Ph.D., P.Eng., FCAE, FEIC
Professor D. Jean Hutchinson is a professor in Geological Sciences and Geological Engineering, is a registered Professional Engineer in Ontario, and is a Fellow of both the Canadian Academy of Engineering and the Engineering Institute of Canada. A Geological Engineer by training, Jean practiced as an engineer for several years, first with the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, and later with Klohn Crippen Consultants, before joining first the University of Waterloo and then moving to Queen’s University. Jean specializes in rock engineering, site characterisation and risk management for mining and transportation infrastructure, with a focus on landslide hazards, and novel monitoring techniques.
Research Interests/Current Research
My research interests include multi-criteria risk assessment and management for geological engineering projects. I am interested in using new techniques for site investigation, including applications of terrestrial and aerial LiDAR and photogrammetry, and development of better tools for characterising rockmasses for engineering design. I have worked on developing risk based decision making, using geomatics and monitoring tools for large slopes. I have also conducted research on ground subsidence and geomechanics aspects of mine closure planning in the past.
Currently, I am a Principal Investigator on the Canadian Railway Ground Hazard Research program. My research is funded by NSERC, as well as by CP and CN Rail and Transport Canada.http://www.rghrp.com/
|Bonneau, D.||PostDoctoral Fellow Co-supervised by Dr. Scott McDougall, UBC|
|Farmakis, I.||Ph.D. Co-supervised by Dr. Nicholas Vlachopoulos, RMC and Queen’s.|
|Kelly, L.||M.A.Sc. Co-supervised by Dr. Mark Diederichs|
|Nuhring, Z.||M.Sc. Co-supervised by Rob Harrap|
|Troncoso Klein, C.||M.A.Sc.|
|Name||Year||Degree||Thesis Title||Link to Thesis|
|Bonneau, D.||2021||Ph.D.||Applications of Remote Sensing for Characterizing Debris Transfer Processes||https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/29193|
|DiFrancesco, P-M.||M.A.Sc.||Digital Rockfall Databases: Developing Best Practices for Semi-Automatic Extraction of Rockfall from LiDAR||https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/28748|
|Reich, K.||M.A.Sc.||The Application of Structure from Motion Photogrammetry to the Ontario Rockfall Hazard Rating System (RHRON)||https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/28691|
|Mitchell, S.||M.A.Sc.||An Assessment of Rockfall Triggers and Seasonal Weather Trends Through An Examination of Railway Slope Management Procedures||https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/29512|
|Aubertin, J.||2020||Ph.D.||Characterization of Rock Salt Response to Blasting using Terrestrial Laser Scanning Technology||https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/27953|
|Graham, A.||M.A.Sc.||Assessment of Rockfall Deformation and Related Geometric Characteristics via Terrestrial Laser Scanning||https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/28021|
|Carter, R.||2018||M.A.Sc.||Identifying rockfall hazards in the Fraser Canyon, British Columbia: a semi-automated approach to the classification and assessment of topographic information from airborne LiDAR and orthoimagery||https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/24935|
|Sala, Z.||M.A.Sc.||Game-Engine Based Rockfall Modelling: Testing and Application of a New Rockfall Simulation Tool||https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/24940|
|Ruel, M.||MAGS||A Deep Seated Landslide in the Assiniboine River Valley of Manitoba||N/A|
|Kromer, R.||2017||Ph.D.||Identifying and Monitoring Rockfall Precursors Using Terrestrial Laser Scanning for Improved Rockfall Hazard Management||https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/22765|
|Rowe, E.||M.A.Sc.||An examination of structural constraints on rockfall behaviour using remotely sensed data||https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/22042|
|MacPhail, A.||MAGS||Analysis of the Feasibility and Applications of High-Speed, Mobile Photogrammetry for Long Term Monitoring of Highway Rock Cuts|
|Mand, D.||MAGS||Risks Posed by Landslide Induced Impulse Waves and Best Practices Used to Characterize and Predict Wave Runup.||N/A|
|Day, J.||2016||Ph.D.||The influence of healed intrablock rockmass structure on the behaviour of deep excavations in complex rockmasses||https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/15306|
|Ondercin, M.||M.A.Sc.||An exploration of rockfall modelling through game engines.||https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/14330|
|van Veen, M.||M.A.Sc.||Building a rockfall database using remote sensing techniques for hazard management in Canadian rail corridors.||https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/14925|
Kennedy, C. M.Eng. 2014.
