Faculty of Arts & Science
A place to learn, discover, think and do.

Upper Year Students

The most important thing on your mind in your upper years of your undergrad? Graduating of course, but before that you may need to change your plan or want to explore opportunities for International Exchanges in your third year. And once you graduate, work with Career Services to get you on your way.

Change Your Program/Plan

Decisions on Program/Plan requests will be made in 10 to 15 business days. If you wish to request a change to your Program/Plan you must submit a request using the Change of Plan application. Change of Plan ends typically around mid-July. If your request is approved, your Program/Plan will be changed and can be viewed by clicking on the "My Academics" tab in the SOLUS student Centre. If your request is denied, you will be notified via email by Student Services to your @queensu.ca account.

Students should note that admission to some Programs/Plans is highly competitive and may require specific prerequisites. If you do change your Plan, it may also require more than four years to complete a degree as you may need to complete key courses or prerequisites. It is highly recommended that students who wish to change Plans contact the Department concerned to seek academic advice.

Students may use the change of plan web application to request a change of degree program from:

  • Bachelor of Arts Honours (BAH)  to Bachelor of Science Honours (BSCH) or Bachelor of Computing Honours (BCMPH)
  • BCMPH to BAH or BSCH
  • BSCH to BAH or BCMPH

For more information on degree programs offered in Arts and Science, please visit Degrees at a Glance.

Student wishing to transfer to or from Visual Art, Bachelor of Music, Physical Education or Kinesiology, should visit the Change Your Plan page for more information.

DO NOT request a Change of Plan through this process if you are:

  • a Dual or Second Degree student. Such students should seek advice from Undergraduate Admission;
  • an upper year student who would like to drop the Minor component of your Plan. Students who wish to drop their Minor Plan should send an email to asc.registration@queensu.ca with their name, student number and any other pertinent information;
  • a Fine Art Honours Major/Minor (BFAH) student wishing to change your minor plan only.  The system will not give you this option.  To request a change of minor plan, please email us and we will forward your request to the department of the minor request.


  1. You may only submit one change of plan request.
  2. It is extremely important that you indicate your correct "current" program and plan.  If you do not, your request may not be sent to the proper department for decision-making.
  3. Please note, that the academic thresholds posted are not applicable to upper-year students wishing to change their plan.  All upper-year student change of plan requests are pending departmental approval which may or may not reflect the thresholds below.

Students who wish to drop their Minor Plan should send an email to asc.registration@queensu.ca with their name, student number and any other pertinent information. If you wish to keep the same minor you are currently in and only switch a major, please indicate that so that we do not drop you from the minor in error.

GPA and Academic Standing

Dean’s Honour List and Dean's Honour List with Distinction

Achieving a 3.50 or above GPA on all courses taken during an academic year (from Sept 1 to Aug 31) will place a student on the Dean’s Honour List.

To be placed on the Dean's Honour List with Distinction, a student must have achieved an academic year GPA in the top three percent (3%) of all students within Arts (BA, BAH, BFA, BFAH, BMus, BPHE, BPHEH) or Science (BSc, BScH, BCMP, BCMPH).  Based on previous performance levels, a minimum academic year GPA of approximately 3.90 in Arts and 4.10 in Science will be required. These values may vary from year to year. In addition, there may be no Incomplete (IN), Deferred (GD), Failure (F) grades, or repeated courses during the year in question.

Academic Progression

Students are expected to maintain a cumulative GPA of 1.60 or above to remain in good academic standing. Students who fail to achieve the following cumulative GPA standards when they are evaluated in May of each year may receive an academic sanction.

Cumulative GPASanction
Below 1.60Placed on Academic Probation
(if you are a new student or are currently in good academic standing)
Required to Withdraw
(if you are currently on academic probation)
Below 0.70Required to Withdraw

The first time a student is required to withdraw, it will be for a period of one year. They may then return to Arts and Science on academic probation. If they are required to withdraw a second time, it will be for a period of three years.

How will repeating a course affect my GPA?
If you repeat a course, only the highest grade earned will be used when calculating the cumulative GPA. Repeating a failed course: If you repeat and pass a course that you previously failed, your GPA will increase, likely to a significant extent. The previous failed attempt will remain on your transcript but the failing grade will be excluded from your GPA.

