Points of entry
- Keep windows and doors secured with adequate locks at all times, even when you are home.
- If a lock in your residence is broken, contact the landlord immediately.
- Secure sliding glass doors with a safety bar, which can be placed in the door track to prevent the door from being forced open.
- Keep a list of your valuable property in case anything is stolen from your house or apartment. Include the make, model, serial number and date of purchase of each item.
- Ask a trusted neighbour to pick up your porch deliveries when you know you will not be home
- You have the right to ask your landlord to change or re-key the locks to your unit before you move in.
- Never hide an extra key under a mat, in a flowerpot, or any other easily accessible place. Instead, give your key to trusted neighbours.
- Do not have anything identifying your address on your keys or keychain.
If you come home and find signs of forced entry, don’t go inside. Instead, go to a neighbour’s house and call 911.