Assessment of application of photogrammetry to rock slope stability assessment
Delaloye, Dani.* M.A.Sc. 2012.
Development of a new methodology for measuring deformation in tunnels and shafts with terrestrial laser scanning (LiDAR) using elliptical fitting algorithms.
Bailey, Brennan. M.A.Sc. 2011.
Investigation into the source and progression of railway track ballast layer fouling material for the CN Joliette, QC Subdivision.
Kalenchuk, Kathy.* Ph.D. 2010.
Multi-dimensional analysis of large, complex slope instability.
Lato, Matt.* Ph.D. 2010.
Geotechnical applications of LiDAR pertaining to geomechanical evaluation and hazard identification.
Dunlop, Steve. M.A.Sc. 2010.
Rockslides in a changing climate: Establishing relationships between meteorological conditions and rockslides in southwestern Norway for the purposes of developing a hazard forecast system.
Quinn, Pete.* Ph.D. 2009. Co-supervised by Drs. Mark Diederichs and Kerry Rowe.
Large landslides in sensitive clay in Eastern Canada and the associated hazard and risk to linear infrastructure.
White, Maureen. M.Sc. 2007.
Geologic controls on instability in WWI excavations, Canadian National Memorial Site, Vimy, France.
Awards and Recognition
Major Service (Last 6 years)
|2020 to 2021||
|2019 to 2021||
|2017 to 2020||
|2017 to 2019||
|2012 to 2018||
|2016 to 2018||
|2012 to 2016||
|2009 to 2017||
- Professional Engineers Ontario - Registered Professional Engineer
- Canadian Academy of Engineering - Fellow
- Engineering Institute of Canada - Fellow
- Canadian Geotechnical Society: Rock Mechanics Division, Engineering Geology Division – Member
- International Association of Engineering Geology and the Environment – Member
- International Society for Rock Mechanics – Member
- Transportation Research Board, US – Member; Committee Member – Engineering Geology
Publications : Refereed
Hutchinson, D.J., and Diederichs, M.S. 1996. Cablebolting in Underground Mines. Vancouver: BiTech Publishers, 416 pages. ISBN 0921095376.
Hutchinson, D.J., and Diederichs, M. 2018. Rock Mechanics. “Encyclopedia of Engineering Geology”, eds (P. Bobrowsky and B. Marker), Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series: Springer International Publishing AG 2018. 10.1007/978-3-319-12127-7_245- ISBN: 978-3-319-73566-5, 796-797.
Hutchinson, D.J. 2018. Density. “Encyclopedia of Engineering Geology”, eds (P. Bobrowsky and B. Marker), Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series: Springer International Publishing AG 2018. 10.1007/978-3-319-12127-7_245-1, 978-3-319-73566-5, 209-210.
Hutchinson, J., Diederichs, M.S., Walton, G., Day, J.J., Langford, C., Vazaios, I., Palleske, C., Delaloye, D., Duran, F., van der Pouw Kraan, M., and O'Connor, S. 2017. Ch 2.1 - Rockmass behaviour characterization and optimal use of existing data to develop representative models. Pg 14-19. In S.U.M.I.T Program Journal. Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum, 112p. https://www.cim.org/en/Publications-and-Technical-Resources/Technical-Resources/Reports
Diederichs, M.S., Hutchinson J., Walton, G., Day, J.J., Langford, C., Vazaios, I., Palleske, C., Delaloye, D., Duran, F., van der Pouw Kraan, M., and O'Connor, S. 2017. Ch2.3 - Automated Characterization and Change Detection Within 3D Digitally Scanned Virtual Excavation Boundary and Borehole Models to Quantify Rockmass Deformation Response to Mining Over Time. Pg 24-26. In S.U.M.I.T Program Journal. Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum, 112 pages.
Diederichs, MS. and Hutchinson, DJ. 2013. Chapter 9: Capacite Portant du Roc. Canadian Foundation Engineering Manual French 4th Edition. Canadian Geotechnical Society.
Hutchinson, D.J. 2007. Section 3.2: Classification of Rocks (8 pages); Chapter 4.8: Investigation of Rock (6 pages); Chapter 9: Bearing Pressure on Rock (7 pages); Section 15: Calculation of stresses for anisotropic rock (1 page); Section 20.6: Capacity of Deep Foundations on Rock (9 pages). Canadian Foundation Engineering Manual, 4th Edition, (ed. I. Moore).
