U.S. Student Loans

Queen’s University participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program, in which U.S. citizens or eligible U.S. non-citizens may apply for federal loans directly from the U.S. Department of Education. The Federal School Code for Queen's University is G06679.

More international and U.S. student financial aid options

Types of U.S. Student Loans

These loans may be either in the form of a subsidized and/or unsubsidized loan:

  • Subsidized loan: You may be eligible for a subsidized loan based on your financial need. No interest is accrued while you remain in-study in at least half time* (the federal government 'subsidizes' the interest during these periods)
  • Unsubsidized loan: These loans are not based on financial need. Interest will be charged from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. You can choose to pay the interest while you are in school, or allow interest to accumulate and be added to the principal amount

Queen's University is considered a foreign school, you will not be considered for any grants.

Annual Loan

Undergraduate Students

Academic Level Combined Subsidized & Unsubsidized Loan Limits Additional Unsubsidized Additional Unsubsidized Loan for Independent Students
Freshman – 1st Year $3,500 $2,000 $4,000 for a total $6,000               
Sophomore – 2nd Year $4,500 $2,000 $4,000 for a total $6,000         
Junior – 3rd Year & above $5,500 $2,000 $5,000 for a total $7,000             

Graduate Students

Subsidized Loan Limit Unsubsidized Loan Limit Total Federal Direct Loan Limit
$0 $20,500 $20,500

Aggregate Limits

Student Group Subsidized Sub & Unsubsidized Combined
Undergraduate (Dependent) $23,000 $31,000
Undergraduate (Independent) $23,000 $57,500
Graduate Students $65,000 $138,500

Direct PLUS Loans enable parents who are credit worthy to borrow to assist with paying for their child's educational expenses.

The yearly limit on a Direct PLUS Loan is equal to the student's Cost of Attendance (determined by the university) less any other financial aid (including loans) the student will receive.

  • Direct PLUS loans proceeds must be used for authorized educational costs incurred by the dependent student
  • The parent agrees to immediately repay any loan proceeds that cannot be attributed to educational costs for attendance on at least a half time* basis at the school that certified the Direct PLUS Loan

Credit worthy graduate or professional students enrolled in at least half time* in an eligible degree program can borrow up to the total cost of attendance (determined by the university), less any other financial aid (including loans) received.

The yearly limit on a Direct Grad PLUS Loan is equal to the student's Cost of Attendance (determined by the university) less any other financial aid (including loans) the student will receive.

If after exhausting your federal loan options you require additional funding to help with your educational costs, private loans are an option to supplement your U.S. federal direct loans. The total of both loan requests cannot exceed the Cost of Attendance less any other financial aid. Federal loans versus private loans.

If you choose to apply for a private loan, the university is willing to work with whichever lender you choose. Currently the university is only aware of the lenders listed below who provide private loans up to the Cost of Attendance to students who are studying outside of the U.S.

Applying for and Processing U.S. Student Loans

Do You Need Money for School? Apply for Federal Student Aid (PDF, 3.5 MB) is a comprehensive resource from the Office of Federal Student Aid. Students who are U.S. citizens, eligible non-citizens, and who are enrolled in at least half time* in an eligible degree program are eligible to apply. For other eligibility requirements please refer to the Guide to Federal Student Aid.

Recommended date for completion of FAFSA and Master Promissory Note (Steps 1 and 2) is July 1 to allow sufficient time for the first installment of loan funding to be available in September. We will continue to process loan applications after this date, however, we cannot guarantee loan funds will be available in September. Students must reapply each year.

Final deadline – All federal aid must be processed and credited to a student's account before the last day of the semester; all information should be submitted no later than 45 days before the last day of classes to ensure sufficient time for processing student loan applications.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (the Federal School code for Queen's University is G06679).

  • The new FAFSA application is available on October 1 each year
  • We recommend that you submit your FAFSA prior to July 1 to ensure that the first installment of your funds will be available for September

FAFSA federal student aid

  • We will begin processing the Student Aid Reports (SAR) in early July
  • Students who submit their FAFSA after the 15th of August must send an email to Financial Aid and Awards financialaid@queensu.ca confirming that their FAFSA has been submitted
  • You will receive an email from the Financial Aid and Awards confirming the eligible loan amounts for the upcoming year (Note: If you do not receive an email confirming your eligibility, please contact Financial Aid and Awards financialaid@queensu.ca)
  • Students who are enrolled in the Medicine or Nursing programs at Queen's University are not eligible for loans 
  • Students who are enrolled in any online distance learning courses are not eligible to receive federal U.S. Direct loan program funding as per regulation #34 CFR600.51 (d)

Reminder: Utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing the FAFSA on the web. FAFSA completion is easier and more accurate when the IRS Tool is used (to access the IRS Tool, you will require your FAFSA PIN). IRS Data Retrieval also simplifies the verification process since it can be used to update income information.

