What is the Telephony Replacement Program?
The Telephony Replacement Program seeks to replace Queen's dated PBX system with a more modern telephony solution. The program's goal is to expand existing Microsoft Teams use across the University and utilize the well-established Teams platform to provide modern telephony services in the future. Teams Telephony is a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) solution.
For details about the program, including FAQs, training material, and information on help and support, visit the Telephony Replacement Program website by clicking the button below.Telephony Replacement Program SharePoint
Why is Teams Telephony Right for Queen’s?
Teams Telephony will provide a modern, integrated telephony solution to the Queen's community. Because it is a VoIP solution, Teams Telephony offers many features that are not available on traditional desk phones - particularly, the ability to answer calls no matter where you are (no need to be sitting at your desk!) The solution modernizes telephony at Queen's and ensures that our infrastructure can provide telephony services well into the future.
What is VoIP?
Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) is a technology that allows you to make phone calls using an Internet connection instead of a traditional phone line. If you have an internet connection, you call anyone without the need for local phone service.
The Benefits of Teams Telephony at Queen's
Microsoft Teams Telephony will satisfy the needs of telephony users at Queen's, including the ability to:
- Make and receive phone calls using your existing Queen’s telephone number or extension anywhere.
- Transfer calls between individuals across Queen’s
- Place calls on hold.
- Use any device to make and receive calls (e.g., laptops, desktops, cell phones, etc).
- Enable your team to automate how calls are handled to support individuals who share roles
- Stay connected anywhere - when you place calls when working from home, you will appear exactly as you would while at your desk
- With data security becoming increasingly important, Microsoft Teams Telephony provides secure text- and voice-based conversations, ensuring intellectual property is protected.
- The option to host meetings with both web-conference participants AND Teams Telephony "voice only" participants
- Use one app for calling, messaging, and conducting or attending meetings.
- Start a call from a chat, contact card, or Outlook.
- Phone calls can be captioned or auto-transcribed, just like on a web conference call
- Greater visibility of contacts, call history, voicemail, etc.
- Free up desk space - bulky handsets are not required
- Easily add phone numbers, address issues, and manage the platform from an integrated administration portal
- Use your favourite headset or softphone to make and receive calls