Student Data Systems
Access to data is assigned based on the requirements of a staff member's official duties, including students' qualification for entry, establishing their performance in programs and courses, providing the basis for awards and government funding and assisting the University in the academic and financial administration.
This section describes the Office of University Registrar (OUR) guidelines and procedures, in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, for assigning access to student and applicant records. These records are collected to assess students' qualification for entry, establish a record of their performance in programs and courses, provide the basis for awards and government funding and to assist the University in the academic and financial administration of its affairs.
Also, as stipulated in the OUR's Student Applicant and Record Policy: Faculty and staff members of the University are given access to information contained in student records if they need to know the information in order to perform their official duties.
|Guidelines and Procedures|
1. Faculty and staff holding certain positions in academic departments (e.g., chair of undergraduate studies, departmental administrator) and Faculty Offices may request access to the contents of students' records contained in the student data warehouse, the degree list data warehouse, the student photo identification card database and the student information system.
2. The procedure for obtaining access to the contents of students' records in the data bases referred to in 1. above, requires the faculty or staff member wishing access to be approved by the Department Head and the OUR Security Administrator.
The Student Data Systems are a collection of private, confidential information about applications, students, and instructors, in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection Act.
The Student & Applicant Record Policy defines the rights and obligations of students and of the University and its officers in matters pertaining to student records and applications.
The Information Systems Security Policy sets out the responsibilities of members of the University community to safeguard information systems.
The Guidelines & Procedures for Assigning Access to Student Records describes the procedures administered by the Office of the University Registrar for assigning access to student data (See first section on this page for more details).
Access to the student data is assigned according to the required level of access as determined by a member's official duties connected with the purpose for which the data was collected (i.e. to assess students' qualification for entry, establish a record of their performance in programs and courses, provide the basis for awards and government funding and to assist the University in the academic and financial administration of its affairs).
All faculty and staff who need to have access to student data are required to complete and submit the Security Clearance & Undertaking Form to the Office of the University Registrar (OUR). If you currently have access to any of the Student Data Systems, then the OUR will already have a copy of your signed form; you'll be notified by the Student Data Security Administrator if this form is required for this application.
This system uses BI Query to access data that is stored in an Oracle database. There are a number of standard queries and reports available within the system to facilitate the production of the 'official' degree list.
How to Access
Please email Chyrle Campsall, Convocation Coordinator, if you require access to the Degree List System. Chyrle will arrange for the software to be installed on your computer, and for you to have access to the data, along with the necessary training and documentation.
A photo of current Queen's students is stored electronically and is used to produce student cards for academic and campus security purposes. The photo can be made available to Faculty or Departmental Offices as required.
Student photos are confidential data, just like any other piece of student information, and fall under the same privacy guidelines as a student's name, address, marks, etc.. The onus is on all University staff and faculty to ensure the confidentiality of the data as outlined in the Student & Applicant Record Policy.
- The Registrar's Office will not provide photos of any student who has requested complete privacy of their personal data. A request for complete privacy can be made by any student and would be granted for safety reasons only.
To Request Student Photos
- Please read the process outlined below, then contact the Photo ID Assistant by phone (74128) or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- For security reasons, we can respond to requests only from appropriate Faculty Office or Departmental administrators.
The Security Clearance & Undertaking Form must be completed before we give you the photos. If you currently have access to any of the Student Data Systems, then we should already have a copy of your signed form; you'll be notified if this form is required for this application.
You will need to send the Registrar's Office a list of the student numbers for whom you want a photo and the reason why. Send the .txt file(s) as an email attachment to email@example.com .
Please put the numbers into a text (.txt) file, one number per line, with NO dashes, such as
We will run a job to get the photos based on the file you sent. This job will create one jpeg file for each student in your list for whom we have a picture. For example, if you had 50 student numbers in your list, the job should produce 50 separate jpeg files, each containing a picture of the student whom the student number on the file name refers to, such as:
** Please submit all 7-digit student numbers without the leading 0. The only accepted 8-digit numbers will be for students whose numbers are 1#######, 2#######., etc. **
We will then contact you to send the photo files. You have two options to receive the files:
1) The Photo ID Assistant will place the pictures in QShare and e-mail you when they are available; or,
2) The Photo ID Assistant can send the pictures via ftp to your designated, secure computer
Employees of Queen's University who have access to information stored in the Student Data Systems must be familiar with the University privacy documents and sign an undertaking agreeing to use such personal information only as is necessary to perform legitimate University functions.
Faculty and staff members of the University are given access to information contained in student records if they NEED TO KNOW the information in order to perform their official duties. As a general rule, only employees involved in some aspect of academic administration or student affairs are given access to the contents of student records.
For example, individual instructors are not normally entitled to see any part of a student's record not directly related to her/his specific course, including past academic performance and letters of reference.
- Students: Please use SOLUS to request a transcript or to get a marks report.
- A variety of enrolment reports are available to the public from the Office of Institutional Research and Planning.
- We try to work on all Report Requests as quickly as possible; however, we can not guarantee same day service. We strive to provide a minimum turnaround time of 3 working days from the time of your request to completion of the project, but this is not always possible. Please do not expect same day service.
File a Request
To file a request for a report, you will need to send an email to SDW Help with the following information:
- Date Required
- Email Address (if different than the email address you are sending the request from)
- Contact Person (if different than the email address you are sending the request from)
- Answers to the following questions:
- Have you asked for this report before? If so, please include any information that you think would help us find the report so that we can run it again for you.
- What is the purpose of the report? (e.g., to mail out info or choose honour students, etc.)
- What are your criteria? (e.g., Academic year, term, department, degree program, degree type, attendance, etc)
- What information do you need to see on the report? (e.g., Student number, name, gender, etc)
- What sort order would you like the report to be in?
- What is the program name? (i.e., the name of the program that we ran for you to give the information previously - this is not the degree program name)
When a person who has access to any of the student data systems changes jobs within a department or within the University, they may or may not continue to have access to student data.
Access to all student data is provided for people to perform the specific duties of their current job. When a person changes jobs, and duties, then they may or may not continue to need access to the same student data.
The Registrar's Office is informed by Human Resources when anyone with access to any of the student data systems changes jobs, and unless you re-apply for access to the data to perform the duties of your new job, then your current access to all student data systems will be revoked.
To re-apply for access to any of the Student Data Systems, please refer to the instructions in the Request for Access section of this page.