Lyle, R., Hutchinson, D.J., and Preston, Y. 2004. Landslide processes in discontinuous permafrost, Little Salmon Lake (NTS 105L/1 and 2), South-central Yukon. Yukon Exploration and Geology 2004, D.S. Emond, L.L. Lewis and G.D. Bradshaw (eds), Yukon Geological Survey, 193-204.
- Aubertin, J.D., and Hutchinson, D.J. 2022. Scale-dependent rock surface characterization using LiDAR surveys. Available online, 13 March 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2022.106614
- Aubertin, J.D., Hashemi, A.S., Diederichs, M.S., and Hutchinson, D.J. 2021. Elliptical blast cratering in low porosity soft rock due to emitted and reflected pressure waves interaction.Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 54, 5517-5532. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00603-021-02572-2
- Aubertin, J.D., Hutchinson, D.J., and Diederichs, M. 2021. Horizontal single hole blast testing – Part 1: Systematic measurements using TLS surveys. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 114(1): 103985. DOI:10.1016/j.tust.2021.103985.
- Aubertin, J.D., Hutchinson, D.J., and Diederichs, M. 2021. Horizontal single hole blast testing – Part 2: Findings and trends from SHB campaigns at two underground salt mines. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 114 (2): 103984. DOI:10.1016/j.tust.2021.103984.
- Farmakis, I., Bonneau, D., Hutchinson, D.J., Vlachopoulos, N. 2021. Targeted rock slope assessment using voxels and object-oriented classification. Remote Sensing, 13(7), 1354, 22 pages; https://doi.org/10.3390/rs13071354, 01 Apr 2021.
- DiFrancesco, P-M., Bonneau, D., and Hutchinson, D.J. 2021. Computational geometry-based surface reconstruction for volume estimation: A case study on magnitude-frequency relations for a LiDAR-derived rockfall inventory. International Journal of Geo-Information. 10 (3) 157, 27 pages. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijgi10030157
- Aubertin, J., Hutchinson, D.J., and Diederichs, M.S. 2021. Towards blast design guidelines for underground rock salt mines. Blasting and Fragmentation, 13 (2), 77-101.
- DiFrancesco, P-M., Bonneau, D., and Hutchinson, D.J. 2020. The implications of M3C2 projection diameter on 3-D semi-automated rockfall extraction from sequential terrestrial laser scanning point clouds. Remote Sensing, 12(11), 1885, 28 pages. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs12111885
- Bonneau, D., Hutchinson, D.J., Difrancesco, P.-M., Coombs, M., and Sala, Z. 2019. 3-Dimensional Rockfall Shape Back-Analysis: Methods and Implications. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 19, 2745–2765. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-19-2745-2019
- Bonneau, D., DiFrancesco, P-M., and Hutchinson, D. J. 2019. Surface reconstruction for three-dimensional rockfall volume analysis. International Journal of Geo-Information, 8(12), #548. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijgi8120548
- Bonneau. D.A. and Hutchinson, D.J. 2019. The Use of Terrestrial Laser Scanning for the Characterization of a Cliff-Talus System in the Thompson River Valley, British Columbia, Canada. Geomorphology, 327, 598-609. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geomorph.2018.11.022
- Sala, Z., Hutchinson, D.J., Harrap, R., and Gauthier, D. 2019. Simulation of Fragmental Rockfalls Detected Using Terrestrial Laser Scans from Rock Slopes in South-Central British Columbia, Canada. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 19, 2385–2404. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-19-2385-2019
- Day, J.J., Diederichs, M.S., and Hutchinson, D.J. 2019. Composite Geological Strength Index approach with application to healed intrablock rockmass structures. Geotechnical & Geological Engineering, 37, pages 5285-5314. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-019-00980-4
- Kromer, R. Rowe, E., Hutchinson, D.J., Lato, M., and Abellán, A. 2018. Rockfall Risk Management using a Pre-failure Deformation Database. Landslides. 15 (5), 847-858. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10346-017-0921-9
- Rowe, E., Hutchinson, D.J., and Kromer, R. 2018. An Analysis of Failure Mechanism Constraints on Pre-Failure Rock Block Deformation using TLS and Roto-Translation Methods. Landslides, 15 (3), 409–421. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10346-017-0886-8
- van Veen, M., Hutchinson, D.J., Bonneau, D.A., Sala, Z., Ondercin, M., and Lato, M. 2018. Combining temporal 3-D remote sensing data with spatial rockfall simulations for improved understanding of hazardous slopes within rail corridors. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst Sci., 8, 2295-2308. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-18-2295-2018
- Day, J.J., Diederichs, M.S., and Hutchinson, D.J. 2017. New direct shear testing protocols and analyses for fractures and healed intrablock rockmass discontinuities. Engineering Geology, 229, 53-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2017.08.027
- Kromer, R., Lato, M., Hutchinson, D.J., Gauthier, D., and Edwards, T. 2017. Managing Rockfall Risk through Baseline Remote Monitoring with a Terrestrial Laser Scanner. Canadian Geotechnical Journal: 54(7): 953-967, https://doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2016-0178.
