The Master of Philosophy Degree in English Language and Literature is a two-year program—unique among Canadian universities—featuring intensive field-specific study, broad coursework, a Publishing Practicum and guaranteed entry into the Queen’s English Doctoral Program once the degree is completed. The MPhil in English will be of particular interest to those undergraduate students who are already contemplating doctoral research.
All of our students are supported with a combination of grants and teaching assistantships, for more information about funding please visit our funding and awards page.
Key Advantages After Completion of Degree
MPhil students choosing to move directly into the workforce upon graduation will have attained field-specific expertise, advanced professionalization, and evidence of research and writing skills through the Publishing Practicum.
MPhil students choosing to move on into doctoral studies will accelerate their dissertation work by three full terms.
Highlights of the MPhil Program:
- Small Seminars — diverse graduate-level coursework
- Field Examinations —excellent training for further graduate work and teaching
- Publishing Practicum — producing scholarship ready for submission
- Guaranteed Entry, with advanced status, into the PhD program at Queen’s following completion of the MPhil
What Can I Do With It?
- Teaching — the MPhil guarantees field-specific expertise
- Publishing or Writing — the MPhil offers concrete experience and mentorship, including the Publishing Practicum
- Queen’s English PhD — the MPhil track accelerates passage through the program, providing more years of funded time to work on the dissertation