As part of Housing and Ancillary Services, Hospitality Services believes healthy and sustainable food operations that provide delicious, high-quality meals to students, staff, and faculty is an essential ingredient in the University experience. With several campus food locations, three All-You-Care-To-Eat dining halls and a campus catering service, Hospitality Services has commitments to sustainability practices at all service levels.
Recent sustainability highlights across Hospitality Services include:
- 25,210 single-use containers diverted from waste through GOOD TO GO reusable container initiative
- 11,099 plant forward burgers sold in all dining locations
- 665,280 free-run eggs served across campus
- 4493 meals utilized through Swipe It Forward
- 8611 pounds of food donated to local food banks and community shelter
- 42% of food purchased within 500km
- 67% of food purchased within Canada
- 177 students with food allergies or special dietary needs supported in residence
- LeanPath digital food waste management systems is implemented in all dining halls
- Queen’s University becomes the 41st Fairtrade Campus in Canada
- Hospitality Services purchases 100% sustainable seafood
Hospitality Services is part of the Housing and Ancillary Services (H&A) portfolio, and together commit to advancing the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) across the department. We call upon our leadership teams, staff, and community members to engage, invest, and commit to progressive, sustainable goals that will significantly mobilize efforts towards these objectives.
The Sustainability Framework is a living document that records important drivers of progress in all 17 SDG areas through collaboration with stakeholders across the portfolio and Queen’s campus partners.
To date, H&A’s achievements are most evident in the following SDGs:
SDG 1: No Poverty SDG 4: Quality Education
SDG 2: Zero Hunger SDG 10: Reducing Inequalities
SDG 3: Good Health and Wellbeing SDG 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
Sustainable development is a collective responsibility. Housing and Ancillary Services strives to build innovatively and positively contribute to goals in all 17 SDG areas. H&A welcomes opportunities to expand partnerships with campus and community groups with a shared vision to make a more sustainable and prosperous future for all.
READ THE FULL SUSTAINABILITY FRAMEWORK!(PDF 6MB)