Credit Transfer

You must transfer credits earned on study abroad programs in order for them to appear on your Queen's transcript.

  • You may take courses on ILOP toward your Plan requirement, provided your department approves the courses listed on your application. The International Programs Office will send the course syllabi to the department to review.
  • Some courses are not acceptable for transfer credit. These include
    • Intermediate Microeconomics
    • Intermediate Macroeconomics
    • Education
    • Law
    • Practical courses (e.g., Jewellery Appreciation offered at Peking University)
    • Internship courses, and
    • Courses that are graded on a Pass/Fail basis.
    • To see a list of previously requested courses that were not approved for ILOP, click here.
  • Arts and Science students may take Business/Commerce courses. Please keep in mind that only a maximum of 6.0 units of courses offered by other Faculties and Schools may count towards the Program and/or Plan requirements of any degree in the Faculty of Arts and Science. Some exceptions exist. Students are encouraged to consult with their department and/or an academic adviser in the Faculty of Arts and Science.
  • To transfer credit to Queen’s for courses taken at the host university, you must obtain a final grade equivalent to at least “C” (63%) on the Queen’s University Grading Scale, unless otherwise stated on the ILOP.
  • Transfer credit(s) and not the grade(s) achieved are recorded on the Queen’s transcript with a notation of “TR”. Grades obtained are not included in the Queen’s Grade Point Average (GPA).

When you have completed your study abroad program, you should arrange with the host university to send a secure digital transcript to the International Programs Office ( Alternatively you can have your transcript sent directly (with official seal) to:

International Programs Office
B206 Mackintosh-Corry Hall
Queen's University
Kingston, ON
K7L 3N6

Please note that unless otherwise specified, host universities will not send out transcripts automatically. It is your responsibility to ensure that our office receives a copy. You may also wish to order transcripts yourself for use when applying to graduate school etc.

Upon receipt of your transcript, the IPO will process your transfer credits for courses approved on your ILOP which were successfully completed. Your transfer credits will be entered on SOLUS and added to your Queen’s academic record.

Notes about Graduation

  • Students granted an ILOP to complete the final course(s) of their program at another university during the Fall-Winter Session must provide an official transcript by May 15. If you do not, your graduation may be postponed until the next Fall Convocation.
  • For students completing the final course(s) of their program in the Spring-Summer Session, an official transcript must be submitted by October 15. If you do not, your graduation may be postponed until the next Spring Convocation.