The School of Policy Studies at Queen's is committed to positively shaping public policy through education leaders of the future. Interdisciplinary and experiential learning opportunities provide our students with the perspective, connections and inspiration to discover solutions to complex social issues. We immerse our students in current public policy discourse through a network of faculty, alumni, researchers and community partners, providing active opportunities to impact public good
At the School of Policy Studies we are constantly adapting to the changing world of public policy. At a time when making and executing public policy engages all sectors of society in new and faster ways, we aspire to create learning experiences and results for our students.
Our curriculum for the Master of Public Administration program (MPA) integrates innovative learning with the depth, strength and proven performance of our faculty while delivering one of Canada's premier programs in public administration.
Who we are
School of Policy Studies graduates have made a significant contribution to the public life, working in all sectors - public, private and voluntary - and around the world.
We offer a Professional Master of Public Administration (P.M.P.A.) to students from diverse academic backgrounds who are interested in solving complex policy challenges facing governments, institutions and organizations, in Canada and globally. Our program incorporates practical application of skills as a major component of the learning experience.
- Our program places policy in a broader social, economic, legal, political and institutional context.
- Our students' diversity is a valuable asset that strengthens their learning experience.
- Our faculty members are leaders in their respective fields, with strong connections to the public sector, the private sector and the community
What we do
Through high quality interactive teaching and integrated learning, we enhance leadership in public policy by providing students the inspiration, skills, competencies and connections to become better contributors to the public good.
We do this by:
- Taking an integrated approach to the graduate learning experience in public policy and administration.
- Developing skills such as critical thinking, problem solving and integration across multiple disciplines and perspectives; communicating for purposes of public engagement and policy decision-making; developing effective partnerships and teams; leadership; and linking policy and execution.
- Bridging theory and practice, moving from the academic to the applied. Preparing students for the rigours of a career in public policy.
- Working in teams and across disciplines.
- Embracing a strong set of public sector values and ethics focused on integrity and service.
- Fostering global connections through international exchange partnerships in Sweden, in Ghana and in China.
- Enabling students to pursue coop opportunities in order to gain work experience.
- Offering a comprehensive career support program.