As part of Housing and Ancillary Services, Hospitality Services believes healthy and sustainable food operations that provide delicious, high-quality meals to students, staff, and faculty is an essential ingredient in the University experience. With several campus food locations, three All-You-Care-To-Eat dining halls and a campus catering service, Hospitality Services has commitments to sustainability practices at all service levels.
Recent sustainability highlights across Hospitality Services include:
- 25,210 single-use containers diverted from waste through GOOD TO GO reusable container initiative
- 11,099 plant forward burgers sold in all dining locations
- 665,280 free-run eggs served across campus
- 4493 meals utilized through Swipe It Forward
- 8611 pounds of food donated to local food banks and community shelter
- 42% of food purchased within 500km
- 67% of food purchased within Canada
- 177 students with food allergies or special dietary needs supported in residence
- LeanPath digital food waste management systems is implemented in all dining halls
- Queen’s University becomes the 41st Fairtrade Campus in Canada
- Hospitality Services purchases 100% sustainable seafood
Sustainable development is a collective responsibility. Housing and Ancillary Services strives to build innovatively and positively contribute to goals in all 17 SDG areas. H&A welcomes opportunities to expand partnerships with campus and community groups with a shared vision to make a more sustainable and prosperous future for all.