Queen's University




Education Abroad Experiences

Globalize your education and experience life in a different country

Make your Queen’s experience international through work, volunteering, credit or non-credit studies and internships, or directed travel in another country.

Semester or Year Abroad

A 3-4 month (one semester) or a full academic-year program abroad through which a student obtains credit from his/her home institution.

Work, Volunteer, Internship Abroad

A placement abroad, usually working in a pseudo-professional capacity, where the primary motivation is educational. Internships may be credit or non-credit, paid or unpaid.


  • The Career Advancement Centre assists students in finding summer employment. These positions are a great way to learn more about the business world, get involved with a specific industry and company, see if a job is the right fit for you, and support a student's development as a professional.


  • Alternative Practicum: The Alternative Practicum, completed by BEd candidates in March each year, may be done abroad and students can apply for funding from the faculty for travel abroad. Hundreds of teacher candidates have completed international placements in more than 75 partner countries over the past 15 years, in international schools as well as institutions such as museums, galleries, hospitals and theatres. See the Faculty of Education for more...

Engineering and Applied Science

  • Several Queen's engineering students each year find summer work through IAESTE, usually in Western Europe.
  • Queen’s Students for Systems Change (QSSC) (formerly known as Queen’s Engineers Without Borders) works on a number of projects throughout the year that have an impact locally and globally.

Health Sciences

  • Global Health: Medicine (including postgraduate medical education students), nursing and rehabilitation students interested in international placements/electives can contact the OGH.
  • Queen's Postgraduate Medical Education: Queen's offers postgraduate medical training, residencies and fellowships to applicants from all over the world. Applicants include sponsored visa trainees – residents and clinical fellows from the Middle East who enrol in postgraduate medical education programs through special agreements with their home countries. These trainees are fully sponsored by their embassy, university or employer. They train in Canada on a work visa issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada and after completion of their postgraduate training, they return to their home country.

Student Initiatives

[students in Japan]
Two Queen’s engineering students (John Lenz and Victoria Clark, pictured, right) spent a week in Nagoya and Tokyo through the Japan-Canada Student Forum (JACAC) – a yearly forum, hosted alternately in Japan and Canada, that brings students together for cross-cultural exchange. Read about the 2016 trip...

Field School, Field Study or Trip

A field school is a structured group-learning experience which takes place outside the classroom in a location which acts as a "home base" for studies. Learning centres around topics which are enhanced by the resources (cultural, environmental or academic) available at or near the field school location. Similar to a field school, a field study or trip but usually of shorter duration and not confined to a single base destination.


  • Kwansei Gakuin University Cross-Cultural College (Japan): Canadian and Japanese undergraduate students take courses with an emphasis on multiculturalism and international studies. Canadian student participants study in Japan for at least one week. Some program expenses are subsidized.

Department of Art History and Art Conservation

[Archeological dig in Caere, Italy]Department of Biology

  • Field Studies in Biology
  • Aquatic Biodiversity & Environmental Assessment, Canada-China Exchange Field Course: Participating Chinese Universities: Beijing Normal University, Fudan University (Shanghai), Southwest University (Chongqing), Tongji University (Shanghai)

Department of Classics

Department of Geography and Planning

Global Development Studies

Queen's Bader College

[students on field trip]

Located at Herstmonceux Castle in the heart of East Sussex (just south of London), Queen's "castle" is a home-away-from-home for students from all over the world who go there to share an unparalleled educational experience, enhanced by the deep history and multicultural possibilities present in the region, the country, and the continent.

A number of institutions around the world have agreements with Bader College to send their students to the castle for Queen's upper-year programs.

Summer School

Visiting Students

Visiting research scholars: School of Graduate Studies - International Students and Partnerships

Health Sciences: Undergraduate Medical Education visiting student electives program

Letter of Permission

A letter of permission allows students to temporarily transfer to another institution and have course credits transferred back to their home institution. Tuition and fees are paid to the host institution. Available to all Queen’s undergraduate and graduate students.

Arts and Science: Visiting students on a letter of permission may apply for non-degree studies in the Faculty of Arts and Science. Courses are currently restricted to those offered online through Arts and Science Online, and at Bader College.