University Animal Care Committee Standard Operating Procedure
Document No: 14.6
Subject: Checklist for using the Anesthetic Machine
Date Issued: March 2022
Location: Queen’s University
Responsibility: Principal Investigators (PI), Research Staff, Veterinary Staff
Purpose: The purpose of this Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) is to list the steps necessary for safe use of an anesthetic machine.
- Attach oxygen to anaesthetic machine and ensure adequate amount of oxygen for the procedure.
- Attach scavenge line
- Choose the appropriate circuit (non-rebreathing or rebreathing) and attach to the anaesthetic machine
- Check duration of use of the CO2 absorbent
- Check weight / duration of use of the f-air cannister
- Check Isoflurane levels – make sure it is full
- Pressure check the anaesthetic machine