Application Building Blocks
- This webpage has a few templates that faculty can use when they are developing parts of their funding application, such as the budget or letters of support.
- Please note that many funding agencies have their own templates. Those should always be used when they are provided.
- If you are looking for examples of successful proposals from a particular funding agency, please contact a research projects advisor in your relevant discipline for more information.
- Letters of Support: Below are some examples letter of support. Please note that some funding agencies have specific requirements such for letters (e.g., length, formatting, content). Be sure to follow all agency guidelines when drafting letters of support.
- (** Queen's NetID required for access) - a template for a letter of support from a colleague who will be acting as a collaborator on your research grant. Letter of Collaboration (WORD 20 KB)
- (** Queen's NetID required for access) a template for a letter from a partner organization that is expressing support for your project but is NOT offering specific cash/in-kind contributions to the project. Letter of Support (no cash/in-kind) (WORD 20 KB)
- (** Queen's NetID required for access) a template for a letter from a partner organization that is offering specific cash / in-kind contributions to your project. Letter of Support (with cash/in-kind) (WORD 21 KB)
- CIHR Guide to Letters of Support - a detailed guide on how to write a strong letter of support. Appendix A provides a quick reference guide .
- Budget templates: Most funding agencies have a specific budget template for applicants to use. If not, you may be required to create your own budget summary and/or justification.
- (** Queen's NetID required for access) - a simple annual summary of project expenses. Annual budget template (no partner contributions) (EXCEL 13 KB)
- (** Queen's NetID required for access) - an annual budget summary that includes funding requests to a funding agency and cash / in-kind contributions from a partner organization. Annual budget template (partner contributions) (EXCEL 47 KB)
- (** Queen's NetID required for access) - an example justification in table format. Budget justification template (WORD 19 KB)
- Capturing & Justifying Costs: For details on how to accurately capture and justify costs in different budget categories to develop a strong budget justification, please see the budget resources page.
Project Summary: Most funding agencies require you to provide a scientific summary of your research project. Be sure to follow any agency guidelines for your particular funding opportunity regarding length, content, etc.
- (** Queen's NetID required for access): Some funding agencies require a summary of your project timeline. For simple projects a written summary of the timeline in the proposal's approach section might be sufficient but for more complex projects with overlapping objectives, this Gantt Chart template can be used. Project Timeline (WORD 17 KB)