Department of French Studies FAQ

FAQ – Inscriptions 2021-22

Est-il nécessaire de faire le test de placement même si je connais mon niveau?

Oui, le test de placement et la recommandation que vous recevrez vous permettront d’être sûr de débuter votre cheminement en français à Queen’s au bon endroit.

À qui devrais-je m’adresser si j’ai des questions sur mon programme (mineure, médiale, majeure ou certificat)?

Pour des questions sur les prérequis, le test de placement ou toute question générale, veuillez contacter Agathe Nicholson, administratrice du département. Pour des questions sur les transferts de crédits, les possibilités d’échange, les permissions spéciales ou toutes questions spécifiques sur votre programme, veuillez contacter le directeur des études de 1er cycle.

FAQ Registration 2021-22

Is it necessary to take the Placement Test even if I know my level?

Yes, the French Studies Placement Test recommendation will ensure that you start your French-language learning at Queen’s with the course that best reflects to your proficiency level.  

Who should I contact if I have questions about my minor, medial, major, or certificate? 

For questions about course requirements and the Placement Test and general inquiries, please contact the Departmental Administrator, Agathe Nicholson. For specific inquires related to transfer credits, AP credits, 2020-21 exchange opportunities, and special permissions, please contact the Undergraduate Chair.

When is my registration timeslot?

For information on your registration timeslot, please see this website from the Faculty of Arts and Science.

What do I do if I am missing a pre-requisite?

If you are missing a pre-requisite and have training or experience (other than the pre-requisite) that you think makes you well qualified to take a course, you can contact the instructor of that course to request that they consider you for a pre-requisite override.

Please note that pre-requisite overrides are at the discretion of the instructor, and cannot be granted by the Undergraduate Office.

How do I register for an “online” section of a course (rather than the remote offering that would regularly be offered on campus)?

To see “online” sections of a course, please switch to “distance career” in SOLUS.

I can’t find the course I want to take in SOLUS

Be sure to check both the “on campus” and “distance” career options in SOLUS to ensure you are seeing all courses offered this year.

Some courses are not offered every year. If you see a course in the Academic Calendar that is not listed in SOLUS through either “career” in SOLUS, it is not offered this year.

What is the “AAR”?

The AAR is the Academic Advisement Report. It is a handy tool that overviews what you have satisfied so far with respect to your degree plan requirements.

I need registration help—what do I do?

The best place for support with SOLUS is the Faculty of Arts and Science.

There is space in a course, how come I can’t register?

During the first round of registration appointment timeslots, many seats are reserved for students who require them for their degree plans. Don’t worry: these reserves will come off at open-enrollment.

NOTE:  All reserve capacities will expire for open enrollment. If you meet the pre-requisites for a course, and there is space, you will be able to register at that time.

Can you explain waitlists?

SOLUS has a waitlist process so that you can be placed on a waitlist in the event a spot opens up. You can go on a waitlist prior to open enrollment. If there is space at open enrollment, you will be automatically enrolled into the course (as long as you have space in your schedule).

For more information on waitlists.

I need non-academic support

Although we are working remotely, our student services are still available. Below are some of these resources that may be helpful:

Mental health appointments are available remotely via Therapy Assistance Online (TAO) for students who need to speak to a counsellor.

For general counselling inquiries, email

Medical appointments are available remotely (phone and online) for some requests. For general health inquiries, email

Health lifestyle appointments are available remotely for students who want help changing a health behaviour. For general inquiries, email

“TAO” is Therapy Assistance Online. This is an interactive tool for Queen’s students.

Empower Me is a 24/7 phone service for crisis situations and scheduled sessions that allows students to connect with qualified counsellors, consultants, and life coaches for a variety of issues. 1-844-741-6389 You can also log in to the Empower Me website and use "Studentcare" as the password or download additional Empower Me student assistance tools on the iAspiria mobile app. Enter "Studentcare" as the Login ID and select "Student" in the drop-down menu. Good2Talk for post-secondary mental health support - call1-866-925-5454, available 24/7 or text GOOD2TALKON/ALLOJECOUTEON to 686868