Faculty, Engineering & Applied Physics
Physics, Engineering Physics & Astronomy
Arts & Science
PhD (McGill University)
We have broad research interests in silicon photonics, nanophotonics, photonic integrated circuits, and neuromorphic computing. Our research follows an interdisciplinary approach to address grand engineering challenges with fundamental physical insights. Recently, we have been designing and building programmable nanophotonic processors with applications to scientific computing (deep learning and nonlinear programming) and the study of complex systems. Please visit Shastri Lab to find out more.
Honours and Awards (Selected):
- IUPAP Young Scientist Prize in Optics (2020)
- OSA Senior Member (2020)
- AMS Undergraduate Research Mentorship Award, Queen’s University (2020)
- IEEE Senior Member (2019)
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship, Government of Canada, NSERC (2014–2016)
- IEEE Photonics Conference Student Paper Award (2014)
- D. W. Ambridge Prize, McGill University (2012)
- IEEE Photonics Society Graduate Student Fellowship (2011)
- NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship (2011–2013)
- SPIE Scholarship in Optics and Photonics (2011)
- IEEE Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems (MWSCAS) Best Student Paper Award (2010)
- IEEE Microsystems and Nanoelectronics Research Conference (MNRC) Silver Leaf Certificate (2008)
- IEEE Lance Stafford Larson Outstanding Student Award, IEEE Computer Society (2004)
- IEEE Life Member Award, IEEE Canada (2003)
Selected Publications:Up to date publications list
- [Book] P. R. Prucnal and B. J. Shastri, Neuromorphic Photonics, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, Florida (2017).
- [Invited] T. Ferreira de Lima et al. Primer on silicon neuromorphic photonic processors: architecture and compiler. Nanophotonics 9, 4055–4073 (2020).
- C. Huang et al. Demonstration of scalable microring weight bank control for large-scale photonic integrated circuits. APL Photonics 5, 040803 (2020).
- V. Bangari et al. Digital electronics and analog photonics for convolutional neural networks (DEAP- CNNs). IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 26, 7701213 (2020).
- A. N. Tait et al. A silicon photonic modulator neuron. Physical Review Applied 11, 064043 (2019).
- [Invited] H.-T. Peng et al. Neuromorphic photonic integrated circuits. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 24, 6101715 (2018).
- A. N. Tait et al. Neuromorphic photonic networks using silicon photonic weight banks. Scientific Reports 7, 7430 (2017).
- [Review] P. R. Prucnal*, B. J. Shastri* et al. Recent progress in semiconductor excitable lasers for photonic spike processing. Advances in Optics and Photonics 8, 228–299 (2016). [*equal contribution]
- B. J. Shastri et al. Spike processing with a graphene excitable laser. Scientific Reports 6, 19126 (2016).