The science, policy and technology of the vaccine roll-out
- Speaker: Kumanan Wilson, Physician/scientist, The Ottawa Hospital, Professor of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Research Associate IIGR, Queen's University, CEO CANImmunize Inc.
- Co-Host and Moderator: Jane Philpott, Dean, Faculty of Health Sciences and Director, School of Medicine, Queen’s University
The COVID-19 vaccination program is one of the largest and most important health care interventions in our lifetimes. This presentation will discuss the science of COVID-19 vaccines and the how the vaccine programs will need to be administered and evaluated to be successful. The presentation will provide an overview of the following:
- Science - mechanism of action of mRNA vaccines, potential for viral transmission after vaccination, herd immunity threshold.
- Policy - federalism challenges in managing immunization programs, mandatory vaccination and immunity passports
- Technology - immunization registries, digital immunization applications, monitoring coverage, safety and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines.