The Ontario Research Fund – Research Excellence (ORF-RE) program provides funding to support up to one third of the total operational costs of major leading-edge, transformative, and internationally significant research projects of strategic value to Ontario. The remaining two thirds must come from a combination of private sector and Queen’s University cash and in-kind contributions.
ORF-RE Round 10 (2019) had two application funding tiers (inclusive of both direct and indirect costs):
- Tier 1. Open to all disciplines
Funded projects from $200,000 to $1,000,000
- Tier 2. Open to all disciplines
Funded projects from $1,000,001 to $4,000,000
ORF-RE competitions are held approximately every two years, with the Call for Round 11 anticipated in 2021.
The ORF-RE focuses on research excellence and strong benefits to Ontario. Funded projects must:
- be conducted in eligible research institution(s) in Ontario and spent in Ontario
- be conducted by a research team with a strong track record of excellence and competitiveness
- have significant relevance to Ontario
- have a clear and tangible knowledge translation strategy in place
- invest in the human capital of Ontario through the development of highly qualified personnel
- have both a business plan and a governance structure in place for their management
The ORF-RE grant can be used for the following:
- Direct costs
Salaries and benefits
Facilities and equipment (up to 10%)
Management and administration (up to 10%)
Other direct research costs (e.g., materials, fieldwork expenses, dissemination of research)
- Indirect costs
Overhead costs associated with conducting the research project (40% of direct costs)
The call for applications and Queen's internal deadlines will be communicated through Queen’s Funding Opportunities webpage.
All interested applicants will be required to meet with a Research Projects Advisor to discuss internal ORF-RE guidelines, the proposed research, the team, and partner contributions.
Draft applications, budgets, and letters of support must be submitted by established internal deadlines for review. The final application must be provided by the established deadline for institutional signature ahead of submission by Research Services.
- Jennifer Chen, Research Projects Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Isabelle Goulet, Research Projects Advisor, email@example.com
- Mayron Moorhead, Research Projects Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kyle Hodder, Research Projects Advisor, email@example.com
- Hollie O’Dette Hoiles, Research Facilitator, firstname.lastname@example.org