Process and Resolution Under the Code

I received a Notice or Request to Meet

When a Non-Academic Misconduct (NAM) case is referred to a Case Manager, the assigned Case Manager will invite those involved to meet. These meetings are an opportunity to learn more about the process and to present information and documentation relevant to the incident. You have the right to bring an advisor and/or a support person to these meetings. 

Learn more about Support Persons/Advisors

If you receive a meeting request, you may accept responsibility for the NAM incident in writing prior to the meeting or verbally during that first meeting. If responsibility is accepted, the Case Manager will work with you to determine how the matter should be resolved.

You should read the notice carefully.  Sometimes the university will put in place interim measures needed for a safe campus environment.  Interim measures are not disciplinary and they do not represent a finding of misconduct.  They are temporary measures needed to support the successful resolution of a case.  Your first letter from the Student Conduct Office will contain information on any interim measures that are being imposed.

How can a case be resolved?

A NAM case will generally be resolved in one of the following ways: dismissal of the allegation(s), informal resolution, or formal resolution. 

If you accept responsibility for your actions, you may enter into an informal resolution agreement with the Student Conduct Office. Informal resolution agreements typically include requirements you will need to complete – things like educational assignments, attending a workshop, community service, or some form of restitution. Your case will be closed upon completion of the agreed upon resolution outcomes.

If a Case Manager has gathered enough information to support a finding of responsibility for violating the Code, and you have not accepted responsibility, the Case Manager will make a formal decision regarding responsibility and assign sanctions as appropriate.  

What can the Outcomes or Sanctions be?

The final terms and conditions of the resolution to a case of NAM are outcomes or sanctions. 

  • Outcomes: We call them outcomes when they are part of an informal resolution. 
  • Sanctions: We call them sanctions when they are part of a formal resolution.

With any finding of responsibility, you may be assigned one or more outcomes or sanctions. These will be proportionate to the misconduct. The primary goals of outcomes and sanctions are education and the repair of harms using restorative justice approaches. When necessary, corrective sanctions may be used to deter immediate and future behaviour. Repeated breaches of the Student Code of Conduct may lead to progressive outcomes and sanctions.

Learn more about possible sanctions in the Student Code of Conduct.

Student Code of Conduct (PDF | 1.5MB)

I received a decision and want to appeal

When appealing a decision made by the Student Conduct Office, the appeal must be submitted to the Non-Academic Intake Office (NAMIO), to be heard by the NAM Appeal Panel. 

For more information on the appeal process, visit the Non-Academic Misconduct Appeals website.