This policy provides coverage to insured persons while they are travelling outside of their province or country of residence. It provides benefits for covered losses resulting from unforeseen/emergency injury or sickness occurring during the first 180 consecutive days of a trip (subject to all the exclusions, limitations and provisions stated in the policy). Coverage is accessed by calling the emergency phone numbers provided below.
Who is covered by this policy?
Active students who are under the age of 70, enrolled in a university approved work placement, experiential learning opportunity or volunteer setting and are not covered for Workers' Compensation or WSIB.
Who should I contact in the event of a medical emergency?
Canada and US 1-877-204-2017
Elsewhere 0-715-295-9967 (collect)
Please state that you are covered under the AIG Insurance Company of Canada Policy# CMG 9427615. The insurer must be notified within 48 hours from the time of the incident. If the insurer is not informed, claims could be denied or only partially covered as a result.
What kind of expenses are covered?
- Prescription drugs
- Lab tests and X-rays
- Outpatient services provided by a hospital
- Dental work for accidentally injured teeth
- Reasonable and customary costs associated with an unforeseen trip cancellation due to sickness or injury
Are there any restrictions or exclusions?
- Individuals aged 70 or older
- Pre-existing medical conditions
- Coverage once returned to province (domestic student) or country (International student) of residence
- Injury or Loss sustained while the Insured Person is under the influence of alcohol and operating any vehicle or means of transportation or conveyance while his or her blood alcohol is over eighty (80) milligrams in one hundred (100) milliliters of blood
- Injury or Loss sustained while the Insured Person is under the influence of a drug or substance which is controlled as specified under the Controlled Drug and Substances Act (Canada) (even if such drug or substance is taken outside Canada) unless taken pursuant to the advice of and in strict accordance with the instructions of a Physician
- Sickness or Injury due to participation in any professional sport
- Expenses incurred on an elective (non-emergency) basis
- A sickness or Injury that, at the time of departure, might reasonably be expected to require an Insured Person to undergo treatment, investigation, surgery or hospitalization
- Any treatment, investigation or surgery for a specific condition, or a related condition, which had caused the Insured Person’s physician to advise such person not to travel
- Any service, treatment, surgery or stay in Hospital not required for the immediate relief of acute pain or suffering or which is not Medically Necessary