Ten future leaders in science, technology, engineering, and math will be attending Queen’s this fall, thanks to Canada’s most prestigious STEM scholarships.
Schulich Leader Scholarships, worth up to $100,000, was launched in 2012 by Canadian businessman and philanthropist Seymour Schulich as a way to help the next generation of entrepreneurial-minded technology innovators.
“With 100 outstanding students selected in Canada this year, it is all but guaranteed that this group will represent the best and brightest Canada has to offer,” says Mr. Schulich. “These future leaders will make great contributions to society, both on a national and global scale. With their university expenses covered, they can focus their time on their studies, research projects, extracurriculars, and entrepreneurial ventures.”
Last year, four Schulich Leaders came to Queen’s, but the increase to 100 scholarships across Canada this year helped boost the eligible number at Queen’s to 10. Queen’s has awarded 36 Schulich Leader Scholarships since the program started in 2012.
The 10 Schulich Leaders attending Queen’s this fall are:
- Catie Austin, Brantford, Ont., School of Computing
- Rabab Azeem, Barrie, Ont., Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science
- Emma Davison, Goderich, Ont., Faculty of Arts and Science
- Abdellah Ghassel, Kingston, Ont., Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science
- Sharaf Khan, Scarborough, Ont., School of Computing
- Liyi Ma, Guelph, Ont., Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science
- Shashank Ojha, East York, Ont., Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science
- Emanuel Piccininni, Nobleton, Ont., Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science
- Nazanin Soghrati, Richard Hill, Ont., Faculty of Arts and Science
- Dajung Yoon, Drayton, Ont., School of Computing
“Queen’s and the Schulich Foundation share the goal of developing innovators and leaders who aspire to change not only Canada, but the world,” says Ann Tierney, Vice-Provost and Dean of Student Affairs. “Thank you to the Schulich Foundation for providing students from across the country with this opportunity. We are honoured these 10 talented students have chosen to continue their studies at Queen’s.”