IDEAS (Innovation, Diversity, Exploration & Advancement in STEM) Camp is a 5 day camp concentrating on hands-on activities related to astronomy and physics! Meant for youths going into grades 7, 8, and 9, explore the cosmos and carry out real science experiments with the close guidance of leading female scientists in the field!
The IDEAS Camp program emphasizes community and values-based education, fun, fostering a love of the sciences, leadership development, individual growth, and team-based problem solving. Located in Kingston, Ontario, IDEAS Camp will take place at Queen's University - the home of Nobel Laureate Arthur B. McDonald and the lead institution of SNOLAB, one of the most sophisticated physics laboratories in the world.
IDEAS Camp is supported primarily by the Queen's University Department of Physics, Engineering Physics & Astronomy, The Arthur B. McDonald Canadian Astroparticle Physics Research Institute, SNOLAB, and The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada.
IDEAS Camp 5 day camp that is meant to foster a love for science, leadership, and creativity in youths going into grades 7, 8 and 9 through hands-on activities. All activities are carefully crafted and led by leading female scientists and role models.
Each day is split into three components:
- A number of thrilling laboratory experiments from using a stellar observatory to building electronics will be available. All campers will have the opportunity to explore all of the different laboratory activities we offer.
- Campers will get to interact closely with one of many scientists from a vast range of fields to explore a topic of their interest from supernovae to subatomic particles during the week. Campers can specify their preference of topic during registration.
- A number of science and leadership groups from around the province will provide activities for our campers ranging from robotics and creative expression.
To be announced for 2022.
Check here soon for details about IDEAS Camp 2022! There is no registration fee, and lunch will be provided. As this is a day camp, there will be no other meals or accommodations provided. The camp is open to members of all backgrounds, nationalities, religions and genders.
Registration for IDEAS Camp 2022 has not opened yet. When it does, visit registration instructions for details.
The camp is free of cost. Lunch and snacks will be provided.
For any questions regarding IDEAS Initiative, including those about programming and registration, please email us at:
IDEAS Executive Team:
- Benjamin Tam, Chairperson: email@example.com
- Jasmine Corning, Vice-Chairperson: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stephanie Walton, Executive Director: email@example.com
- Kelly Cathcart, Operations Director: firstname.lastname@example.org (On Leave)
- Simran Nerval, External Affairs Director: email@example.com
IDEAS Initiative Supporters
We are proud to be supported by the following organisations: