Preparations for upcoming winter closing
December 19, 2022
In preparation for the upcoming winter closing observed across the university, Queen’s employees are asked to keep energy management and sustainability in mind by turning off and unplugging equipment in offices and work spaces to avoid wasteful energy consumption and its damaging carbon impacts.
Here is a quick list of things to check and turn off in your office before leaving for the closure:
- Computer monitors or televisions
- Power bars
- Portable space heaters
- Other miscellaneous electronics
Please work together to ensure other items in the general office areas or kitchens are also turned off, checked or adjusted. These include:
- All copiers/printers
- Coffee maker
- Common area lights
- Ceiling fans
- Washroom lights
- Turn down thermostats (18C or 65F)
- Close windows (open windows can freeze up pipes and cause significant water damage)
- The last collection date for organics is Tuesday, Dec. 20. Please route all organics to garbage bins thereafter. TIP: If your department is using a small green organics bin in an office or kitchen space, be sure to wash and rinse it out before leaving for the closure!
- Please dispose of garbage and recycling as early as possible this week. The last collection date for garbage and recycling is Thursday, Dec. 22. Please ensure that desk side bins are emptied into the central waste stations located in the common areas of your buildings before noon on this date. This provides Custodial Support Services (CSS) with one last opportunity to check and empty these stations.
- There will not be any custodial service available Dec. 23 – Jan. 2 (inclusive) except where coverage has been pre-arranged.
Fridge/Freezer Operation: Check appliances for proper operation/temperature control to avoid spoiling of any contents during the closing. For those appliances with valuable contents, ensure surge protectors in place. If the fridge/freezer is being cleared of contents and unplugged, please plan accordingly and account for water production from the thaw of this equipment.
Report any ongoing water issues (ongoing leaks, broken toilets, or leaky faucets), lack of heating or exterior door/window issues to Client Services (Fixit) at 613-533-6757 prior to Dec. 22.
During the winter closing (after 4 pm on Thursday, Dec. 22, 2022, and before 8 am on Tuesday, Jan. 3, 2023), please report urgent issues to the Emergency Report Centre at 613-533-6080 (ext. 36080 internal). Examples of urgent issues include:
- Lack of heating or process cooling
- Broken windows
- Exterior door issues
- Active alarms
- Slippery/icy sidewalks or parking lots