The Government of Japan offers research scholarships to Canadian students who wish to study at Japanese universities.
- Program: MEXT Scholarship.
- Funding Organisation: Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of the Government of Japan.
- Number of Scholarships: Unspecified.
- Program Duration: See MEXT website.
- Benefits: Full tuition, monthly allowance, round-trip flight between Japan and Canada.
- Application and Eligibility: Only Canadian citizens can apply for the program through one of the Japanese diplomatic missions across Canada. Other eligibility requirements:
- Age: Applicants must be under 35 years of age
- Academic Background: Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Study area: the same field that the applicant has studied, or a related field
Recruitment for those arriving in Japan in next April or October is normally made between April and May. The initial screening (documentary examination, written test and interview) is made at the embassy between June and July. The embassy then recommends the selected candidates to MEXT through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs by late August. Notification of results of selection and university placement are made between December to February.
- Application Deadlines: See MEXT website for up-to-date information.