In general, much of our daily operations run on applications that are accessible from the internet by visiting MyQueen'sU. However, if you require an application or program that is not accessible from the internet, you may require local admin access on your device in order to install the required tools. If you do not see the applications that you require to complete your work on any of these lists, please check with your departmental IT Admin Representative.
Fortinet's FortiClient is the solution that allows you to remotely access your Windows File Shares (I: drive or H: drive). Download the FortiClient from the Software Centre. Configure your connection using this tutorial.
Applications that can be accessed with the Campus VPN:
- GE Picture Perfect
- Windows File Share
The Queen's SSL VPN allows you to access PeopleSoft administrative applications from a remote location (but is not required to access SOLUS). Visit vpn.queensu.ca to use the SSL VPN.
Applications that can only be accessed with Queen's SSL VPN:
- PeopleSoft Student Administration
The Global Accelerator Network Service is available to assist students living abroad to connect to teaching and learning resources at Queen’s. Currently, this service should increase the performance and reliability of network connections specifically from within China. To learn more, check out the Global Accelerator Network Service page.
Accessing Your Email
Microsoft Office 365 is the default email solution at Queen’s. Email and calendaring are available remotely.
- Once your NetID is activated, your email address is automatically listed on the University’s Global Address List. If you have not yet activated your NetID, please follow the Activate Your NetID instructions to do so.
- Please visit the Microsoft website for system requirements, assistance, and information on the service’s accessibility features. Users can consult the Queen’s Accessibility Hub for further information on Outlook’s accessibility features.
- To download and install Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise, including Outlook (i.e. the email client), log into the Office 365 Software Portal or select the "Office 365 Software Portal" tile from the Office 365 app launcher. You can access the email service (Outlook) online by logging into Office 365.
- Note: If you use an email system other than Microsoft Office 365, please contact your departmental IT representative.
Hosting and Attending Online Teams Meetings
Use Microsoft Teams to schedule online meetings, display presentations, and collaborate. When creating a new meeting in Outlook, selecting “New Teams Meeting” will add a Teams link to the meeting invite, allowing participants to connect remotely to the meeting. If you are attending a Teams meeting, simply click the link in the meeting invitation.
Storing and Sharing Documents
Various tools are available at Queen’s (at no cost) for storing and sharing documents:
- OneDrive for Business - securely store, share, and sync your files in the cloud with 5 TB of online storage.
- Microsoft Teams – securely store, share, sync, and collaborate on files in the cloud with up to 25 TB of online storage.
- onQ (for Teaching and Learning) – upload course material directly to onQ for students to access.
- Windows File Service – commonly referred to as an “I” or “H” drive, this service provides a secure file storage area in a central data centre where users can save their data. (Note: this requires Campus VPN).