Other Provinces/Territories

Students who are Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or protected persons are eligible to apply for full-time or part-time government student financial aid through their province of residency. 

  • Full-time applications are available online through the provincial or territorial financial aid websites below
  • Part-time applications, depending on the province/territory, may only be available by paper 

Students must apply each academic year for financial aid.

As a Queen's student, you have lots of options for financial aid.

Government Financial Aid by Province/Territory

Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon

Out-of-Province Interest-Free Status

If you are receiving full-time government student financial aid from your province for the current/upcoming study period, your lender (loan servicer) will automatically update your interest-free status based on the study period dates of your current government aid application once your application has processed and full-time enrolment is confirmed.

If you are not receiving government student financial aid from your province for the current/upcoming study period and are enrolled in a full-time course load, you are responsible to update your lender/service provider with your enrolment status. To avoid accruing irreversible interest on your previous government loans, the lender must be updated before your six-month grace period elapses. However, you must be enrolled in full-time studies at the time you submit your request and the request must be submitted prior to the end of your current study period. 

We can only confirm full-time enrolment for the current study period.  We are not permitted to confirm enrolment for previous academic years.

Note: If you apply for government student financial aid late or there is a delay in the processing of your current government funding application and you will not receive your first instalment at the start of your study period, we recommend you update your lender/service provider to avoid accruing interest.

Enrolment in a minimum 60% course load in each term of study (40% course load for students with a permanent disability) can reinstate the interest-free status on government student loans (discontinue payment) during the period of full-time enrolment. Students from outside the province of Ontario may consult the information outlined below for an explanation of how to submit a request for confirmation of enrolment for interest-free status. Ontario students may submit an online “Continuation of Interest-Free Status (CIFS) Application” available via their account on the OSAP website.

We recommend you follow up with your respective lender/service provider to ensure information has been received and interest-free status has been reinstated. Contact your Financial Aid and Awards if you have submitted a request and your interest-free status has not been reinstated (before your 6-month grace period elapses).


How to Maintain Your Interest-Free Status

You have two options to maintain your interest-free status and update your lender(s):

Please note, if you do not have previous federal loans you must request interest-free status via the paper form (see option 2 below) to maintain interest-free status on your outstanding provincial loans.

For further information regarding interest-free status for Ontario students, please see our OSAP section.

The NSLSC Portal – Maintain Interest-Free Status Request Online

  1. Visit National Student Loans Service Centre (canada.ca)
    • Login or register if you are a new user (you will require your SIN, MSFAA, and a phone to access your security code register, you may call the NSLSC 1-888-815-4514 for assistance)
  2. Select Confirm your Enrolment
  3. Complete the required sections
  4. Submit your request
    • Requests will be sent electronically to the school and will be completed by Financial Aid and Awards within 3-5 business days after the study start date
    • You will receive an email from the NSLSC once your request has been processed
    • Financial Aid and Awards cannot process requests received after the study end date or process requests for previous academic years

Available to students who have federal (Canada) loans from the following provinces:

  • AB, BC, NL, NB, NS, SK, YK
  • MB (federal loans updated only: must use paper option 2 below to update provincial lender)
  • PEI (federal loans updated only: must use paper option 2 below to update provincial lender)

All of your lenders (loan servicers) need to be notified of your full-time student status prior to the end of the six-month grace period. If you have loans that are not being serviced by the NSLSC you must use the paper form indicated below.

This option requires you (the borrower) to have Financial Aid and Awards complete the form indicated below; you must submit the completed form to your lender(s).

You may contact your provincial or territorial student financial aid office for further information.

The following forms will maintain your interest-free status:

Waiver of Service Charges

Out-of-province undergraduate students receiving government financial aid may apply for a waiver of service charges equal to the amount of their second instalment. Students must provide proof of the amount of financial aid to the Office of the University Registrar (Financial Aid and Awards). If proof is not available, students may apply for a retroactive waiver of service charges once their funding details are available prior to the winter tuition due date.