How will taking a course that is an exclusion of another course affect my GPA?
An exclusion* is a set of two or more courses that are not the same, but that have considerable overlap in content such that both may not count towards the requirements of your degree. Students are not normally permitted to enrol in a course that excludes one that they have already taken. If you obtain permission to take a course that is an exclusion of another course(s) that you have taken, the grades in all excluded courses will contribute to your GPA, but only the course with the highest grade will count for credit. For example: SOCY 211/3.0 and STAT 263/3.0 are exclusions. *Exclusions are identified in the Academic Calendar course descriptions or in SOLUS in the following manner: EXCLUSION: No more than 3.0 units from BIOL 243/3.0; ECON 250/3.0; GPHY 247/3.0; KNPE 251/3.0; POLS 385/3.0; PSYC 202/3.0; SOCY 211/3.0; STAT 263/3.0.

How will my transcript be evaluated externally?
Your Queen’s transcript is an important record of your academic achievements in university, but it is by no means the only indicator of your overall abilities: building a good resume and a network of individuals who can act as references is also very important. Having said this, it is important to remember that those evaluating your transcript are likely to be looking at a lot more than just your GPA. They are going to be far more interested in such things as: what courses did you take? How long did you take to complete your degree? How consistent is the student’s performance? How applicable are the skillsets and knowledge you have acquired as an undergraduate to the position/award to which you are applying?

Upper Year International Exchanges

Students who go on exchange usually do so in their third year, in part because the competitive selection process limits the number of exchange placements available. The degree requirements in many subjects of concentration are such that students pursuing a major concentration have maximum flexibility for study abroad in their third year of study.

The Faculty of Arts and Science has established formal exchange partnerships with over 85 universities in 24 countries worldwide and growing. Many of the partners listed are bilateral exchanges which are agreements between Queen's and another university.  There are also a number of consortial exchange which students can also apply to for exchange.  The partners are sorted by country and each country page contains some useful information and links to other resources to assist with researching your exchange country.

Learn more about Upper Year International Exchange opportunities >

Letter of Permission Transfer for Queen's Students

To take a course at another university and have the credit transferred back to your Queen's transcript, you must fill out a Letter of Permission application form [PDF], available for download at the Arts and Science website. If the course you wish to take is offered by a Canadian (domestic) institution, this application goes to the Student Services Office. If the course is offered by an international institution, you must fill out an International Letter of Permission application form [PDF] and submit it to the International Programs Office.

Your form must be completed and submitted along with printouts of the course descriptions (from the host institution's website) and the administrative fee for the application. You must be an Arts and Science student in good academic standing to be eligible to apply for a Letter of Permission. Guidelines for both the domestic and international procedures are available on the Faculty of Arts and Science webpage.

Please note that this form is only used to apply for the Letter of Permission and Queen's does not apply to the host university on your behalf. After you have received a Letter of Permission indicating that you may take the requested courses for credit transfer, you must apply directly to the host university for admission as a visiting student, using your Letter of Permission as your basis for admission. From that point forward, all dates, deadlines, fees and regulations pertaining to your registration in the course and your completion of the course are between you and the host university. When you complete the course, you must arrange for the host university to mail your official transcript directly to the office that issued you the Letter of Permission.

If the course was taken BEFORE you became a Queen's student, you must speak to the Admissions office about the possibility of retroactively transferring the credit. The Faculty of Arts and Science does not assess courses taken before admission to Queen's.

If this is the last course you need for graduation, be aware of the deadline date by which our office must receive your official transcript in order to confirm your eligibility to graduate. See the Sessional Dates section in the current Faculty of Arts and Science Calendar for more information.

Apply to Graduate

Requirements to Graduate

To graduate, students must have a minimum GPA on all courses taken at Queen’s (cumulative GPA), as follows:

Cumulative GPADegree Eligibility
1.60 or above3-year degree:
B.A., B.Sc., B.Cmp., B.F.A., B.P.H.E.
1.90 or above4-year Honours degree:
B.A.(Hons.), B.Sc.(Hons.), B.Cmp.(Hons.), B.F.A(Hons.), B.P.H.E.(Hons.), B.Mus.

Specific course requirements for all these degrees remain unchanged.

You may have completed your studies, but you will still have to make a formal application to graduate. Completion of the application to graduate does not guarantee the awarding of a degree / diploma / certificate. All applications are subject to academic review by the appropriate faculty or school, and approval by the Senate Committee on Academic Procedures (SCAP).

