Withdrawal from Studies

Students wishing to withdraw from their studies at Queen's are advised to follow these steps:

  1. You will need to contact your Faculty Office. If you are in residence or have a meal plan, you will need to contact those offices as well
  2. Your Faculty Office will either drop your classes, or require an Appeal for a Late Drop. You will also need to turn in your Student ID Card to the Faculty Office if you are requesting a refund of ancillary fees
  3. Your Faculty Office will forward your Academic Change Form (ACF), appeal decision, and your Student ID Card to the Office of the University Registrar to process your withdrawal
  4. The Office of the University Registrar will withdraw you from studies effective the Advisor Approval Date on the ACF. If you have been registered to the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP), the Queen's University International Centre (QUIC) will be contacted and any applicable refunds will be processed

After a resident has either taken occupancy of a residence room or picked up keys, the resident cannot cancel their residence agreement and are financially responsible for the full 8 month term residence fees (or 4 month term fees for fall only or winter only exchange students).

Medical and Academic Withdrawal

A resident may request cancellation of the agreement only if withdrawing from the university for academic or medical reasons. If a resident is withdrawing for one of these 2 reasons, there are three things they must do to receive a prorated refund of their residence fees:  

  1. Withdraw from program courses through the faculty or Registrar’s office (course enrolment cancellation is verified by the Residence Admissions office)
  2. Fill out the Residence Withdraw Form (PDF, 286.5 KB) and return it to the Residence Admissions office
  3. Vacate their room and return keys to the designated front desk for their building

The withdrawal from residence date will be based on the date that all 3 steps are completed.

Learn more about withdrawal from residence.

Prior to September 30: 100 %

October 1 to January 31: 50 %

February 1 and after: 0 %

View the refund withdrawal schedule for graduate students who withdraw from the university after registration, and the drop date schedule for refunds for dropped undergraduate courses.