Tuition & Fees

An overview of information on tuition and fees for the program that you are interested in, or that you are enrolled in. 

Queen’s School of English studentsreview programs, tuition, and fees relevant to you.

To find out how to enrol, check out our Registration Guide.


Ancillary fees support activities and services provided by the university and by student governments, faculty/school societies, and clubs.  

Ancillary fees

A step-by-step guide to understanding and paying your tuition and fees.

When your tuition and fees are paid and a credit balance remains, you may be eligible for a refund.

How to pay

If you are not a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident (Landed Immigrant), or a person registered as Indigenous within the meaning of the Indian Act, you are charged the international fee (see Undergraduate Tuition Fees or Graduate Tuition Fees).

A number of exemptions may apply to International students. A short description of each of these categories follows. Each of these cases must be examined individually by fee assessment staff in the Office of the University Registrar, in Gordon Hall.

International students who qualify for an exemption are charged domestic fees (refer to the relevant domestic dropdowns on the Undergraduate Tuition Fees or Graduate Tuition Fees pages). International students with questions about their fees or payments can contact the Office of the University Registrar by telephone at 613-533-6894 or by fax at 613-533-2068.

Exemption Categories

To be exempt from the international fee rate, a person must fall into one of the exemption categories. A complete listing can be viewed in the following PDF:

International Fee Exemption Categories (PDF, 96.3 KB)

Status Changes

If your status in Canada changes during the term it must be reported with supporting documents to the Office of the University Registrar.

Documentation must be provided before the Ontario government enrolment count dates to affect fees for that term:

Undergraduate Students

  • November 1
  • February 1
  • May 25
  • July 23

Graduate Students

  • November 1
  • February 1
  • June 30

Health Insurance Coverage

The university accepts no responsibility for uninsured medical expenses incurred by students or their dependents.

In Ontario, there are two different types of health insurance plans: primary and supplementary health insurance. When eligible, all students are encouraged to have coverage in both a primary and a supplementary health plan.

Provides coverage for physician services at clinics and hospitals in Ontario for both emergency and routine needs. In other Canadian locations, the plans provide emergency coverage only. Outside of Canada, the plans offer very limited coverage and should always be combined with a supplementary travel plan.

International Students

International students are required to have, and will automatically be charged for and enrolled in UHIP, the University Health Insurance Plan administered at Queen's Undergraduate International Centre (QUIC) that provides basic medical coverage for most doctor and hospital services in Ontario.

Watch your Queen's email for the message “UHIP - Action Required” or access proof of coverage, add dependents (residing in Ontario), and learn more about UHIP online.

Canadian Students

Canadian students from other provinces must inform their local Ministry of Health that they will be studying in Ontario.

Domestic students who have yet to establish coverage in a provincial/territorial health plan, returning Canadians, or new permanent residents are eligible to apply for OHIP, the Ontario Health Insurance Plan. If you need coverage during the OHIP waiting period, you can request short-term UHIP by email to (include your student number).

Provides a level of coverage for prescription medicine/vaccines, dental care, vision care (eye exam, glasses), physiotherapy, travel coverage, etc.

Your student government office provides a second level of insurance coverage for health costs not covered by a primary health plan.

If you are covered by a health and/or dental plan through a parent, spouse, or sponsor, you can opt out of the university plan by providing proof of coverage to the student insurance provider. Learn more on the Ancillary Fees page.

To learn more about UHIP and the supplementary health plan (from your student government office), including contact information, visit QUIC's information page.

Residence Fees

Questions about residences, residence admission, fees, or room assignments?

Contact Residence Admissions:

  • or 613-533-2550
  • or visit Residence Admissions in Victoria Hall, Room D001
Learn about residence fees

Expenses and Budgets

Estimates for costs you may incur, including tuition and fees, education, and basic living expenses.


Start budgeting