- Kromer, R.A., Abellan, A., Hutchinson, D.J., Lato, M., Chanut, M-A., Dubois, L., and Jaboyedoff, M. 2017. Automated Terrestrial Laser Scanning with Near Real-Time Change Detection - Monitoring of the Séchilienne Landslide. Earth Surf. Dynam., 5, 293-310. https://doi.org/10.5194/esurf-5-293-2017.
- van Veen M., Hutchinson D.J., Kromer R., Lato M., Edwards T. 2017. Effects of Sampling Interval on the Frequency-Magnitude Relationship of Rockfalls Detected from Terrestrial Laser Scanning using Semi-Automated Methods. Landslides, 14 (5), 1579–1592, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10346-017-0801-3 https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/15382
- Kromer, R., Hutchinson, D.J., Lato, M., and Edwards, T. 2016. Gestion des risques géologiques sur le corridor ferroviaire du Canadien National. Geomatique. 42(4): 16-19.
- Day J.J, Diederichs, M.S. and Hutchinson D.J. 2015. Common Core: Core logging procedures for characterization of complex rockmasses as input into geomechanical analysis for tunnel design. Tunnels and Tunnelling International, 1, 26-32.
- Day, J.J., Diederichs, M.S., and Hutchinson, D.J. 2015. Effects of structural contact stiffness and strength on progressive failure of healed structure. Geomechanics and Tunnelling, 8 (5), 414-420. https://doi.org/1002/geot.201500027
- Delaloye, D., Diederichs, M., Walton, G. and Hutchinson, D.J. 2015. Sensitivity Testing of the Newly Developed Elliptical Fitting Method for the Measurement of Convergence in Tunnels and Shafts. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 48 (2), 651-667. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-014-0566-0
- Kromer, R., Hutchinson, D.J., Lato, M., and Edwards, T. 2015. Geohazard Management on the Canadian National Railway Corridor: A Multi-Sensor Approach. GIM International, December, 17-19.
- Kromer, R., Hutchinson, D.J., Lato, M., Gauthier, D., and Edwards, T. 2015. Identifying rock slope failure precursors using LiDAR for transportation corridor hazard management. Engineering Geology, 195, 93-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2015.05.012
- Kromer, R.A., Abellán, A., Hutchinson, D.J., Lato, M., Edwards, T., and Jaboyedoff, M. 2015. A 4D filtering and calibration technique for small-scale point cloud change detection with a Terrestrial Laser Scanner. Remote Sensing, Special Issue, 7(10), 13029-13052; https://doi.org/10.3390/rs71013029 Erratum published, 15 December 2015, see Remote Sens. 2015, 7(12), 16915-16916. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs71215865
- Lato M., Hutchinson D.J., Gauthier D., Edwards T., Ondercin M. 2015. Comparison of ALS, TLS and terrestrial photogrammetry for mapping differential slope change in mountainous terrain. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 52 (2): 129-140, https://doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2014-0051
- Lato, M., Gauthier, D., and Hutchinson, D.J. 2015. Selecting the optimal 3D remote sensing technology for the mapping, monitoring and management of steep rock slopes along transportation corridors. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, January, 2510, 7–14. https://doi.org/10.3141/2510-02
- Kalenchuk, K.S., Hutchinson, D.J. and Diederichs, M.S. 2013. Geomechanical interpretation of the Downie Slide considering field data and 3-dimensional numerical modelling. Landslides: 10: 737-756. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10346-012-0363-3
- Kalenchuk K.S., Hutchinson, D.J. and Diederichs, M.S. 2013. Downie Slide: Numerical Simulation of Groundwater Fluctuations Influencing Behaviour of a Massive Landslide. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, 72 (3), 397-412. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10064-013-0484-5
- Gauthier, D. and Hutchinson, J. 2012. Evaluation of potential meteorological triggers of large landslides in sensitive glaciomarine clay, eastern Canada. Natural Hazards and Earth Systems Science, 12, 3359-3375. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-12-3359-2012
- Kalenchuk, K.S., Diederichs, M.S. and Hutchinson, D.J. 2012. Three-dimensional numerical simulations of the Downie Slide to test the influence of shear surface geometry and heterogeneous shear zone stiffness. Computational Geosciences. 16 (1), 21-38. doi: 10.1007/s10596-011-9245-3
- Lato, M., Diederichs, M.S., Hutchinson, D.J., and Harrap, R. 2012. Evaluating roadside rockmasses for rockfall hazards from LiDAR data: Optimizing data collection and processing protocols. Natural Hazards, 60, 831-864. doi: 10.1007/s11069-011-9872-y.