Common Questions About the FAFSA

All Students

Students who wish to apply for federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized loans must log onto StudentLoans.gov.


  • US citizens or permanent residents who are registered full-time or at least half-time in an eligible degree program are eligible to apply. 
  • Students registered in certificate, diploma, or Continuing Studies programs or online degree programs, and students in the School of Nursing or School of Medicine program are not eligible.
  • Students admitted as Interest students- non-degree are not eligible. (Note: students who are admitted as non-degree-interest students who progress into a degree program would not be eligible for Title IV aid.)

Students must electronically complete a Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan (MPN)

First-year students and first-time borrowers must complete Entrance Counselling 

All students must complete Annual Student Loan Acknowledgment


Parents who wish to apply for a Parent PLUS loan must log onto studentloans.gov and complete the Direct PLUS loan application for Parents and electronically complete a PLUS loan (MPN) for Parents

Graduate Students

Graduate students who wish to apply for a Grad Plus loan must log onto StudentLoans.gov and complete the Direct PLUS loan application for Graduate/Professional Students and electronically complete a PLUS MPN for Graduate/Professional Students.

studentloans.gov – This site is your source for information from the U.S. Department of Education about how to manage your student loans.

To access this site you will require the PIN that you used when you completed your FAFSA.

Once your federal Direct loan is approved the funding will be disbursed in two equal disbursements (undergraduate) or three equal disbursements (graduate) at the beginning of each term. 

  • The disbursement will be sent by the U.S. Department of Education to Queen’s University using Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
  • First time, first-year undergraduate borrowers are required to wait 30 days after the first day of classes before receiving their first disbursement
  • The disbursement will be applied directly to the student fee account. You will receive an email confirming receipt of the disbursement and the Canadian equivalent
  • Once the student account has been paid in full any excess funds will be sent using EFT to your Canadian bank account within 10 days
  • You must provide your Canadian banking information on SOLUS before the excess will be refunded

If you are receiving a federal Direct Parent Plus loan this amount will be applied to the student fee account. Once the student account has been paid in full, we will refund any excess to the student’s Canadian bank account.

The U.S. Department of Education requires all U.S. citizens receiving Direct Loans to participate in Exit Counseling shortly before they graduate, withdraw, or cease to be enrolled in at least half time*.

Go to studentloans.gov to complete Exit counseling. The link can be found under "Complete Counseling" once you sign in. Information on repayment of your student loans is available on the Student Loan Repayment section of the Federal Student Aid website.

Consumer Information

What you need to know about Queen’s University.

This information has been provided for students, families, and staff members as required by the Higher Education Opportunity Act enacted in 2008. If you have questions regarding this information or would like to request a paper copy please contact Financial Aid and Awards by email: financialaid@queensu.ca 

School Program Accreditation

Transfer of Credit Policies

Academic Programs

School of Graduate Studies

Faculty of Law

Campus Bookstore

Student Code of Conduct

Placement in Employment

Privacy of Student Records

Facilities and Services Available to Students with Disabilities

University Ombudsperson

Safeguarding Information

Code of Conduct

The US code of conduct stipulates the following: In order to prohibit a conflict of interest when it comes to private education loans, employees with responsibility for US Loans are prohibited from the following: 

  • Making revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender; 
  • Receiving gifts from a lender, a guarantor, or a loan servicer; 
  • Entering into arrangements providing financial benefit from any lender or affiliate of a lender; 
  • Directing borrowers to a particular lender or refusing or delaying loan certifications; 
  • Offering funds for private loans; 

All agents with responsibility for US loans are reminded at least annually of the code

Distance Studies/Online

U.S. students enrolled in distance education programs, telecommunications courses, and correspondence courses offered by foreign postsecondary schools are not eligible for U.S. Federal loan funding. U.S. law (20 U.S.C. §1088(b)) provides the parameters for U.S. federal student aid eligibility for distance learning programs offered by U.S. postsecondary schools. Within this statute, foreign schools are expressly prohibited, and as such, a U.S. student attending any distance learning program offered by a foreign school is ineligible for U.S. federal student aid programs.

On March 27, 2020, the CARES Act was signed into U.S. law. This law allows the Department of Education to waive the distance education prohibition for foreign institutions. The U.S. Congress passed a one-year extension of the waiver of the Higher Education Act prohibition on the use of online teaching for students receiving U.S. Direct loans at eligible foreign institutions. It was signed into law on 15 March by President Biden. Consequently, for Fall 2022 and/or Winter 2023, you are allowed to have your US federal loans even if you are required to take any Queen’s course(s) offered fully or partially online. In June 2023 this waiver ended and until the law is permanently addressed by US Congress, a student is not eligible to receive federal US loans if they enroll in any online courses.

