University Registrar


University Registrar

site header


International Students

Queen's University is a world-class institution whose alumni are spread across the globe in over 155 countries.

We take great pride and pleasure in welcoming students to Queen's, to Kingston, and to Canada.

In this section, you can find information on services and programs that will help you make the most of your time with us.


If you are not a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident (Landed Immigrant), or a person registered as Indigenous within the meaning of the Indian Act, you are charged the international fee (see Undergraduate Tuition Fees - International or Graduate Tuition Fees - International).

A number of exemptions may apply to International students. A short description of each of these categories follows. Each of these cases must be examined individually by fee assessment staff in the Office of the University Registrar, in Gordon Hall.

International students who qualify for an exemption are charged domestic fees (see relevant Domestic fees schedule on the Fees section of our website. International students with questions about their fees or payments can contact the Office of the University Registrar by telephone at 613-533-6894 or by fax at 613-533-2068.

Exemption Categories

To be exempt from the international fee rate, a person must fall into one of the exemption categories. A complete listing can be viewed in the following PDF:

International Fee Exemption Categories (74 KB)

Status Changes

If your status in Canada changes during the term it must be reported with supporting documents to the Office of the University Registrar.

Documentation must be provided before the Ontario government enrolment count dates to affect fees for that term:

Undergraduate Students Graduate Students
November 1st November 1st
February 1st February 1st
May 25th June 30th
July 23rd  


Queen's University International Centre (QUIC)

The Queen's University International Centre (QUIC), provides support to international students, staff and their families.

Services for international students include: University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP),  International Welcome and Orientation, advising and immigration information, English Conversation Program, social activities and intercultural training. The QUIC also offers information regarding housing options for incoming international students. Through its activities the Centre promotes an internationally-informed and cross-culturally sensitive university community. 

To find out more about the services available please visit the QUIC website.

International Housing Support

The QUIC offers information regarding housing options for incoming international students and other community members.

Telephone: +1-613-533-2604

Health Insurance

The University accepts no responsibility for uninsured medical expenses incurred by students or their dependents.

International students registered at Queen's University and residing in Ontario must enroll themselves, and their dependents in Ontario, in mandatory basic health insurance through the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP).

Canadian students from other provinces must inform their local Ministry of Health that they will be studying in Ontario. Canadian students from outside Canada are eligible to apply for free provincial basic health insurance (Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)) while studying in Ontario.

You are eligible to apply for the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) if you have no health or hospital insurance valid in Ontario during OHIP's 3-month waiting period.

Application forms are available at the Queen's University International Centre (QUIC). Please click here to learn about the University Health Insurance Plan.

Office of the Associate Vice-Principal (International)

Representing more than 90 countries from all corners of the globe, Queen’s students, staff, and faculty collectively form a campus that is dynamic in nature and diverse in outlook.

Many Queen’s students enhance their education with an international experience. You may choose to study for your entire first year, or an upper-year term, at the Bader International Study Centre, Queen's campus in the United Kingdom. Or perhaps your sights are set on an international exchange — you can take a language course before you go!

Or perhaps you’ll choose to experience the world closer to home by getting involved in one of the many student-led organizations that are working to make life better for global citizens — socially, politically, environmentally, and economically.

Office of the Associate Vice-Principal (International)