicity, and Traffic Exposure in Montreal, Canada. In Proceeding of Conference on Environmental Pollution and Public Health (CEPPH 2012), Shanghai, China, August 10-12, 2012. Published by Scientific Research Publishing. ISBN: 978-1-61896-010-8.
- Hussain, M., Barr, R., Chen, D. 2012. Buidling-based urban land use classification from vector databases in Manchester, UK. In the GeoInformatics 2012 Proceedings, 1-7. June 2012, Hong Kong, C hina. [PDF]
- Chen, D.(2012). Spatial autocorrelation, in McGraw Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology.
- Z. Zhang, D. Chen, M. P. Ward and Q. Jiang. 2012. Transmissibility of the highly pathogenic avian influenza virus, subtype H5N1 in domestic poultry: a spatio-temporal estimation at the global scale. Geospatial Health 7(1):135-143. [PDF]
- B. Zhang, W. Yang, L. Gao and D. Chen, 2012. Real-time target detection in hyperspectral images based on spatial-spectral information extraction. EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing 2012:142 (13 July 2012) [PDF]
- Peng, D., B. Zhang, L. Liu, D. H. Fang, D. Chen, Y. Hu, and L. Liu. 2012. Characteristics and drives of global NDVI-based FPAR from 1982 to 2006. Global Biogeochemical Cycles. 26(3). GB3015, doi:10.1029/2011GB004060. [PDF]
- Zhang, Z., R. Zhu, N.R. Bergquist, D. Chen, Y. Chen, L. Zhang, J. Guo, F. Zhao, Q. Jiang. (2012) Spatial comparison of areas at risk for schistosomiasis in the hilly and mountainous regions in the People’s Republic of China: evaluation of the long-term effect of the 10-year World Bank Loan Project. Geospatial Health, 6(2): 205-214. [PDF]
- Zhang Z., Chen D, Chen Y, Davies TM, Vaillancourt JP, Liu WB. 2012. Risk signals of an influenza pandemic caused by highly pathogenic avian influenza subtype H5N1: Spatio-temporal perspectives. The Veterinary Journal. 192(3): 417-421. [PDF]
- Peng, D., B. Zhang, L. Liu, D. Chen, H. Fang, and Y. Hu. (2012). Seasonal dynamic pattern analysis on global FPAR derived from AVHRR GIMMS NDVI. International Journal of Digital Earth. 5(5): 439-455. DOI: 10.1080/17538947.2011.596579. [PDF]
- D. Chen and M. Hussain (2011). An object-based data mining framework for change detection in urban areas from very high resolution images. In processing of International Symposium on Remote Sensing and GIS method for Change Detection and Spatio-temporal Modeling, Hongkong, Dec. 14-17, 2011.
- L. Wang, S. Stalker, C.I. Ardern, S. Hoetmer, W. Kou, P. Simmons, S. Cholewa, D. Chen (2011). Development of a spatial analytic framework for cardiovascular disease surveillance, Scientific Journal Chronic Diseases and Injuries in Canada (CDIC).
- Y. Zhang, H. Xi, J. Hu, Y. Zhu, D. Chen (2011). Analysis of rocky desertification monitoring using MODIS data in western Guangxi, China. In Advances in Data, Methods, Models and their Applications in Geoscience. Edited by D. Chen, pp. 299-312. [PDF]
- Chen, D. (eds). 2011. Advances in Data, Methods, Models and their Applications in Geoscience. InTech Press. 336p. ISBN 978-953-307-737-6.
- Chen, D. J. Cunningham, K. Moore, J. Tian. (2011). Spatial and temporal aberration detection for disease outbreak in sydromic surveillance. Annals of Geographic Information System.17(4):211-220. [PDF]
- Zhang, B. Wu Y., Zhu L., Wang J., Li J., Chen D. (2011). Estimation and trend detection of water storage at Nam Co Lake, central Tibetan Plateau. Journal of Hydrology. 405(1-2):161-170. Doi:10.10.16/j.jhydrol.2011.05.018. [PDF]
- S. Li, D. Chen, L. Gao, M. Peng, B. Zhang. (2011). Adaptive support vector machine and Markov Random Field model for classifying hyperspectral imagery. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing. 5, 053538; doi:10.1117/1.3609847 [PDF]
- Delmelle, E., N. Nagle, and D. Chen. (2011). Handbook of Applied Spatial Analysis: Software Tools, Methods and Applications by Manfred Fischer and Arthur Getis, Handbook of Spatial Statistics by Alan E. Gelfand, Peter J. Diggle, Montserrat Fuentes, and Peter Guttorp and The SAGE Handbook of Spatial Analysis by A. Stewart and Peter A. Rogerson. Geographic Analysis. 43(3): 339-343. [PDF]
- Zhang Z.J, D. Chen, W. Liu, JS. Racine, S.H. Ong, Y. Chen, G. Zhao, Q. Jiang. (2011). Nonparametric evaluation of dynamic disease risk: a spatio-temporal kernel approach. PLoS ONE, 6(3): e17381. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0017381. [PDF]
- Luciani, P.D. and Chen, D. (2011). The impact of image and class structure upon sub-pixel mapping accuracy using the pixel-swapping algorithm. Annals of Geographic Information System. 17 (1): 31-42. [PDF]
- Zhang ZJ, D. Chen, W. Liu, L. Wang (2010). Evaluating the Impact of Climate Change on Global HPAI H5N1 outbreaks. Modelling for Environments Sake: Proceedings of the Fifth Biennial Conference of the International Environmental Modelling and Software Society Ottawa (IEMSS). edited by D. A. Swayne, W. Yang, A.A. Voinov, A. Rizzoli, T. Filatova (Eds.).
