New: BA Liberal Studies (3 year)
Explore how the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences have shaped much of our daily lives through online courses in four modes of critical thought: scientific inquiry and reasoning, insights into contemporary society and culture, critical perspectives on history, and academic writing. This general BA degree program will help you develop adaptable skills for any career path or life activity, or further education.
Click the yellow "+" beside each topic below to expand and see more information.
The Bachelor of Liberal Studies program plan consists of 90.0 units. 60.0 of these units are electives which can be taken from any subject, at any level and in any order, as long you have (or obtain) the prerequisites for any 200 or 300-level courses. The other 30.0 units must be taken as described below. Note: Courses may not be offered every term.
Core courses (9.0 units) offered online
- LIBS 100 (3.0 units): Origins and Practices of Liberal Arts
- LIBS 300 (6.0 units): The Liberal Arts in the Contemporary World (Available online beginning Fall 2018)
Option courses (18.0 units) offered online
Select option courses from each of four modes of critical thought:
- 6.0 units from Scientific Inquiry and Reasoning (e.g. Math, Biology, Computing, Psychology, etc.)
- 6.0 units from Insights into Contemporary Society and Culture (e.g. Film, Sociology, Philosophy, etc.)
- 6.0 units from Critical Perspectives on History (e.g. History, Religious Studies, Classics, etc.)
- 3.0 units from Academic Writing (Writing courses)
Electives (60.0 units)
60.0 additional units selected from all course offerings.
How do I apply?
Queen's Arts and Science Online has several admission categories for students with diverse educational backgrounds. View them all here.
Submit an Application
This degree is brand new and students are not yet able to apply.Students will be able to apply for a Summer Term 2017 start. Please check back for updates.
How Online Learning Works
What can I do with my degree?
Can I apply to Grad School?
Admission requirements for graduate programs vary by institution and program. If your education goals include attending grad school, we recommend that you to speak to the receiving institution and compare our programs to their admission requirements. It is currently not possible to complete an Honours degree online at Queen's.
Possible Career Fields
Your BA in Liberal Studies can lead you to a wide variety of career fields. Please check back soon for updated information.