Our English MA program balances intellectual exploration and academic rigour and is recognized by doctoral programs across the country and around the globe. All of our students are supported with a combination of grants and teaching assistantships; for more information about funding please visit our funding and awards page.
Designed to foster student success both in academia and pursuits in the workforce, the MA in English offers both Seminar-Based and Thesis-Based pathways. Both streams are filled with meaningful opportunities for professional development and scholarly growth, such as:
- Our unique, hands-on Literary Internship
- Conference Travel Awards
- Departmental Research Forums
- Professional Development Course
Our Two Streams for an MA Degree in English
The MA Seminar-Based degree emphasizes
- Small group immersion in literary and cultural topics
- Opportunities for Directed Reading courses
The MA Thesis-Based degree balances
- Seminars and other courses
- Individual Major Research Essay
- Research Creation Project
Opportunities after a Masters in English at Queen’s
Our Master’s students consistently demonstrate high rates of success in national awards competitions, in achieving entry into doctoral programs, and in securing employment in fields as varied as editing, publishing, teaching, law, civil service, business, NGO work, and information technologies.