This waiver does not include programs that are offered fully online at Queen’s University. US students attending these programs are not eligible for Title IV aid ( federal US direct loans). We strongly recommend that you contact Financial Aid and Awards regarding Program Eligibility.
Master of Science in Aging & Health
Master of Health Professions Education Program
Master of Earth and Energy Resources Leadership
Master of Healthcare Quality
Professional Master’s in Education
Masters in Earth and Energy Resources Leadership
Online Bachelor of Arts (General)
Online Bachelor of Health Sciences (General)
Online Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours)
Online Bachelor of Science (General)

Diploma & Certificate Programs

Students enrolled in any diploma and certificate programs are not eligible for Title IV aid. 

Exchanges – U.S. Students

While on official exchange from Queen’s University, you are considered to be a full-time Queen’s University student and you will be paying your tuition to Queen’s University.

The US Department of Education published final regulations which took effect 1 July 2021 which will allow US students enrolled at a Title IV eligible foreign schools to access federal US Direct loans while attending US-eligible universities and colleges and foreign institutions that do not participate in the federal US Direct loan program, for up to 25% of their program of study.  Students must meet all other eligibility requirements.

It is the student’s responsibility to email Financial Aid and Aawrds financialaid@queensu.ca if they intend to pursue any portion of their program at another institution to confirm program eligibility.

Study Abroad

  • You can search for a school on the FAFSA website, choosing the Foreign Country option
  • Students participating in a Study Abroad Program are not eligible to receive federal subsidized/unsubsidized/PLUS through Queen’s University
  • You will be paying your tuition fees to the other school (abroad). You must therefore make arrangements with the school you are attending for financial aid
  • Queen’s University does not participate in consortium agreements for federal student aid. For more information contact Financial Aid and Awards by email financialaid@queensu.ca 

Notice of Availability of Institutional and Financial Aid

Contact information for Assistance in Obtaining Institutional or Financial Aid Information

Cost of Attendance

Debt Management (PDF, 192 KB)

On Aug. 24, 2022, President Biden announced the Student Debt Relief Plan. It includes a one-time student loan cancellation to be granted based on income, and it also extends the student loan payment pause through Dec. 31, 2022. For further information, please visit StudentAid.gov.

Refund Policy

U.S. Direct Loans

Your Federal student loan history may be reviewed through the National Student Loan Data System website or by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Centre at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243 or 319-337-5665). You may access your loan records by clicking on the Financial Aid Review link on the site's home page. Upon selection of any loan from the main list, the Detail Loan Information page displays. This page lists the current Servicer/Lender/Guaranty Agency contact information for the loan. For a FFEL purchased loan, the "Contact" column provides information on the servicer that will be working with you, the borrower. Review your loan history carefully, you may have loans with different servicers. You will find contact information for the Federal Student Aid Loan Servicers online.

All first time borrowers must complete an Entrance Counselling session before their loan can be disbursed. Entrance Counselling can be completed online. We strongly recommend that you also complete Financial Awareness Counselling found on the same website.

All students who cease to be enrolled at least half time* at Queen’s University must complete an online Exit Counselling session.

Exit Counselling Guide (PDF, 402 KB)

Private Educational Loans

US Department of Education Student Loan Information

Title IV aid (US Federal Direct Loan) information is published by the US Department of Education and can be found on their website: Home | Federal Student Aid Queen’s University will provide published information by the US Department of Education to students anytime that it is requested.  This includes the rights and responsibilities of students and schools under the Title IV programs.

Environmental Health and Safety

Vaccinations Policy - Queen's University does not have a vaccinations policy

Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention Program


Academic and Attendance Policies

Direct Student Loan eligibility is based partially on maintaining satisfactory academic progress as defined in the U.S. government regulations (Federal Regulation 34 CFR 668.34). The Academic Progress policy is outlined in the following document: Academic Progress Policy (PDF, 393 KB)

  • If you do not maintain satisfactory academic progress towards your degree requirements in each term of study you may not be eligible to receive loan funding or your current loan funding may be withdrawn

Return to Title IV 

If you withdraw from Queen's or ceases to be enrolled in at least half time* course load it is your responsibility to immediately notify Financial Aid and Awards. Queen's University, using the Return of Title IV Funds (PDF, 367 KB), will determine the amount of loan assistance that has been earned

If you are enrolled in at least a half time* course load in an eligible degree program, and you are not receiving student loans but have previous loans, you may request an In School Deferment. 

  • During deferment you do not need to make payments
  • Once completed, the In School Deferment form must be submitted to Financial Aid and Awards to have the school section completed 
  • The form must be forwarded to the loan servicer. Loan servicer information is available on NSLDS

Queen's University reports student enrolment via the National Student Loan Data Service (NSLDS) for all students accessing federal Direct loan program funds. NSLDS is the U.S. Departments of Education's database for student aid. Students can access all their federal student loan information.

If your status has not been reported to NSLDS by Queen's University it is your responsibility to contact the Financial Aid and Awards to request a deferral.

In School Deferment Form (PDF, 1 MB)

* half time: Undergraduate students registered in 15 credit units over the fall/winter term or 9 credit units if attending one term only, or Graduate students registered as part-time.