Whether you have been a volunteer with Queen's for decades, or your volunteer experience is just beginning, this event series is for you. Alumni Volunteer Series (AVS) is an ideal way to build your network with other experienced volunteer leaders. In 2022, AVS will feature a series of events and opportunities open to alumni and volunteers throughout the year.
Throughout 2021, the Queen's University Alumni Association Board of Directors will be hosting virtual panels and round-tables through the re-imagined Alumni Volunteer Series. These mini events will feature prominent Queen’s alumni as they share their personal experiences and professional insights into Equity, Diversity, Indigeneity, and Inclusion at Queen’s, and beyond. Stay tuned for event details.
Curtis Carmichael with Butterflies in the Trenches
Curtis Carmichael, Artsci/PHE'16, joined Queen's University Alumni Association (QUAA) Board of Directors in partnership with the Toronto Alumni Branch and Athletics, for a virtual book talk celebrating the release of Curtis' memoir Butterflies in the Trenches. Curtis' book is an augmented reality memoir inspired by his life and mission to break the cycle of poverty for today's youth, just as Curtis did for himself.
In honour of the 2021 AVS and event speakers, QUAA President, Rica Garcia, made a donation on behalf of the QUAA Board to the Queen's Promise Scholars Fund, an initiative developed to improve equitable access to education for first-generation students like Curtis.
QUAA Non-Traditional Queen's Experiences
QUAA hosted an alumni panel discussion on non-traditional Queen's experiences, life after Queen's, and the challenges of not fitting the status quo on March 6, 2021.
Joining the panel discussion were alumni Yinka Adegbusi, Artsci'13, Zhaodi Culbreath, Sc'08, and Chu Q. Wang, Com'15, and hosted by Tuba Chishti, Artsci'15.
In honour of the speakers, the QUAA Board donated to two Queen's funds supporting the ongoing advancement of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Indigeneity (EDII) which include cultural programming at Four Directions Indigenous Student Centre, and Faculty of Health Sciences Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Fund.
Accessibility Talk: A Queen's Panel
On Oct. 27, 2021, the QUAA and Queen's Student Alumni Association (QSAA) President, Megan Divecha, Artsci'22, sat down with special guest, Amar Latif, and fellow panelists to share their perspectives and expertise on disability awareness and accessibility, within the Queen's community, and beyond. The group shared advice on how we can all create spaces, events, and initiatives that are inclusive and accessible for all. The panel discussion was followed by an interactive Question and Answer (Q and A) period.
This panel was generously sponsored by Allison Williams, Artsci'09, QUAA Director of Alumni Giving, in support of delivering a virtual experience that was inclusive and accessible for many. This included ASL Interpretation and live-captioning.
Alumni Volunteer Summit 2020 was scheduled to take place on Saturday, April 4, with some specialized sessions scheduled on Friday, April 3. Due the impact of COVID-19, AVS was cancelled in 2020. Sessions would have included:
- Keynote address from Shari Hughson, NSc'86, and the current director of the Master of Management Innovation & Entrepreneurship program at the Smith School of Business.
- Principal's Remarks and Q&A with Queen's new Principal and Vice-Chancellor, Patrick Deane.
- An interactive "Design Thinking" workshop led by facilitators from the Dunin-Deshpande Queen's Innovation Centre.
2019 Great QUAA Initiatives Presentations
- Toronto Branch "Gaels & Ales: Queen's Night Out" Event
- Calgary Branch Johnson Award Event
- Indigenous Student Alumni Recruitment Call Campaign
2018 Great QUAA Initiatives Presentations
- London, UK Branch "Stef Reid at Canada House" Event
- NYC Branch "Welcome to New York" Event Series
- Toronto Branch "The Trump Effect" Event
2017 Great QUAA Initiatives Presentations
- Calgary Branch “Career Management Panel”
- Kingston Branch “175th Food Drive”
- Toronto Branch “It’s a Match!” Young Alumni Networking Event
- Winnipeg Branch “Behind the Scenes at the Royal Winnipeg Ballet”