The Institutional Research and Planning (IRP) team is a collaborative group of professionals with diverse skills who bring enthusiasm, creative thinking and good humour to our work. We pride ourselves on our integrity, responsiveness and our commitment to service.
IRP provides data and high-quality, unbiased analysis and professional expertise in service to the Queen’s community to support strategic and data-informed decision-making across the institution.
Overview of Operations
IRP provides a broad range of service, both internal and external to Queen's, to ensure that decision-makers have high-quality information and data on which to base their decisions:
- Analyzes and communicates data and research results to contribute to budgeting, planning, decision-making, special projects and operational activities within Queen’s.
- Works closely with Faculties and Units across the university to provide analytical support using institutional data.
- Participates in numerous formal data exchanges (for benchmarking, quality improvement and sector advocacy).
- Interacts with and shares data among Queen’s sector partners (e.g. the Council of Ontario Universities and its committees, the Ministry of Colleges and Universities, and Universities Canada).
IRP administers two University-wide systems:
- Qualtrics, the Queen's survey platform. As the Brand Administrator, we provide non-technical support, training and account requests and approvals for Qualtrics.
- Tableau, the Queen's visualization platform. IRP provides non-technical support, license requests and approval, and leads server and site administration for the University.
IRP carefully curates a variety of data sets that are Institutional and that represent metrics at a certain point in time, rather than at a day-to-day operational level:
- PeopleSoft Student and HR snapshots
- Institutional surveys of undergraduate and graduate student engagement
- Student enrolment
- Class size
- Retention and graduation rates
- Degree time to completion