Applications to begin a graduate program in philosophy in the Fall semester of a given calendar year close on February 1st of that year and open on October 1st of the previous year. For example, applications to pursue a graduate program in philosophy beginning in the Fall semester of 2022 open on Oct 1, 2021 and close Feb 1, 2022.
Applications for all graduate programs in philosophy are hosted online by the School of Graduate Studies (SGS). Information on how to apply online can be found here. The online application can be found here.
Applications for all graduate programs in philosophy require the following.
- Letters of Recommendation: Two current academic references are required. Requests for references are sent to your referees electronically via the online application, so please ensure you provide correct email addresses.
- Transcripts: Official, up-to-date transcripts for all current and previous study listed by the applicant in the 'Academic Background' section of their online application are required.
- Statement of Interest: A statement of reasons for wishing to undertake graduate studies in philosophy and areas of philosophical interest, normally not more than two double-spaced pages, is required. This is completed online.
- Current Course List: A list of all relevant completed and (if applicable) ongoing undergraduate and (if applicable) graduate courses is required. Include the course's name, number and level, and a short description of its content. This is completed online.
- Writing Sample: A sample of written work of approximately 10-15 double-spaced pages is required. The writing sample should demonstrate ability to do philosophy at an advanced level. The writing sample should be saved as a pdf., named <LASTNAME.FIRSTNAME writing sample>, and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline (February 1st).
- Application Fee: A non-refundable application fee (currently $110 CDN) is required for each application submitted. Once you have submitted your application online, you will be directed to pay this fee online via Visa or Mastercard.
Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores are NOT required of applicants to the Ph.D. program. Further questions about application procedures can be directed to email@example.com.
For more information on the Department of Philosophy's graduate programs, see Graduate Studies. For information on admissions, see Admission Requirements. For information on funding for philosophy graduate students, see Funding.
Applications for all graduate programs in philosophy are hosted online by the School of Graduate Studies (SGS). Information on how to apply online can be found here. Click below to begin your application.