Summer 2023 NSERC USRA (Undergraduate Student Research Awards)
The School of Environmental Studies has one (1) NSERC USRA (Undergraduate Student Research Award) available this summer to allow a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year student to work on a supervised research project.
Students must apply with an eligible School of Environmental Studies core faculty member who has agreed to supervise their research work during the summer. Information on the research activities of core faculty members in the School of Environmental Studies is available at: https://www.queensu.ca/ensc/people/faculty-and-staff
To be eligible to apply for an award, a student must be:
- a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or a Protected Person under subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada)
- registered, as of the deadline date for applications at the institution, in a bachelor’s degree program at an eligible institution
- must have obtained, over the previous years of study, a satisfactory cumulative average (minimum 2.7)
- cannot be currently registered or have been previously registered, at any time, in a graduate program in the same field of study
- cannot have completed all degree requirements
Typically, USRA award recipients are expected to work full time (35 hours per week) for 16 consecutive weeks (May 1 to August 31). Students are paid a minimum of $17.50 per hour. NSERC will provide a $6,000 award per student, and the supervisor is responsible for covering the remaining stipend. Supervisors may choose to pay their NSERC USRA students more than the minimum requirement.
Students typically work full time for 16 consecutive weeks from May 1 to August 31. The USRA program makes no provision for sick leave or other interruptions of awards. Awards may not be deferred.
How to Apply and Deadline:
Students complete Part I of Form 202 and “Verify” to generate a Reference number. This Reference number must be provided to the supervisor in order to complete Part II of the form.
There is a helpful video posted here that demonstrates how to use the online application.
IMPORTANT: A copy of Form 202 Part I (student) and Part II (supervisor) must also be submitted to the Office of the School of Environmental Studies (they can be emailed to email@example.com) by 4:30 pm on Friday, March 10, 2023. The student(s) who is selected to receive the award will be notified the following week and asked to confirm their acceptance of the award.
Please view the NSERC website for more information regarding eligibility, the application form and instructions: https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/UG-PC/USRA-BRPC_eng.asp