Faculty of Arts & Science
A place to learn, discover, think and do.

Transfer to Queen's

Students choose Queen’s Arts and Science because they want to excel.  And they do. You will be surrounded by bright and motivated peers, taught by some of the finest academics in the world, and experience Queen’s supportive atmosphere (whether you choose to study on campus or at a distance). We are focused on your success.

If you are completing your first year at another university, or you have completed or are close to completing a diploma program at a community college, and are interested in transferring to Queen’s Arts & Science, we are interested in hearing from you. We offer both full-time and part-time programs, both on-campus or by distance (online). See the links below for more information.

Queen's University may grant Transfer Credits to students coming from a number of different programs. Transfer credit assessment varies depending on the courses or curriculum that the student has completed, the student's scores / grades achieved in that program, the Queen's program that the student is entering, and the student's year of entry to Queen's.

Queen’s Arts & Science proudly adheres to the general policy on the transfer of course credits as adopted by the Council of Ontario Universities.  We recognize that, while learning experiences may differ in a variety of ways, their substance may be essentially equivalent in terms of their content and rigor.  

University transfers: We will transfer up to 54 units (out of the 120 required for a 4-year Honours degree) or up to 42 units (of the 90 required for a 3-year degree).

Three-year College Diplomas: We will transfer up to 30 units.

CEGEP (three years): We may transfer up to 18 units.

In all cases, we will endeavor to transfer those courses which provide you with the best headstart possible on your chosen Arts & Science degree.

Upper-Year Transfers

The Faculty of Arts and Science invites applications for upper-year spaces in the Bachelor of Arts and the Bachelor of Science programs. To be considered for full-time admission, upper-year applicants must have a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.6 (high C+). Some departments may require higher than a 2.6 GPA.

Definition of Upper-Year Students

  • students who have attempted a minimum 24.0 units (or equivalent) at another accredited university or college with a university transfer program. 24.0 Queen's units are typically 4 full-year courses (one course taken over two terms) or 8 one-term only courses. Upper-year candidates have generally attended university for a minimum of 2 terms.
  • Ontario community college students who are in a three-year diploma program and will be graduating.
  • Graduates from three-year Ontario community college diploma programs.
  • CEGEP students who are in the final year of  three-year professional/career programs who will be receiving their DEC.
  • graduates of a three-year CEGEP professional/career programs who have their DEC.

Due to space limitations, not all Plans are open to students transferring into the Faculty of Arts and Science.  After being admitted to an open Plan, upper-year transfer students will not be able to transfer into a Plan that was closed when they were admitted to Queen’s, or that closes subsequently.  This is the case even for those who take a qualifying course once in the Faculty of Arts and Science and receive a competitive average.

Steps to Transfer

  1. Choose from the programs below to learn more about the requirements and restrictions.
  2. Visit Ontario Universities Application Centre.
  3. Complete the Application Form.
  4. For all programs, upper-year transfer applicants will be able to apply between 1 February and 1 June.  As applications will be considered on an on-going basis, students are encouraged to apply early.

More information on how to apply for upper year transfer.

International Baccalaureate Transfer Credits (IB)

The Faculty of Arts and Science grants credit for some International Baccalaureate Higher Level courses. A maximum of 18.0 units may be granted for International Baccalaureate examinations passed with a grade of 5 or higher. For complete information on IB Transfer credits visit the Admission website.

Advanced Placement Transfer Credits (AP)

Queen's will recognize and utilize some Advanced Placement (AP) courses as prerequisite courses for admission. Students who have completed AP courses may be eligible to receive credits toward their degree. For more information on AP transfer credits visit the Admissions page.

FAQ's about Transfer Credits

How will I know which credits from my old school transfer to Queens’?

Transfer credits, if deemed to be transferable, are entered directly into your SOLUS accounts.

I took a course at my former school that I think should transfer but didn’t? What do I do if I feel my credit(s) should have been assessed differently?

If equivalent credit was not awarded for a particular course, or you feel it should have been assessed differently, you may request to the Faculty Office for a reassessment.

What is an 'unspecified (UNS) credit'?

It is not uncommon for several courses to transfer as general elective credits or as ‘unspecified’ (no specific subject or number assigned). While these credits will count toward your degree, they may not count toward your degree concentration.

Do my grades from my former school affect my Queen’s average?

Grades from your previous university do not transfer to Queen’s, therefore they do not affect your Queen’s GPA. Your ‘year’ level will be based on the number of credits transferred and will not necessarily be the same number of credits that you completed at your previous university.

Is there a minimum number of units I must complete through Queen’s?

Yes, there is a minimum number of units you must complete within Arts and Science at Queen’s (see the Academic Calendar).

When should I register for Fall/Winter courses?

If possible you should not wait for your Transfer Credits to Register for Fall/Winter courses. You will likely need the assistance of the Departmental Chair of Undergraduate Studies (CUS) or their assistant. We also recommend that you discuss your academic plans with the CUS in person or by telephone to ensure that you will be making satisfactory progress toward your intended degree. 

Have Questions?

Call us at 613-533-2470 or email us.

Follow Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter