Last Modified: April 1, 2021
- Purpose/Reason for this policy
- Policy Statement
- Prohibited Uses
- Content Standards
- Monitoring and Enforcement
- Related Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines
Queen’s University ("Queen's", the "University", "we", or "us") provides access to a guest network for short-term access to the Queen's University Information Technology (IT) resources, including the university wireless and wired networks (the "Network"). Network access is provided as a courtesy and convenience to you on an as-is basis. Use of our Network is at your own risk.
This Acceptable Use Policy (this "AUP") governs your access to and use of the Network. Queen's reserves the right to amend, alter, or modify your conduct requirements as set forth in this AUP at any time. By clicking to accept or agree to the AUP, you accept and agree to be bound and abide by this AUP. If you do not want to agree to this AUP, you must not access or use the Network.
Sensitive Information: An electronic set of information or data, such as a database, file or document, that is classified as personal, confidential, or operationally-sensitive, as defined under the Queen's University Data Classification Standard. Whether it is stored on or off campus does not matter.
For other definitions, please see Electronic Information Security Definitions
The purpose of this policy is to establish the responsibilities of guests of the Queen's community with respect to their use of Information Technology (IT) resources, and those actions necessary or that should be avoided in order to fulfill these responsibilities.
The use of Queen's University information technology (IT) resources must be consistent with the academic mission of the university. These IT resources are provided to support the teaching, learning, research and administrative activities of the Queen's community. As a guest of the Queen's community, you may have access to valuable internal and external networks and resources, and Sensitive Information, and you are expected to use these resources in a responsible, ethical, and legal manner. Your actions should not adversely affect the ability of others to use these resources, or compromise the security and privacy of sensitive information.
You may use the Network only for lawful purposes and in accordance with this AUP. You will, while connected to the Network:
- Take the necessary precautions to prevent theft or unauthorized use of computers, storage devices, and information;
- Respect the copyright and intellectual property rights of others;
- Respect the licensing agreements and terms for all software, and only install and use software as permitted in the license agreement for that software;
- Respect the licensing agreements and terms for all electronic resources including databases, journals, books and other print, audio, and video content;
- Maintain familiarity with Queen’s Information Security Policies, Standards and Guidelines, and seek clarification from Queen's IT Services about any elements that are unclear; and
- Report suspected, known, or observed IT or information security risks or exposures of a serious nature by following the Procedures for Reporting IT or Information Security Incidents or Risks.
You agree not to use the Network:
- In any way to circumvent the Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources Policy applicable to Queen’s faculty, staff, students, contractors, or agents engaged by a department or employee;
- In any way that violates any applicable federal, provincial, territorial, local, or international law or regulation (including, without limitation, any laws regarding the export of data or software to and from the Canada or other countries);
- For the purpose of exploiting, harming, or attempting to exploit or harm, minors in any way by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personal information, or otherwise;
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use, or re-use any material which violates the rights of any individual or entity established in any jurisdiction.
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any advertising or promotional material, including any "junk mail", "chain letter", "spam", or any other similar solicitation.
- To impersonate or attempt to impersonate the university, a Queen's employee, another user, or any other person or entity (including, without limitation, by using email addresses or screen names associated with any of the foregoing).
- To engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits anyone's use or enjoyment of the Network, or which, as determined by us, may harm Queen's or users of the Network or expose them to liability.
- To use IT resources for commercial activities unless such activities have been authorized in writing by the university, and do not adversely impact other users, or introduce risk to the security of personal or confidential information or the Queen’s IT infrastructure.
Additionally, you agree not to:
- Use the Network in any manner that could disable, overburden, damage, or impair the Network or interfere with any other party's use of the Network, including their ability to engage in real time activities through the Network.
- Use any robot, spider, or other automatic device, process, or means to access the Network for any purpose, including monitoring or copying any Network traffic or resources available on the Network.
- Use any manual process to monitor or copy any Network traffic or resources available on the Network or for any other unauthorized purpose without our prior written consent.
- Use any device, software, or routine that interferes with the proper working of the Network.
- Introduce any viruses, trojan horses, worms, logic bombs, or other software or material which is malicious or technologically harmful.
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to, interfere with, damage, or disrupt any parts of the Network or any server, computer, database, or other resource or element connected to the Network.
- Violate, attempt to violate, or knowingly facilitate the violation of the security or integrity of the Network.
- Otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Network.
You agree not to use the Network to send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use, or re-use any material which:
- Contains any material that is defamatory, obscene, indecent, abusive, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful, inflammatory, or otherwise objectionable.
- Promotes sexually explicit or pornographic material, violence, or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age.
- Infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other intellectual property or other rights of any other person.
- Violates the legal rights (including the rights of personality, publicity, and privacy) of others or contains any material that could give rise to any civil or criminal liability under applicable laws or regulations.
- Is likely to deceive any person.
- Promotes any illegal activity or advocates, promotes, or assists any unlawful act.
- Impersonates any person or misrepresents your identity or affiliation with any person or organization.
- Involves commercial activities or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes, and other sales promotions, barter, or advertising.
- Gives the impression that they emanate from or are endorsed by us or any other person or entity, if this is not the case.
Queen's, in its sole discretion, will determine whether your conduct is in compliance with this AUP. We have the right to:
- Take any action we deem necessary or appropriate in our sole discretion if we believe a user's conduct violates this AUP, infringes any intellectual property right or other right of any person or entity, threatens the personal safety of users of the Network or the public, or could create liability for Queen's.
- Disclose your identity or other information about you to any third party who claims that material posted by you violates their rights, including their intellectual property rights or their right to privacy in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, RSO 1990, c. F.31, and other applicable legislation.
- Take appropriate legal action, including without limitation, referral to law enforcement, for any illegal or unauthorized use of the Network.
- Terminate or suspend your access to all or part of the Network for any or no reason, including without limitation, any violation of this AUP.
Without limiting the foregoing, we have the right to fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing us to disclose the identity or other information of anyone who accesses or uses the Network. YOU WAIVE AND HOLD HARMLESS QUEENS AND ITS AFFILIATES, LICENSEES, AND SERVICE PROVIDERS FROM ANY CLAIMS RESULTING FROM ANY ACTION TAKEN BY ANY OF THE FOREGOING PARTIES DURING, OR TAKEN AS A CONSEQUENCE OF, INVESTIGATIONS BY EITHER SUCH PARTIES OR LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.