Application to Graduate

Now get ready for your big day...

Career Services

Career Services at Queen's is the central provider of career education and employment support services for undergraduate, graduate students and recent alumni. They offer a comprehensive range of accessible services to support and empower students in making informed decisions about their career, further education and employment goals.

As part of the Student Affairs portfolio and in partnership with members of the Queen's community, private, public, and non-profit sectors, they offer practical and relevant career and further education events, workshops, job listings, career counselling, drop-in career advising, and resources.  We also partner with organizations hoping to recruit excellent employee, internship or educational candidates.


Becoming a Peer Advisor

Peer Academic Support Service (P.A.S.S.) is a volunteer service that is run through the Faculty of Arts and Science to assist first-year students! The service is designed to ease student transition into university and to promote academic success. Peer Advisors address common questions and concerns (scheduling, plan requirements, SOLUS, and selecting courses) during confidential advising sessions.  Peer Advisors also deliver brief presentations to first year students on registration in the Winter term.

Time Commitment and Responsibilities

  • a time commitment of 1.5 hours a week throughout the academic year
  • training sessions and all staff meetings (~1 hour/month)
  • presentations to first year students in the Winter term
  • monitoring and reporting on the progress of the service

Benefits of Being a Peer Advisor

  • meet new people
  • gain presentation and leadership experience
  • learn details about academic life at Queen's including SOLUS
  • help others by sharing your knowledge and aid in first year transition 
  • gain valuable experience in confidential advising, especially for those interested in teaching or counseling careers


  • currently enrolled in an Arts and Science degree program at Queen’s University
  • academic Grade Point Average of 1.90 or greater 
  • relevant experience (extra-curricular involvement and volunteering) considered and asset
  • accountability and commitment to volunteer responsibilities
  • enthusiasm for the position

Application deadlines are usually in the spring.

Course Waitlists

Frequently Asked Questions
July 2014

For the 2014 registration period a class wait list option is available on a select number of Arts and Science classes.  The wait list option gives you an opportunity to join a wait list for a class that is full.  Not all Arts and Science classes will be set up with wait lists.  Click here to see which 2014-15 Fall-Winter classes have wait lists.

Why don’t all classes have wait list?
This is a pilot project to use a small number of single-section popular courses to test the way wait lists work in PeopleSoft and to determine how best to communicate the outcomes of auto-enrolment from the wait lists to students.  Once we have reviewed the success of the introduction of class wait lists and determined that it is successful, we will assign wait lists to more classes in the future.

How does the wait list work?
Once a class is closed (full), students may choose to join the wait list for the class.  When searching for classes in SOLUS, you must deselect the box labelled:  “Show Open Classes Only”.  If the class is open, you will see a green circle.  If the class is full and there is space available on the wait list, you will see an orange triangle.  If the class is full and all spaces on the wait list are full, you will see a blue square.

When you choose to join a wait list you will be informed of your position on the wait list.  Once a wait list has been initiated, the class will remain closed until the auto-enroll process is run.  The auto-enroll process will be run every two hours and will check for space in classes that have wait lists.  If there is space in the class, the next person on the wait list will be enrolled in the class.  
NOTE:  A student’s position on the wait list will not change unless a student with a lower wait list number is auto-enrolled in the course or removes him/herself from the wait list.  Therefore one student cannot normally move ahead of another student on the wait list.

If an enrolled student drops a class that has a wait list, how are students moved from the wait list into the class?
Students are auto-enrolled from the wait list into the class by their priority ranking in the wait list.  For example, if a class is full and 3 students drop the class, students in wait list positions numbers 1, 2 and 3 will be auto-enrolled from the wait list if there are no factors preventing their enrolment.  The student who was previously ranked number 4 will then be ranked number 1, and will be the next student auto-enrolled if another enrolled student drops the class.  This process will continue until the wait list is empty.

I see that there is a space available in the class, but the class is still showing as closed.  Why?
When there are students on a wait list for a class, that class will remain closed until all of the students have been moved from the wait list into the class.  In other words, when there are students on the wait list, another student cannot bypass the wait list and enroll in the class if he/she sees that a space has become available.