- Quinn, P.E., Diederichs, M.S., Rowe, R.K., and Hutchinson, D.J. 2012. Development of progressive failure in sensitive clay slopes. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 49(7): 782-795, DOI 10.1139/t2012-034.
- Quinn P.E., Hutchinson, D.J., Diederichs, M.S., Rowe, K. 2011. Characteristics of large landslides in sensitive clay in relation to hazard and risk. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 48 (8), DOI 1212-1232. 10.1139/t11-039.
- Quinn, P.E., Diederichs, M.S., Rowe, R.K., and Hutchinson, D.J. 2011. A new model for large landslides in sensitive clay using a fracture mechanics approach. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 48 (8) 1151-1162, DOI 10.1139/t11-025. (R.M. Quigley Best Paper Award, published in the Canadian Geotechnical Journal, by the Canadian Geotechnical Society).
- Lato, M., Diederichs, M., and Hutchinson, D.J. 2010. Bias correction for Lidar scanning of rock outcrops for structural characterization Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 43 (5), 615-628. DOI 10.1007/s00603-010-0086-5.
- Quinn P.E., Hutchinson, D.J., Diederichs, M.S., and Rowe, K. 2010.Regional scale landslide susceptibility mapping using the weights of evidence method: An example applied to linear infrastructure. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 47 (8), 905-927, DOI 10.1139/T09-144
- Lato M, Hutchinson D, and Diederichs M. 2010. Geomechanical feature extraction and analysis using LiDAR data: IOC Mine. CIM Bulletin, Dec 2009 / January 2010, 4 (8), Paper 12.
- Kalenchuk, K., Hutchinson, D.J., and Diederichs, M.S. 2009. Application of spatial prediction techniques to defining three-dimensional landslide shear surface geometry. Landslides, 6 (4), 321-333. DOI 10.1007/s10346-009-0168-1.
- Lato, M., Hutchinson, D.J., Diederichs, M.S., Ball, D., and Harrap, R. 2009. Engineering monitoring of rockfall hazards along transportation corridors: using mobile terrestrial LiDAR. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 9, 935–946. DOI:10.5194/nhess-9-935-2009
- Lato, M., Diederichs, M.S., Hutchinson, D.J., and Harrap, R. 2009. Optimization of LiDAR scanning and processing for automated structural evaluation of discontinuities in rockmasses. Int. J. Rock Mech. & Min. Sci., 46 (1), 194-199. doi:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2008.04.007
- Lato, M., and Hutchinson, D.J. 2008. Mining for LiDAR data. Professional Surveyor Magazine, 28 (2), 10-14, and Cover Feature.
- Hutchinson, D.J., Diederichs, M.S., Pehme, P., Sawyer, P., Robinson, P., Puxley, A., and Robichaud, H. 2008. Geomechanics stability assessment of World War I military excavations at the Canadian National Vimy Memorial Site, France. Int. J. Rock Mech. & Min. Sci., 45, 59-77. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrmms.2007.04.014
- Nasseri-Moghaddam, A., Cascante, G., Phillips, C., and Hutchinson, J. 2007. Effects of underground cavities on Rayleigh waves – Field and numerical experiments. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 27 (4), 300-313. doi:10.1016/j.soildyn.2006.09.002
- Hutchinson, D.J., Diederichs, M.S., Carranza-Torres, C., Sheriff, C., Kjelland, N., and Harrap, R. 2006. Landslide hazard management: Using geotechnical monitoring, virtual process models and decision support technology. Felsbau: Rock and Soil Engineering, 24 (3), 24-29.