- Chen, D. and J. Tian. (2010). Monitoring spatial and temporal variability of air quality using satellite observation data: a case study of MODIS-observed aerosols in Southern Ontario, Canada, in Air Quality, Sciyo Press. Pp. 65-80. [PDF]
- Chen, D.(2010). Supervised classification. Encyclopedia of Geography, edited by B. Warf. SAGE Reference.
- Chen, D., W. Liu, J. Tian, and P. Luciani (2010). Evaluating ecological and environmental impact of urbanization in the Greater Toronto Area through multi-temporal remotely sensed data and landscape ecological measures. In Geospatial analysis and Modeling of Urban Environment, edited by B. Jiang and X. Yao. Springer. pp. 251-264.
- Zhang ZJ, D. Chen, Y. Chen, W. Liu, L. Wang, F. Zhao, B. Yao. (2010). Spatio-temporal data comparisons for global highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) H5N1 outbreaks. PLoS ONE 5(12):e15314. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0015314. [PDF]
- Tian, J. and D. Chen. (2010). Spectral, spatial and temporal sensitivity of correlating MODIS aerosol optical depth with ground-based PM2.5 across southern Ontario. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing 36(2): 119-128. 2010. [PDF]
- Tian, J., and D. Chen (2009). A semi-empirical model for predicting ground-level fine particle matter (PM2.5) concentration in Ontario from satellite remote sensing and ground-based meteorological measurements. Remote Sensing of Environment. [PDF]
- Liu, X., Gao, L., Zhang, B., and Chen, D (2009). A maximum noise fraction transform with improved noise estimation for hyperspectral images. Science in China Series F: Information Sciences. 52(9): 1578-1587. [PDF]
- Liu, W. and D. Chen.(2009). Spatial impact of organic maters from point sources on stream water quality. Mining Science and Technology, 19(2):256-261. [PDF]
- Chen, D. and H. Wei. (2009). "The effect of spatial autocorrelation and class proportion on the accuracy measures from different sampling designs". ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 64(2):264-282. [PDF]
- Chen, D. and J. FitzGibbon. 2008. Comparison of seasonal change detection from multi-temporal MODIS and TM images in Southern Ontario. in International Workshop on Earth Observation and Remote Sensing Applications, 2008. pp. 1-6. [PDF]
- J. FitzGibbon and Chen, D. 2008. Sensitivity of Landsat MSS and TM to land cover change in the Golden Horseshoe, Ontario, Canada. Paper in the Proceeding of GeoInformatics 2008, Guangzhou, China. June.
- Zhang, B., J. Li, Q. Shen, and D. Chen (2008). "A bio-optical model based method of estimating total suspended matter of Lake Taihu from near-infrared remote sensing reflectance". Environmental Monitoring Assessment 145:339-347. [PDF]
- Chen, D. (2008). "A standardized probability comparison approach for evaluating and combining pixel-based classification procedures". Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing. 74(5): 601-610. [PDF]
- D. Chen and M. Goodchild. 2007. Calibrating quantitative errors on categorical maps using the contingency table. Proceeding in the 5th International Symposium on Spatial Data Quality, 13-15 June 2007. ITC, Enschede, The Netherlands. [PDF]
- Tian, J. and Chen, D. 2007. Satellite remote sensing of particular matter and air quality assessment at a regional scale in Southern Ontario. Paper at Proceedings of GeoInformatics 2007, Nanjing, China. May.
- Liu, W. D. Chen, and N. Scott. 2007. Effect of cell size on resistance surface in GIS-based cost distance modeling for landscape analysis. Paper at Proceedings of GeoInformatics 2007, Nanjing, China. May 23.
- Chen, D. and A. Farrar (2007). "Evaluation of NEXRAD precipitation data for rainfall monitoring in Eastern Ontario, Canada". In Geomatics Solutions for Disaster Management, edited by J. Li, S. Zlatanova and A. Fabbri. New York:Springer-Verlag Berlin, pp. 103-116. [PDF]
- Chen, J., D. Chen, and D. Blostein (2007). "Wavelet-based classification of remotely sensed images: a comparative study of different feature sets in an urban environment". Journal of Environmental Informatics , 10(1): 2-9. [PDF]
- Tian, J. and D. Chen (2007). "Evaluating satellite-based measurements for mapping air quality in Ontario, Canada". Journal of Environmental Informatics, 10(1): 30-36 [PDF]
- Tian, J. and D. Chen (2007). "Optimization in multi-scale segmentation of high-resolution images for artificial feature recognition". International Journal of Remote Sensing. 28(20):4625-4644. [PDF]