What is procedural fairness?
Procedural fairness guides the decision-making process. Procedural fairness ensures that decisions made are fair. It’s important to note that fairness does not mean always getting the outcome that you want or that you think is appropriate. Procedural fairness is about making sure that there are consistent processes, a chance for Respondents to be heard, and an expectation to be treated with respect.
*Information has been adapted from the ACCUO Fairness Guide 2015
Procedural fairness and non-academic misconduct
Some of the ways Queen’s ensures fairness in the conduct processes
- Making sure all participants have information about the policies, processes and procedures available.
- Information is located on our website and included in the Notice of Investigation.
- Providing a minimum of 48 hours notice prior to any meeting with a case manager/investigator. Every effort is made to minimize the impact on academics by scheduling meetings outside of class time.
- Providing on-going disclosure of information gathered to support the complaint, including original incident report/complaint, photos, videos, and documents.
- Ensuring that information gathered as part of a process is maintained confidential and only shared with those who have a legitimate requirement to receive it. NAM records are stored on the Advocate Case Management System and only authorized staff have access.
- Providing opportunities for a Respondent to bring forward their own evidence to respond to the complaint.
- Respondents can respond in person or in writing.
- Permitting participants to attend meetings and hearings with a support person, advisor, and/or legal counsel.
- Providing decisions and reasons in writing. They are also available in accessible formats.
- Ensuring all staff involved in the conduct process have received relevant specialized training.
Office of the University Ombudsperson
One of the central duties of the Office of the University Ombudsperson is to ensure procedural fairness in decision-making at Queen’s University.
If you would like a printable handout or alternative format of this information, please email email@example.com.