- Khan, A.H., Majid, A., Cascante, G., Hutchinson, J., and Pezeshkpour, P. 2006. Characterization of a cemented sand with the pulse-velocity method. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 43 (3), 294-309. https://doi.org/10.1139/t06-008
- Nasseri-Moghaddam, A., Cascante, G., and Hutchinson, J. 2005. A New Quantitative Procedure to Determine the Location and Embedment Depth of a Void Using Surface Waves. Journal of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, 10 (1), 51-64. https://doi.org/10.2113/JEEG10.1.51
- Phillips, C., Cascante, G., and Hutchinson, D.J. 2004. Evaluation of horizontal homogeneity of geomaterials with the distance analysis of surface waves. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 41 (2), 212-226. https://doi.org/10.1139/t03-085
- Hutchinson, D.J., Phillips, C., and Cascante, G. 2002. Risk considerations for crown pillar stability assessment for mine closure planning. Journal of Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 20 (1), 41-6 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013852722768
- Zerwer, A., Cascante, G., and Hutchinson, D.J. 2002. Parameter estimation in finite element simulations of Rayleigh waves. American Society of Civil Engineering Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 128 (3), 250-261. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2002)128:3(250)
- Hutchinson, D.J., and Nickson, S. 2001. Auditing cable bolting practice for underground mines. Transactions Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration, Inc., 310, 175-182.
- Hutchinson, D.J. 2001. Observations of Geological Engineering education in Canada. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, Springer Verlag, 60 (4), 337-344. https://doi.org/10.1007/s100640100
- Hutchinson, D.J., and Falmagne, V. 2000. Observational design of underground cablebolt support systems utilizing instrumentation. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, 58 (3), April, 227-241. https://doi.org/10.1007/s100640050078
- Diederichs, M.S., Hutchinson, D.J., and Kaiser, P.K. 1999 Cablebolt layouts using the modified stability graph. CIM Bulletin, 92 (1035), 81-85.
- Hutchinson, D.J. and Diederichs, M. 1996. The cablebolting cycle - Underground support engineering. CIM Bulletin, 89 (1001), 117-123.
- Shimizu, N., Kaiser, P.K., Diederichs, M.S. and Hutchinson, D.J. 1996. Overview of cablebolting in tunnels. Tunnels and Underground: Journal of the Japan Tunnelling Association, 28 (4), 43-52. [Japanese]
Select Refereed Conference Papers
List is available upon request – please contact Dr. Hutchinson.
Keynote/Invited Lectures (Last two years)
Hutchinson, D.J. 2020. Utilization of remotely sensed data in rock slope stability assessment. MTS Lecture, American Rock Mechanics Association. 54th Rock Mechanics / Geomechanics Symposium, Golden, Colorado, 28 June – 1 July, 2020. Note: Conference postponed due to COVID 19.
Hutchinson, D.J. 2019. Building slope process models considering engineering geology: Extending our understanding, interpretation and communication of instability using remotely sensed data. Glossop Medal Lecture, The Royal Institution of Great Britain, London, England, November 13, 2019.
Hutchinson, D.J. 2019. Evaluating rock slope hazards for linear infrastructure using LiDAR and Photogrammetry: Case histories from the Canadian Railway Ground Hazard Research Program. Invited lecture: Department of Earth Sciences, University of Sapienza, Rome, May 8, 2019.
Hutchinson, D.J. 2018. Understanding ground subsidence by integrating geology, geophysics and military history: “Reading the Ground” at the Vimy Ridge Memorial site in France. Invited DeFord lecture, funded by The Robert H. Cuyler Endowed Lecture Series, University of Texas at Austin, Jackson School of Geoscience, December 6, 2018.
Hutchinson, D.J. 2018. Transformative developments in remote monitoring applied to rock slope stability and risk management. Invited lecture to the Bureau of Economic Geology, Austin, Texas, December 7, 2018.
Espley, S., Diederichs, M.S., Hutchinson, D.J. 2004. "Method for performing wedge analysis for assessing wedge instabilities in underground openings". US Patent 6757642.
Diederichs, M.S., Espley, S., and Hutchinson, D.J. Method for performing wedge analysis for assessing wedge instabilities in underground openings. Patent # PC-4182/USA, Serial No. 09/709,828 applied for on 10/11/2000. Patents also applied for on 18/06/2001 in Canada, Sweden and Australia.