When can I wait list for a class?
A student may choose to join a wait list during the following time periods:
July 28 to August 1 – you may wait list for Fall and Winter Term classes
September 3 to 19 – you may wait list for Fall and Winter Term classes
September 20 to January 16 – you may wait list for Winter Term classes only

How many classes can I be on a wait list for?
July 28 to August 1:  During the summer class selection period, full-time students may wait list in a maximum of 3.0 units per term.  During this time period wait listed courses are included in your maximum term load of 15.0 units per term.   Part-time students may wait list for a maximum of 3.0 units per term.  During this time period wait listed courses are included in your maximum term load of 9.0 units per term.

September 3 to January 16:  During the Open Enrolment period, full-time students may wait list for a maximum of 6.0 units per term.   During this time period, wait listed courses are included in your maximum term load of 18.0 units per term.

TIP!  If you wish to enroll in the maximum units per term but also want to be on a wait list for another class, you must use the SWAP feature when joining a wait list, indicating which class you would like to be dropped if you are auto-enrolled from the wait list.  If you simply ADD the wait listed class you will never come off the wait list because that would exceed your term limit.

By adding yourself to a class wait list, you are acknowledging that you may be auto-enrolled and will therefore be responsible for the additional tuition and for dropping the class if you no longer wish to take it.

How many spots are there on the wait list?
10% of the class capacity has been set aside for wait list spots.  So, if the maximum capacity in the class is 100, there will be 10 wait list spots available.

Can I go on a wait list for a class that meets at the same time as another class that I am enrolled in?
Yes, but in order to do this you will need to use the “SWAP” function in SOLUS to put yourself on the wait list.  By using the swap function, SOLUS will add you to the wait listed course when a space becomes available and also drop you from the class you choose to swap.

How do I know where I am on the wait list?
When you choose to be added to a wait list you will be informed of your position on the wait list.  You can check your position on the list at any time in SOLUS.  If you decide that you no longer want to be wait listed for the course, you can remove yourself from the wait list in SOLUS.

What are my chances of getting into the wait listed class?
That will depend on your position on the wait list and whether or not students enrolled in the class decide to drop the class.

How will I know if I have been enrolled in the class I wait listed for?
You will NOT be notified of the success/failure of the auto-enrolment process.  You must login to SOLUS regularly to check your class status.  If you have been enrolled in the class you will see that class is no longer waitlisted and has been added to your schedule.

If I don’t get in the class, will I just stay on the wait list forever?
Class wait lists will be purged following the last date to add a class in the term in which the course is offered.

What would prevent me from getting on a wait list?

•    You are trying to add yourself to a wait list before the start of your enrollment appointment time.
•    You have exceeded the maximum number of units allowed for the term.
•    You are trying to exceed the maximum number of wait list units.
•    You do not meet the pre- or corequisites for the course.
•    There are no more wait list seats available for the course.
•    You have a hold on your record that blocks enrolment.

I am number one on the wait list and a spot opened up in the class but I didn’t get in.  How come?
You may not be auto-enrolled from the wait list into the class if any of the following have changed since you were added to the wait list for the class:
•    You added another class that puts you over the maximum number of units allowed for the term.
•    You dropped a class that was a pre- or corequisite for the wait listed class.
•    The wait listed class will cause a timetable conflict with another class in which you are enrolled.
•    A hold that blocks enrolment has been added to your record since you were added to the wait list for the class.

If none of the items above applies to you, please contact the Faculty Office for assistance.

•    You should enroll in open classes prior to requesting to be added to a wait listed class.
•    If you want to drop a class that you are enrolled in if you are able to be auto-enrolled from the wait list for another class, be sure to use the SWAP function in SOLUS to add yourself to the wait list.
•    You should check your enrolment regularly to see if you have been added to the wait listed class.  If you see that other students have been added ahead of you, you will know that there is a problem with your enrolment that is causing the auto-enroll to fail (see things to check above).
•    If you no longer wish to be on the wait list you must remove your request in SOLUS.
•    Once a class wait list has been initiated, no one other than the students on the wait list will be allowed to enroll in the class.  If spaces become available in the class and the wait list is also empty then the class will become open again.
•    Your position on the wait list will change only if other students ahead of you become auto-enrolled or remove themselves from the wait list.

Have Questions?

Call us at 613-533-2470 or email us.

Follow Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter