September 30th marks the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, a designated day of remembrance to honour victims and survivors of Canada’s Indigenous residential school system. The federal government announced the statutory day in 2021, previously known as Orange Shirt Day.
It is a day to continue learning about the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action and our roles and responsibilities towards reconciliation as students, educators, researchers, and community members. The day is part of a larger conversation on the historical and ongoing impacts of colonization and systemic inequalities (including in education) that continue to marginalize Indigenous Peoples in Canada.
Below you will find an infographic that has been created by Lindsay Brant (Educational Developer - Indigenous Pedagogies and Ways of Knowing) to help you navigate how to talk to your students about the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation before, on, and beyond September 30th. Remember that reconciliation is not just one day! It’s a continuous learning/unlearning journey, and a commitment to meaningful action and relationship building.
How to Talk to your Students about National Day for Truth and Reconciliation (PDF, 35KB)
See below for more resources to support you in your learning:
- National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation
- The Gord Downie & Chanie Wenjack Fund’s recommended resources
- Reconciliation Canada
- Orange Shirt Society
- Save the Evidence Campaign
- First Nations Child & Family Caring Society’s ways to make a difference
- Queen’s University’s Yakwanastahentéha Aankenjigemi Extending the Rafters: Truth and Reconciliation Commission Task Force Final Report
- Truth and Reconciliation at Queen’s
- United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: Calls to Action
For some faculty specific recommendations:
- Engaging with the TRC Calls to Action (Toronto Metropolitan University)
A resource for curriculum developers:
- Antoine, A., Mason, R., Mason, R., Palahicky, S. & Rodriguez de France, C. (2018). Pulling Together: A Guide for Curriculum Developers. Victoria, BC: BCcampus.
More Resources from the CTL Office of Indigenous Initiative National Day of Truth and Reconciliation