For the past 30 years while teaching and working with writers through the Bronwen Wallace Award for Emerging Writers, I have supported and encouraged poetry, short fiction and memoir by writers of all ages. I believe in honesty and engagement in writing and in response to writing, and my own poetry reflects my deep interest in revealing untold and difficult stories. I still believe that poetry can do anything. As Anne Carson states in her collection red doc:
"what is the difference between
poetry and prose you know the old analogies prose
is a house poetry a man in flames running
quite fast through it"
- Prose poetry, Narrative Poetry and Confessional Poetry
- Emerging Canadian writing: short fiction and poetry
- Spoken word and Performance Poetry
- Prose poetry, Narrative Poetry and Confessional Poetry,
- Canadian writing: short fiction and poetry,
- Spoken word
- Performance Poetry
Read about Carolyn Smart’s legacy as a Creative Writing professor at Queen’s University.