Research Services USRA FAQs


Supervisors are no longer required to hold an active grant when applying to supervise a USRA student. Any faculty member authorized by the University to independently supervise students may be eligible.

Yes, because grants are considered active during the 1-yr extension period. 

Yes, providing the supervisor can support them.

Yes, a student can be co-supervised. However, one supervisor has to be the ‘primary supervisor’ and that supervisor completes Form 202 Part II.  Only the primary supervisor is listed on the List of Submissions.  The Department Coordinator communicates the split financial arrangement from the second supervisor on the form they have to forward to Jane Rogers, Research Accounting.

The supervisor must explain why multiple students are required for the same project on Form 202 Part II section “Outline of Proposed Research”.  

This is up to each department.  All Form 202s must be submitted by the time Department Coordinators forward List of Applications to Research Services.  After Research Services check for completion they will ‘Forward’ Form 202s to NSERC.



Typically, USRA award recipients are expected to work full time (35 hours per week) for 16 consecutive weeks (May 1 to August 31). Furthermore, provincial minimum wage requirements must be adhered to.  The current minimum wage is $15.50 per hour which became effective October 1, 2022.  As part of the 2023 pilot Undergraduate Research Grant Program, the Vice-Principal Research (VPR) will provide an additional top-up to each award to increase the salary rate to $17.50 per hour.

As long as all criteria have been met, NSERC will provide a $6,000 award per student, however the department is responsible for covering the remaining $3,072.00 ($10,192.00 less the NSERC award of $6,000.00 and the VPR top-up of $1120.00), plus all required fringe benefits. 

Students must not be expected to contribute to the costs of research, (equipment and supplies or travel) from their award.  

Students need to upload a transcript (minus the legend) before the Department Coordinator submits the List of Submissions to Research Services, an unofficial transcript is accepted.  The students can consider themselves ‘successful’ when Department Coordinator’s submit the list to Research Services. 

Yes, a Queen’s researcher can supervise a non-Queen’s undergraduate student.  The non-Queen’s student must upload both their transcript and transcript legend to Form 202. 

Yes, a student is eligible but the award has to be held at a Canada institution.

Yes, a student can hold a USRA in either of the two terms immediately following the completion of all the requirements of their Bachelor’s degree.

Yes, however the supervisor must approve the working arrangement and the student has to make up the time if the job impacts the USRA hours. 


The Department Co-ordinator will not know if a student self-identified unless the student tells them. The student indicates this in Form 202 but it does not show up when the form is printed. Only the Research Services Liaison Officer can see if any student self-identified.


No, all Research Services require is an email confirming the revision.

NSERC request that legends not be uploaded with the transcript because they only need one legend per institution.  Research Services forwards Queen’s transcript legend when they forward the final list of students to NSERC.  If after Research Services proof reads a Form 202 and the student has to edit it, ask them to upload the transcript again without the legend. Otherwise, we will leave it attached to Form 202.

*Unofficial transcripts accepted.

Once the numbers of students paid by departments (and amounts) are confirmed, Research Accounting  will reimburse departments for the NSERC and Vice-Principal Research portions of the award (same process as has was happening for NSERC portions in previous years). Research Accounting will send a communication out to departments with instructions for paying USRA recipients in April and will explain these details in that communication.

For more FAQs see NSERC’s website