Interested in starting your career at Queen's? Explore the resources below to learn more about how to apply, interviewing, and other frequently asked questions.
Applying in CareerQ
Queen's University uses CareerQ, a recruitment software, to help facilitate the recruitment process for General Staff and Research Grant & Contract competitions. To apply for jobs using CareerQ:
- Visit Apply to Jobs and select the External Applicants link under Staff and Research Positions. You will be redirected to the Job Opportunities page in CareerQ.
- When you find a job opportunity that's right for you, select I’m Interested at the bottom of the job posting and you will be prompted to set up a profile in CareerQ. You will need to provide an email address, password, and resume.
- Once you have saved your profile, and are logged in to CareerQ, you will be guided through the remainder of the application process.
- Returning Users: Remember to login to CareerQ to review and update your profile to ensure it is accurate every time you apply for a job.
Create a ProfileLearn how to create a profile in CareerQ.
Set Up Career AlertsLearn how to set up Career Alerts in CareerQ and be notified when roles fitting your criteria are posted.
Applying for a JobLearn how to submit an application to a competition.
Interviews are the starting point of your career at Queen's. It's helpful to think of an interview as a conversation where you discuss your skills, interests, and values as well as how they relate to your career goals.
- You can expect to hear from us within three weeks of submitting your application.
- The typical hiring process at Queen’s involves more than one interview.
- Behavioral interviews are commonly used and focus on how the interviewee acted or behaved in real job-related circumstances.
The University has policies in place to support employees and candidates who require accommodation, including an Accommodation in the Workplace Policy and a policy on the provision of job accommodations that take into account an employee's accommodation needs. If you require accommodation during the application and/or interview process, please contact Human Resources Administration, email@example.com, 613-533-2070.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can apply to positions following the instructions outlined in the Application Instructions for Queen's Employees. CareerQ will automatically identify you as a Redeployed Candidate.
Yes. All applications to Queen’s University General Staff and Research Grant & Contract competitions must be submitted through CareerQ.
Once you have signed into CareerQ, you will be able to pick from a list of skills that will be associated with your profile. You are able to update this list as you obtain new skills. As a best practice, we recommend that you also ensure they appear in your resume.
There are no formal training sessions for candidates. Current employees can visit the Human Resources office to use a computer with staff assistance. Employees are also invited to attend CareerQ drop-in sessions offered annually in June.
No. All applications to Queen’s University General Staff and Research Grant & Contract competitions must be submitted through CareerQ.
As CareerQ is internet-based, any internet-enabled device will work.
For Queen’s Employees, there are computers that can be used on campus within Human Resources .
For external candidates (Not Currently Employed at Queen’s), computers can often be found at libraries and community centres. For applicants located in the Kingston area, below are some additional community resources that help individuals prepare and submit job applications.
You are not able to complete your application if you do not answer the required pre-screen questions.
Skills and pre-screen questions are tools that Queen’s University uses as part of the selection process. The system does not automatically eliminate candidates based on these tools.