The offices of the University Animal Care Committee (UACC) and Animal Care Services (ACS) jointly employ the integrated electronic application for Animal Ethics Approval and Animal Ordering.
Topaz Elements VPN has Moved from Cisco AnyConnect to FortiClient
Queen’s ITS discontinuing support to Cisco AnyConnect VPN on November 17, 2023. FortiClient is now used for Topaz VPN access. Use the following instructions to configure your FortiClient for Topaz.
- If you don't already have it, download FortiClient VPN via the ITS Software Centre.
- Configure FortiClient for the Topaz VPN using instructions for FortiClient (examples for version 6.0.9.0277 and version 7.0.2.0090).
- To connect, select the Topaz VPN and log in using your NetID/NetID password. You will be prompted to complete multi factor authentication (MFA) - make sure your phone is on and accessible.
- To access Topaz Elements follow the steps for PC or Mac below:
PC Users - Use the Elements Desktop Application.
MAC Users - Use Topaz Remote Access
- Download and install . Microsoft Remote Desktop (PKG 40 MB)
- Once installed, open the application.
- Retrieve the file by clicking on the link. RemoteElements Desktop(Mac Users) (RDP 1 KB)
- Edit and save the file.
- Drag and drop the RemoteElementsDesktop(MAC Users).rdp file into the application. It should create a remote desktop connection entry.
- Double click on the new profile in the application and it should launch the new connection.
- Authenticate using your NetID/NetID password and the Topaz Desktop Client should load in its own window.
- If required, type in topaz.queensu.ca/TOPAZElements.
- Then log in using your NetID/Topaz password.
- When finished using Topaz, click on the X in the top right corner of the desktop client window to close the connection.
Contact the UACC Coordinator if you have questions or require technical assistance of any kind (including password resets).
Subsequent connections to Topaz Elements
Returning users should connect to Topaz Elements as follows:
- Open FortiClient Topaz VPN and log in using your NetID/NetID password.
- Access Topaz:
PC Users - Open the Elements Desktop Application. Log in using your NetID/Topaz password.
MAC Users - Click on the Remote Desktop icon, then on the Profile and login with your NetID/NetID password. Once the Topaz Elements window opens, log in with your NetID/Topaz password.
Please, feel free to contact the UACC Coordinator if you have questions or require technical assistance of any kind (including password resets).
- All protocols must be completed in Topaz Elements and as per our submitted by the listed Principal Investigator. UACC Policy on Principal Investigator Responsibility (PDF 40 KB)
- The protocol has not officially been submitted until you receive an email confirmation stating so and the status of the protocol on the Dashboard has changed from Not Submitted or Returned for Modification to Submitted.
- Ensure protocols are submitted in a timely fashion to ensure no breaks in approval - follow meeting dates and submission deadlines for guidance.
- Contact the UACC Coordinator for access to Topaz or if you need your password reset.
- Complete all sections of the protocol and insert "N/A" if the requested information does not apply.
- All protocols undergo a preliminary review for completeness upon submission and incomplete protocols will be returned for modification.
- A protocol may cover multiple grants, as well as the use of multiple species and procedures, provided the scientific global aim does not include multiple standalone themes that would be better served by separate protocols.