Director and Associate Professor
School of Environmental Studies (joint appointment to Geography and Planning)
Office: Rm 3244 Biosciences Complex
Phone: 613.533.6000 ext 77105
School of Environmental Studies
Kingston, Ontario, Canada,
Website: NEW URL COMING!
- PDF, University of Alberta (Biological Sciences)
- PhD, University of Alberta (Environmental Biology and Ecology)
- MES, Wilfrid Laurier University (Geography and Environmental Studies)
- BES, University of Waterloo (Environment and Resource Studies)
General Academic Interests
- Biogeography and vegetation science
- Landscape ecology
- Conservation biology
- Parks and protected areas
- Circumpolar northern environments
- ENSC 320 – Wildlife Issues in a Changing World
- ENSC 430 – Honours Project in Environmental Sustainability
- GPHY 102 – Earth System Science
- GPHY 318 – Advanced Biogeography
- GPHY 418 – Landscape Ecology
- GPHY 818 – Graduate Seminar in Landscape Ecology
My current research falls into two broad areas. You can see publications in both areas at my Google Scholar page (URL COMING SOON!) and my ResearchGate page (URL COMING SOON!).
1. Ecosystem Change: The study of terrestrial ecosystem change and species distributions at multiple scales, particularly the responses of forest, shrubland and tundra ecosystems.
2. Biodiversity Conservation: Conservation science, planning and management at multiple spatial scales, particularly as it relates to regional ecosystem-based management of parks and protected areas.
Recent Student-led Publications
- Dearborn K & Danby RK. 2020. Spatial pattern of subarctic alpine treeline varies with slope aspect and shrub cover. Annals of the American Association of Geographers 110: 18-35.
- Bonney MB, Danby RK, & Treitz P. 2018. Landscape variability of vegetation change across the forest-tundra transition of central Canada. Remote Sensing of Environment 217: 18-29.
- Brehaut L & Danby RK. 2018. Inconsistent relationships between annual tree ring-widths and satellite-measured NDVI in a mountainous subarctic environment, Canada. Ecological Indicators 91: 698-711.
- Kambo D & Danby RK. 2018. Factors influencing the establishment and growth of tree seedlings at subarctic alpine treelines. Ecosphere, 9(4): e02176.
- Garrah L, Danby RK, Eberhardt E, Cunnington G, Mitchell S. 2015. Hot spots and hot times: wildlife road mortality in a regional conservation corridor. Environmental Management, 56: 874-889.
- Conway AJ & Danby RK. 2014. Recent advance of forest ecotones in southwest Yukon grasslands. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 44: 509-520.
- Danby RK. 2011. Monitoring forest-tundra ecotones at multiple scales. Geography Compass 5: 623-640.
- Danby RK & Hik DS. 2007. Variability, contingency and rapid change in recent subarctic alpine treeline dynamics. Journal of Ecology 95: 352-363.
- Danby RK & Slocombe DS. 2005. Regional ecology, ecosystem geography, and transboundary protected areas in the St. Elias Mountains. Ecological Applications 15: 405-422.
- Danby RK, Hik DS, Slocombe DS & Williams A. 2003. Science and the St. Elias: an evolving framework for sustainability in North America's highest mountains. The Geographical Journal 169: 191-204.
Current Graduate Students in Environmental Studies
- Sara Baker - Effectiveness of a fence-culvert system for reducing wildlife-vehicle collisions on Highway 401
- Michelle Cohen - Historical ecology of granite barrens on the Frontenac Arch, Ontario: implications for conservation and restoration
- Sarah Finnimore (co-supervised with Dr. Graham Whitelaw) - Social-ecological analysis of the Wiltse Creek drainage issue, eastern Ontario
Past Graduate Students in Environmental Studies
Derek Bedford (2020) - Spatiotemporal Patterns of White-Tailed Deer Habitat Use on Hill Island in Thousand Islands National Park of Canada. Thesis link: https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/27916
Michael Stefanuk (2019) - Productivity And Phenology of Forests in the Algonquin-to-Adirondacks Corridor: Climatic Drivers and Recent Trends. Thesis link: https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/26677
Joshua Jones (2018) - The Locations and Drivers of Herpetofaunal Wildlife Road Mortality on Two Highways within the Frontenac Arch, Ontario. Thesis link: https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/25910
Julia McCann (2018) - Helping turtles cross the road: Improving culvert design and monitoring. Thesis link: https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/15874
Achla Joshi (2016) - Distribution, associations, and limiting growth factors of tree species in a vegetation transition zone of eastern Ontario, Canada. Thesis link: https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/13993
Md Saifuzzaman (2015) - Land use and land cover dynamics in the Ganges Delta region, Bangladesh. - Thesis link: https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/13903
Michelle Mazzocatto (2015) - Spruce bark beetle disturbance in the forest-tundra ecotones of southwest Yukon: impacts and predisposing factors. Thesis link: https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/13094
Claire Kryczka (2014) - Extending Concepts and Practice of State of the Environment Reporting to Biosphere Reserves. Thesis link: https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/12534
Evelyn Garrah (2012) - Wildlife Road Mortality on the 1000 Islands Parkway in South Eastern Ontario: Peak Times, Hot Spots, and Mitigation Using Drainage Culverts. Thesis link: https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/7232