Celebrating global perspectives through photography
March 7, 2023
The global perspectives of Queen’s students are reflected in this year’s submissions to the 14th annual Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) Student Photo Contest, illustrating the diverse experiences students bring to their studies, and what we can gain from seeing through each other’s eyes.
Contest winner Yinuo (Sarah) Zhang is an international student from China in fourth year Commerce, who captured her image, Pink Singapore, while on exchange at the National University of Singapore in 2021.
“I saw a pink sunset on the west coast, and it announced the end of my fantastic exchange life. Although the exchange is over, I think the sunset means that the story is not over and the sun will rise again in Canada,” Zhang says.
This year’s contest saw close to 130 students submit photos, and served as an opportunity for international and domestic students to highlight their interest in photography. The contest winners are chosen by a panel, which includes a professional photographer, that assesses the photographs based on composition, visual impact, and their creative message.
“This year we added a new category, ‘Student Life: We are in this together’, to provide an opportunity for students to share depictions of their lives and university experiences. We at the international centre, were thrilled to see such robust participation, and that most of the winners are international students,” says QUIC staff and project coordinator Hanna Bathurst (MEd’08). “This project opens a window into their world and their knowledge, talent, and experiences; students often share poignant images from their home countries, as well as exchange experiences. All this makes us collectively appreciate who they are, and what they bring to the university.”
In addition to the overall contest winner, the QUIC Student Photo Contest has highlighted winners in five categories:
- Critical Global Issues Category Winner: Empty City (Shanghai, China) by Jiawei Wen, BCmpH. International student from China
- People and Culture Category Winner: Market Day (Ogun, Nigeria) by Oluwamisimi (Simi) Oluwole, BSc Nursing. International student from Nigeria.
- Landscape and Nature Category Winner: Vastness of the Himalayas by Nilima Rai, PhD Gender Studies. International student from Nepal.
- Student Life: We are in this together Category Winner: Snow Angels by Jollene Lim, Commerce. International student on exchange from Singapore.
- People’s Choice Vote Winner: Icelandic Horses by Benjamin Kwan, BCmpH. Domestic student.
The shortlisted 2023 QUIC photo contest gallery is available here.