Faculty, Engineering & Applied Physics
Physics, Engineering Physics & Astronomy
Arts & Science
PhD (McGill University)
Prof. Shastri has openings for new graduate students.
See Applicants for how to apply.
We have broad research interests in silicon photonics, nanophotonics, photonic integrated circuits, and neuromorphic computing. Our research follows an interdisciplinary approach to address grand engineering challenges with fundamental physical insights. Recently, we have been designing and building programmable nanophotonic processors with applications to scientific computing (deep learning and nonlinear programming) and the study of complex systems. Please visit Shastri Lab to find out more.
Honours and Awards (Selected):
- iCANX Young Scientist Award (2022)
- SPIE Early Career Achievement Award - Academic (2022)
- Vector Institute Faculty Affiliate (2020–2024)
- IUPAP Young Scientist Prize in Optics (2020)
- OSA Senior Member (2020)
- AMS Undergraduate Research Mentorship Award, Queen’s University (2020)
- IEEE Senior Member (2019)
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship, Government of Canada, NSERC (2014–2016)
- IEEE Photonics Conference Student Paper Award (2014)
- D. W. Ambridge Prize, McGill University (2012)
- IEEE Photonics Society Graduate Student Fellowship (2011)
- NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship (2011–2013)
- SPIE Scholarship in Optics and Photonics (2011)
- IEEE Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems (MWSCAS) Best Student Paper Award (2010)
- IEEE Microsystems and Nanoelectronics Research Conference (MNRC) Silver Leaf Certificate (2008)
- IEEE Lance Stafford Larson Outstanding Student Award, IEEE Computer Society (2004)
- IEEE Life Member Award, IEEE Canada (2003)
- J. Ewaniuk et al. Imperfect quantum photonic neural networks Advanced Quantum Technologies, 2200125 (2023).
R. A. Soref et al. A silicon-based XOI wafer: most general electronics-photonics platform for computing, sensing, and communications IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quant. Electron. 29, 8200108 (2023).
M. J. Filipovich et al. Silicon photonic architecture for training deep neural networks with direct feedback alignment Optica 9, 1323–1332 (2022).
W. Zhang et al. Silicon microring synapses enable photonic deep learning beyond 9-bit precision Optica 9, 579–584 (2022).
M. Tamura et al. Inducing optical self-pulsation by electrically tuning graphene on a silicon microring Nanophotonics 11, 4017-4025 (2022).
I. Taghav et al. Polymer modulators in silicon photonics: review and projections Nanophotonics 11, 3855–3870 (2022).
C. Huang et al. Prospects and applications of photonic neural networks Adv. Phys-X 7, 1981155 (2022).
C. Huang et al. A silicon photonic-electronic neural network for fibre nonlinearity compensation Nature Electronics 4, 837–844 (2021).
B. J. Shastri et al. Photonic for artificial intelligence and neuromorphic computing Nature Photonics 15, 102–114 (2021).
[Book] P. R. Prucnal and B. J. Shastri, Neuromorphic Photonics, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, Florida (2017).