Art Conservation FAQ

1. Chemistry requirement: What does three terms of chemistry mean? 

This means that we require 3 semester-length chemistry courses. One semester/term is approximately 12 weeks of classes. Three terms could be a combination of fall, winter, and summer/spring courses. The number of course credits out of these 3 terms of chemistry do not matter. You need 2 terms of post-secondary level general chemistry, which equals to 1-year general chemistry course, and 1 term of post-secondary level organic chemistry courses, all preferable with a laboratory component.

*Definition of Postsecondary education: Postsecondary education includes; college, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma (including 'centres de formation professionnelle'); university certificate or diploma below bachelor level; or a university degree (bachelor's degree; university certificate or diploma above bachelor level; degree in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine or optometry; master's degree; earned doctorate).Source: Statistics Canada. (2010, April 29). Retrieved January 7, 2019.

2. Can I still be taking any of the required courses when applying for the program?

Yes, you can. As long as your transcript shows that you will be or you are taking those courses and you will be completing all of the requirements prior to entering the program in September, you can apply for the program. However, a conditional offer may be applied in this case.

3. What do you mean by one year of a post-secondary course in a fine art studio or workshop practice?

We require one year of fine arts studio/workshop practice course because we would like the applicants to have some hands-on experience before entering into the program. Knowing the manufacturing process of what you would be working on will be a great benefit for yourself. This requirement can be fulfilled by a fine arts studio course at university, or volunteer work, evening art workshops, art school summer courses and so on. Some examples that you can count as part of your 1-year fine art studio or workshop practice are pottery making, bookbinding, or costume making experience.

4. Do I need conservation experience before applying for the program?

No, we do not require a previous conservation experience. However, if you have worked and/or volunteered at a museum, archives or conservation laboratory, that would be a great asset for your application. Please see the document here for suggestions on how to prepare for graduate study in art conservation.

5. When do you need the portfolio by?

The portfolio will only be required for those who are called for the interview which will be held in March. The portfolio does not have a standard style. It can be a printed hard copy, powerpoint, or you can bring your artworks. It can include things such as your previous work that show your hands-on skills, conservation experience, research work, or anything that you think will be relevant for the program.

6. What is the equivalent of humanity course requirements?

The humanity courses are required to take for both treatment and research stream students. Humanity course equivalents could include but not limited to history, anthropology, archaeology, philosophy, linguistics etc. Usually, your university or college state what courses follow under humanities.

7. What is the minimum GPA requirement?

We require a minimum of B+ GPA average. The primary focus will be on the last two years of your grades at your previous institution. Because the program is an academically heavy workload, this academic requirement is strict. However, if the applicant is not from a science background, we sometimes overlook the chemistry grades.

8. What is the equivalent of 4 year Honours bachelor degree?

Bachelor’s degree in Canada normally requires 4 years of full-time study. For Montreal and Quebec programs, university programs are often 3 years, therefore, a combination of post-secondary education such as CEGEPs plus the 3-year university degree will be the equivalent of the 4-year bachelor degree.

9. What are the funding options for prospective students?

There are some funding options for both domestic and international students.

Domestic Students

  • External Funding: available to students with first class academic standing
  • The Social Sciences and Humanities (SSHRC), Natural Sciences and Engineering (NSERC), Research Council of Canada Fund (Valued at $17,500.00) Deadline: Beginning of December 
  • Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS) (Valued at $15,000.00) Deadline: February 26th
  • Internal Funding: available to students based on academic merit
    • Graduate Entrance Award (GETA): Awarded to one incoming domestic MAC student per year. Value is variable, based on equivalent first-year domestic tuition.
    • Arthur B. McDonald Prize for Academic Excellent (AEA): Awarded to a domestic student who has achieved a first-class average, valued at $15,000.00
    • Queen’s Graduate Award (QGA): Discretionary funds that are awarded to most MAC students and especially to those students who have received little or no funding from other sources. Value is variable.
  • Fellowships: available to students with first class academic standing
    • R.S. McLaughlin/Bracken Fellowships:  Available to Ontario residents only, valued at $10,000.00
    • Senator Frank Carrel Fellowships: Available to Quebec residents only, valued at $10,000.00
  • Bursaries and Financial Aid: based on financial need
    • Government Student Aid
    • General Bursary
    • Work Study Program

International Students

  • External Funding: available to students with first class academic standing
    • Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS): Valued at $15,000.00
  • Internal funding:
    • Queen’s International Tuition Award (ITA): Valued at $5,000.00. Based on the difference between domestic and international tuition fees.
  • Queen’s Graduate Award (QGA): Discretionary funds that are awarded to most MAC students and especially to those students who have received little or no funding from other sources. Value is variable
  • Bursaries and Financial Aid
    • General Bursary
    • Work Study Program
    • Government Student Loan (through your country)

10. Can I contact the professors?

If you have any questions or want to make an appointment with any of the professors, please contact the Art Conservation Program Assistant, Stefanie Killen.

11. Do I have to put the more than one choice on my application? (for those of you who have already started the application, there is a section where you can put your first, second, or third choice out of three specialties).

A second or third choice is not mandatory to put in your application; however, if you do, there will be a higher chance that you would be considered as a prospective student. The number of applicants for each specialty is different every year. If you are a qualified candidate, but your first choice specialty has already met its quota, you may still be considered for your second choice.