- Who: Undergraduate Arts and Science and Smith Engineering students in an Honours program
- Where: University of St Andrews, Scotland
- When: Fall and Winter
- How long: Full-year (September-May)
- For academic credit? Yes
- GPA requirement: 3.2 cum GPA
- Application fee: No
- Program fee: $200 (payable at time of acceptance, not application)
- Costs borne by student: Travel documentation, flights, insurance, accommodation
- Tuition: Payable to Queen's University
- Financial assistance: Yes - St Andrews scholarships valued at $6000 CDN
- OSAP eligible: Yes
The Queen's University exchange to the University of St Andrews is one of the oldest at Queen's University. Successful candidates receive a generous scholarship. The Robert Tyre Jones Jr. Scholarships are designed to award all-around excellence in students exchanging between the University of St Andrews and selected Canadian universities (Queen's and the University of Western Ontario). These scholarships are awarded based on outstanding academic performance. Candidates must show a passion for the pursuit of learning and a commitment to the ongoing life of their university and/or wider community.
The scholarships are valued at $6,000 CDN each and there are 4 positions available for this scholarship and exchange. The Queen's-St Andrews exchange is open to undergraduate students from the Faculty of Arts and Science and Smith Engineering.
January 12, 2024 @ 4pm EST.
You must be:
- Enrolled in an Honours (four-year) program at Queen's.
- Enrolled full-time in second year of a degree program in the Faculty of Arts and Science or Smith Engineering and be returning to Queen's to complete an Honours degree
- In good academic standing, with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.2 or higher at the time of the application deadline (January).
- Meet the requirements of the exchange partner university regarding level of entry, GPA, and term(s) of attendance.
Complete the online application form
You do not need to pay the program fee now. You will be asked to pay if your application is successful and you accept your exchange offer.
Submit supporting documents with the online application
You must submit your Essay (max 2 pages, double spaced), the Canadian Robert T. Jones Scholarship Application, Explanatory Letter, Resume, and Letter of Reference.
Previous university transcript (not required for all students)
Please review the following section for specific information on each supporting document. Here are some important supporting document reminders:
- Submit all supporting documents through the online application by the published deadlines to ensure a complete application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Include your name and student number on all supporting documents.
- Rigorously check all supporting documents for spelling and grammatical errors as they will be read by the selection committee.
You must write an essay on how the life of Robert Tyre Jones, Jr. relates to your life, experiences, and goals. The essay must be typed, double spaced and no longer than two pages in length.
This application must be printed, signed in full and submitted online to the International Programs Office along with other supporting documents.
You must submit a letter explaining why you wish to attend the University of St Andrews and the program of study. The letter must contain the your signature.
Résumés should be a maximum of two pages. The selection committee is interested in the experiences that show the student to be someone who is engaged, well-rounded, mature, and capable of taking on a new challenge. Include information about evidenced intercultural experiences, work experience, volunteer experience, training, participating in sports teams, or clubs, etc. all during post-secondary studies at Queen's (or at the BISC for students who were in the BISC First-Year Program). Consult with Career Services if uncertain about how to prepare a résumé or if you want a second pair of eyes to go over it one-on-one with you.
Applicants are not required to obtain an official Queen's transcript from the Registrar's Office as the IPO office is able to access academic records for the application.
Transfer students should submit a copy of their transcript from their previous university. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted.
Students are required to obtain an academic letter of reference from a faculty member at Queen's University. This letter should be printed on departmental letterhead. Students should select a Faculty member who has had an opportunity to observe their academic strengths through coursework. (Note: Professors are able to submit their letters of reference to the IPO directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if they do not wish to release it to the student.)
Applications for the University of St Andrews exchange program are forwarded to the appropriate faculty for review and successful candidates are put forward to the selection committee for consideration. Select applicants will be contacted by the Office of Financial Aid and Awards for an interview with the selection committee in the final stage of the application process.
A selection committee composed of university academic staff will adjudicate the applications and will, in cooperation with the Board of Trustees of the Canadian Robert T. Jones, Jr. Scholarship Foundation, select the award winners.
Want to learn more about exchange? While most students will start their research in 2nd year, it's never too early to begin! Come to one of our Fall info sessions such as Exchange 101, Get an A+ in Exchange, Funding Exchange, Meet the Partners, and more!See upcoming events