This survey course introduces various Printmaking techniques including monoprint, relief, etching, digital and hybrid methods. Students focus on applying the various methods to personal research interests to create original print based imagery that demonstrates formal, conceptual, historical and contemporary consideration.
Upon successful completion of this course you will be able to,
- Recall and describe the four major printmaking processes, their visual properties, historical and contemporary significance.
- Describe and employ various low and non-toxic relief printmaking methods, materials and equipment.
- Create original imagery through relief print-media that demonstrates technical, conceptual and critical consideration.
- Demonstrate the ability to produce a small print-based body of works, which meets professional and curatorial standards.
- Analyze and evaluate print works through the process of critique using terms and concepts appropriate to the medium.
- Adapt learned skills to ones’ own artistic practice and assess the potential for advanced studio studies.
25% - Key Image Matrix (assignment 1)
30% - Colour Reduction Reflief (assignment 2)
35% - Diptych Reflief (assignment 3)
10% - Critical Review
*Evaluation subject to change*
Alejandro Arauz, MFA (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Textbook and Materials
Material for the course can be ordered through the Art noise store in Kingston. Students who can pick up the kit at Art noise store in Kingston should indicate that in their online order.
Distance students who cannot buy the kit in Kingston, can buy it through a different art store as long as they purchase all the component listed here.
|ART STORE ITEMS|
|Jack Richeson LINO CUTTER SET||1|
|Jack Richeson EASY CUT LINO 6" X9" MNTD||4|
|Speedball Red Baren™ Baren Red|
Arnhem 1618 Printmaking Paper 22x30"
|(245gsm) Warm White AR002||4|
|Speedball 4" roller Soft Rubber Pop-In™ Brayer One||1|
|Akua Intaglio Ink - 8oz. Black (preferred), or similar inks like (1) Tri-Art block ink, (2) Caligo Safe Wash Relief Ink, (3) Speedball oil base block printing ink.||1|
|Akua Intaglio Ink - 8oz. Titanium white (preferred), or similar inks like (1) Tri-Art block ink, (2) Caligo Safe Wash Relief Ink, (3) Speedball oil base block printing ink.||1|
|Akua Intaglio Ink - 8oz. Blue or Red (preferred), or similar inks like (1) Tri-Art block ink, (2) Caligo Safe Wash Relief Ink, (3) Speedball oil base block printing ink.||1|
|Recommended (but not mandatory): Jack Richeson METAL LINO BLKSTOP (ink plate)||1|
|DOLLAR STORE ITEMS|
|Roll of masking tape||1|
|Roll of GripEze - Shelf/Drawer Liner||1|
|Rolls of paper towel||3|
NOTE BFAH students may not enrol in this course. NOTE Materials: estimated cost $100-$200.